Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2024, 08:10 PM

Default Calgary boat and sportsman show .

Has anyone heard if the show is going to improve over last year's show . I was very disappointed last year as it was a lot smaller then the year before. If it doesn't I'm sure I'll pass this year.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:14 PM

Like Edm, it’ll take time to recover from the COVID default year.
I heard Vendors lost their deposits that year, organizers couldn’t refund them as rents were paid.
As a result, Organizer went under and in the last few years the show is trying to come back with a new organizer.

In time, vendor confidence will return and all will be back to the good old days, hoping.

TBark
Old 01-31-2024, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Like Edm, it’ll take time to recover from the COVID default year.
I heard Vendors lost their deposits that year, organizers couldn’t refund them as rents were paid.
As a result, Organizer went under and in the last few years the show is trying to come back with a new organizer.

In time, vendor confidence will return and all will be back to the good old days, hoping.

TBark
Pretty good take IMO.

I'll go pay the stupid parking, pay to enter, buy more damn tickets than I should. If we don't, and these events truly disappear, we'll be gnashing our teeth like we did when Wholesale closed.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-31-2024, 11:00 PM

Last time I went was so long ago. I manned a retail booth for a guy and sold a heap load of stuff. The owner was a horrible salesperson. He asked how I was selling so much stuff. I said simple.

I read the detailed info on each level reel ad why the price jumped. Same with rods. Same with electronics.

The. Asked guys do you want something cheap that will last pretty good and do the trick or something super fancy and cool looking but expensive or the best value alternative in the middle. Most went middle. A few low and some high.

Then knowing where they were going filled a basket with line and hooks etc.

Money was flowing hard.

Now there are hardly any stores… mostly boats and campers and quads and a few outfitters.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-01-2024, 07:36 PM

was very dissapointed with Calgary show last year. absolute waste of my time and money. it will take a few years for my urge to attend to recover..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2024, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Pretty good take IMO.

I'll go pay the stupid parking, pay to enter, buy more damn tickets than I should. If we don't, and these events truly disappear, we'll be gnashing our teeth like we did when Wholesale closed.

Heh! Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:58 PM

Default Exhibitors

I tried to look up from the organizers web site a list of exhibitors, but couldn't find any information. Usually they would have a floor plan at least.

Anyone come across this info??

That would also apply to this weekends Motorcycle Show . . .
Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Pretty good take IMO.

Spot on.

We loved going with the family as just an outdoor-related activity after a long winter. Walk around for many hours with no expectancy of anything serious.
Hope it keeps going and eventually getting back to what it once was.
We waste $100 on way less enjoyable things that don't last anywhere near as long..
Old 02-02-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppysan View Post
I tried to look up from the organizers web site a list of exhibitors, but couldn't find any information. Usually they would have a floor plan at least.

Anyone come across this info??

That would also apply to this weekends Motorcycle Show . . .
I’m working the bike show this year. This has been a somewhat disorganized show as far as set up and information. As far as I know it’s a whole new company running it. I’m sure it will get better as the logistic bugs get worked out.
See ya at the show.
Tullfan
Old 02-02-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Spot on.

Hope it keeps going and eventually getting back to what it once was.
Agreed - the last few years have been real stinkers.

I think the last time I went, our notorious black dodge dually wannabe outfitter had a booth and he was so concerned about getting his teeth knocked in he had cheesy cameras monitoring his booth and a couple of big dummies as his 'bodyguards'. It was hilarious!

Had a nice chat with Terry Grant (mantracker) and the F&W and AHEIA booths were pretty good.

Like as has been said, hope it gets better!
Old 02-06-2024, 09:36 AM

Still no map or list of booths available from the show ....disappointing think I'll be staying home.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:55 AM

One of the biggest issues from what I have been told by some of the exhibitors is the cost to attend the show!! Prices for the exhibitors have gone up substantially and it is just simply not cost effective to attend, some of the bigger boat dealers were seeing a cost of $200-350k to attend!! That is alot of inventory to sell just to cover the cost to attend.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:18 AM

I have been involved with this show and several others there. The booth costs are crazy and not workable for many smaller companies. Many look at it by how much biz missed if not there now or after show customers calling. The main reason you now see all these side RV shows.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Last time I went was so long ago. I manned a retail booth for a guy and sold a heap load of stuff. The owner was a horrible salesperson. He asked how I was selling so much stuff. I said simple.

I read the detailed info on each level reel ad why the price jumped. Same with rods. Same with electronics.

The. Asked guys do you want something cheap that will last pretty good and do the trick or something super fancy and cool looking but expensive or the best value alternative in the middle. Most went middle. A few low and some high.

Then knowing where they were going filled a basket with line and hooks etc.

Money was flowing hard.

Now there are hardly any stores… mostly boats and campers and quads and a few outfitters.

I hope you were not that guy at the fishing hole both that talked me out of buying a g-looms rod a few years ago and said: this other rod is just as good and is 1/4 of the price
So I bought it ,and it was just junk ! Had no back bone just like an ugly Stick.
Lol I know you were not the guy because it was at the Edmonton Show .
Old 02-06-2024, 12:04 PM

I stopped going to these shows long ago as there are more than enough toys for sale on buy and sell sites. Remember, when you buy new you are sending umpteen dollars via GST to your favourite PM to squander as he wishes.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Pretty good take IMO.

Nope ...
Old 02-06-2024, 01:58 PM

I worked in retail management, merchandise selection for many years. 1 trick I always tell people is never buy the absolute so called top of the line item but the series below. More often than not the quality is the same with just some fluff added and we would jack the price way up there. There are many that will pay any price for the most expensive model even though it may be similar to 1 below it and the actual cost is almost identical to make. I never buy the most expensive of anything after 20 years of retail back in my day.

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I hope you were not that guy at the fishing hole both that talked me out of buying a g-looms rod a few years ago and said: this other rod is just as good and is 1/4 of the price
So I bought it ,and it was just junk ! Had no back bone just like an ugly Stick.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Lol. Doubt it. I was there 1984. lol. Store didn’t sell fly rods. Basically a store to buy stuff for pike and walleye. Did have a small spoon and spinner section.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-06-2024, 02:40 PM

If someone wants a laugh… go to a fishing store and just randomly pick up a rod or reel and ask the sales guy about it. If they don’t say they own one right away … ask if they own one and see if they say yes.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If someone wants a laugh… go to a fishing store and just randomly pick up a rod or reel and ask the sales guy about it. If they don’t say they own one right away … ask if they own one and see if they say yes.
I stopped listening to the fishing pros at stores long ago lol

If I started listing the stupid things I have been told it would likely never end
Old 02-06-2024, 08:14 PM

My son will have a booth at edmontons show this year.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:58 PM

When they bring back 'Twiggy - The Water-skiing Squirrel', I'll start attending again!
Old 02-07-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
When they bring back 'Twiggy - The Water-skiing Squirrel', I'll start attending again!
Odds are twiggy is not water skiing anymore lol
Old 02-07-2024, 04:33 PM

Considering what the Stampede board wants for using the building, they just price themselves out of using the building for many, many purposes, that's why the floorspace at that show is what it is, along with the show promoter wanting to make money off it. The sporting goods stores pretty much stopped going many years ago, too much hassle and too expensive. Gun show had the same issue.
Haven't been to it in likely 20ish years, or at least, haven't seen anything I wanted or was interested in there, if I went ( and have forgotten it) in that time period.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:30 AM

I took my dad there yesterday. OFF fly fishing had a good booth, basically their store, plus a casting demo area. A few different fly tying groups. Virtually nothing for firearms besides Scorpion Optics. An African outfitter or two, lots of boats of different styles, some trailers, some quads.
Very small show, a lot smaller than even the fishing show that used to be at Max Bell if it wasn't for the trailers and boats on display. We walked very slow, and stopped in at a few places to chat about a couple of things, one of those stops being over 20 minutes, another at probably 15. We were still done in about 2 hours and 15 minutes, give or take.
Keep in mind, we were there just after they opened on the Friday afternoon so they really weren't very busy yet.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:11 PM

I was there volunteering for the archery shooting trailer that AHEIA has.
I had a hoot! So many positive interactions with people of all ages. The very best was a little girl who had a tantrum, I told mom that I’d handle it, I smoothed out her “feelings” and got her shooting, she left with a smile on her face! That’s a win.

APA archery was there and I got to look at their new offerings, my old Mamba might be heading down the road. It’s been good but others are a bit “gooder.”
Old 02-13-2024, 08:59 PM

I took a pass ... my buddy that I usually go with went and said it will be his last, the show was small and no better then last year .
Old 03-13-2024, 11:05 AM

Heading to the Edm show with the wife and our young Grandson tomorrow afternoon.

Wife went online to get get tickets this morning so we wouldn’t have to walk the full length of the Expo Centre hall to the ticket kiosk (recall this from last year) and come back to start in Hall “A”.

Anyways they appear to use Show Pass for pre-paid tickets online, and what a pain.
No place to enter Win Card info for the $2 discount and then more questions than applying for a passport.
The wife was not going to answer annual income and other personal questions.
Who are these people? Geez.

So she exited to Show Pass site and we will just get tickets at the kiosk when we get there.

Anyways, the Exhibitors list looks to be improving over the last few years.
Hopefully they will fill more than 4 of the Halls this year.

TBark
Old 03-13-2024, 12:11 PM

Anything I am interested in purchasing nowadays I research online, reviews, specs, problems, prices, etc. Once I settle on a brand or make I will go to a dealer or buy used.
Walking around for umpteen hours on cement floors, parking lots, pushing through crowds of gawkers, noise, etc. is akin to walking around Costco, Walmart, or West Edmonton Mall on a weekend.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:20 PM

I went when they were free, I even volunteered at the booths and displays for many years. Back in the 70s and 80s they were huge, lots of displays that werent trying to sell anything, and tens of tousands attended. I kept going till they got to 10 bucks AND started charging for parking. It now costs more than a Costco memebership to go, and Costco has more to look at plus better prices. There are no deals and they don't have much for displays. I am basically being asked to pay to shop at a very few vendors.

They are the ones killing off these shows by driving away the crowds that used to go.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-13-2024 at 03:31 PM.