Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2023, 08:36 AM

Leupold super low or lows, Talley extra lows, and Burris cross slot Zee lows are about it for low options.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:43 AM

Which consequently is what I keep in stock. :-)

Old 10-01-2023, 10:39 AM

Oh they are finicky for sure. But very functional.

Some guys will slip an index card between the scope tube and the ring top piece to help alleviate finish scratching.

Personally I prefer other rings, but have run these rings when I wanted the lowest scope height I can get. (Saddle guns come to mind.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are too many other options that are much easier to install, with less danger of damaging the scope finish, to resort to using the old Weaver rings.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
Ugh, this bit of Fudd lore needs to die.

General clamping force is derived from the elongation of the bolt, which is influenced by the tightening torque. During this tightening process, the impact of Loctite is minimal, often negligible (K-factor difference is hardly anything), especially considering torque specifications achieve bolt tension with an accuracy of about ±30%.

There's way smarter people than me out there on this stuff, so it's easy to do your own research if a person wants.

I hate clean-up of the stuff though.
I did do my own research. Happy to learn more though

In real life:
Unknown thread locker formulation
± 2 in/lbs driver
17-20 in/lb spec so 15% variation (using posted Weatherby/Talley lightweight)
Unknown thread engagement (different receivers)
Unknown number of repeat tightenings causing stretch

Tell me how you are going to figure out shear failure point without a load cell or modifying those variables. Maybe you can get a new bolt, maybe not, not the point. Failure means no go bang, and I haven’t had any dry-torqued bolts back out. Ever. Across dozens of guns and thousands of rounds.

And also the real life empirical improvement of locktite vs dry on a properly prepped and torqued scope mount (we will leave action screws aside for now) used in field conditions and all the force variations that we expose our guns to.

I’m running ATRS lightweights, and they had a very convincing no-locktite write up on the subject posted previously. Informed by the Boeing engineer that help design their scope mounts. I’ve seen some very well written articles by experienced shooters advocating for locktite. Seems there’s smart people on both sides. Calculations and theory only matter if backed up by real life results.

Again, I’m not trying to be a fudd or a Richard, happy to learn.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:12 AM

Shameless, he's not even asking for a freind
Old 10-05-2023, 10:38 AM

My beef about scope mount screws these days, are the Torx heads, the T15 wrenches supplied are a POS, doing one set of rings, ate 6 of those wrenches for me. As to Loctite, they have blue and green for low torque smaller screws and bolts now. I got some Bosch T15 bits off Amazon a while back, they seem to be holding up, haven't wrecked any yet. I have also wrecked Bondhus and Wheeler Torx bits, also some ball head Allen style, all small ones, could be I'm just ham handed too. I had far less issues with the old slotted screws and proper screwdrivers like the Forster's.
I'm a fan of Burris rings, Signatures in particular, won't damage scope surfaces with them, no lapping to worry about, can correct for crooked rails because of base screw holes, the XTR ones with the various inserts are a great invention and a heck of a lot cheaper than the high end one piece stuff like Spuhr and etc. Leupolds with the adj rear base are pretty good too.
I do own thread gauges and feeler gauges, but, never felt a need to use them for the scope mounts, although, it is a good way to get the gaps right, probably help on the torque with getting them even across a 4-6 screw ring.