Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-23-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
any have any pros or cons on a 338 Edge,my son is throwing the idea of doing up a full custom Edge.looking for some Personal exp on this subject.tks
Have you fired a firearm in this recoil category ?
Old 12-23-2022, 04:05 PM

Whether you are getting 3/4” groups with a factory rifle or sub 1/2” in a full custom is irrelevant in a hunting rifle. I can only see the need for a full custom if you plan on competing or possibly for extreme long range. You will never recoup the $ you have into a full custom. Been there done that..
Old 12-23-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Whether you are getting 3/4” groups with a factory rifle or sub 1/2” in a full custom is irrelevant in a hunting rifle. I can only see the need for a full custom if you plan on competing or possibly for extreme long range. You will never recoup the $ you have into a full custom. Been there done that..
I agree. In fact when I first got my Ruger built, it was equipped only with the express sights . It has only been the last 5 years I think that i have been using the scope regularly.
When the loads were originally worked up, I ended up shooting a five shot group of around 1.50 MOA at 100 yards
I then zeroed it at 200 with three shots on the steel , then checked it on steel at 300, and called it good.
I have never shot more than two rounds at any distance with it consecutively since then. My match rifles however are a different story as far as group size and rge amount shot!
Cat
Old 12-23-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
for me, this rifle will stay with me. If i wanted to be practical about it, id just spin a new barrel on my Tikka and get a new stock and bed it.

I will keep this rifle forever, and pass it onto my kids. I have zero plans to ever recoup money back.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
It may be irrelevant, and unnecessary, but sometimes a guy just wants to do it. I've never had a custom rifle, never considered one, or thought I needed one, but a friend persuaded me to try it and I'm quite happy with it. I won't ever do another, checked the box off, but no regrets. It wasn't about any diffeciency in my stock Remington 700s that made me build it. Just did it because I could, and wanted to.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Accuracy, for me, is a very small part of what a custom rifle is. I’m not sure why that ever became the gold standard for rifles?
Old 12-23-2022, 05:55 PM

Agree with you all. But there are some that believe a full custom will make them the next Rob Furlong.
My full custom I have almost 9G into it and I can get as good of groups with my Tikka with a Kreiger 6.5-284 barrel on it.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Have you fired a firearm in this recoil category ?
Best question ever. That’s an eye opener for creedmoor fans!
Old 12-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agree with you all. But there are some that believe a full custom will make them the next Rob Furlong.
My full custom I have almost 9G into it and I can get as good of groups with my Tikka with a Kreiger 6.5-284 barrel on it.
That’s because it’s a 6.5x284 lol
Old 12-23-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That’s because it’s a 6.5x284 lol
Yep, Lapua Brass, Fed210m primer, a Berger bullet and pick almost any powder and they all shoot
Old 12-23-2022, 07:31 PM

The whole custom rifle thing is a bit stupid anymore. Heavy rifles. Big stocks. Breaks. Hubble sized scopes. I honestly don’t get it. There is too much tactical in hunting anymore. We are set up for 500 yards when 90% of the time our shots are half that distance.

A friend recently returned from one of the “Stans” after hunting Ibex. The travelling hunters all had to wait on permits and paperwork for their rifles so all ended up in the same room for a couple of hours. He was using a classic type custom rifle chambered in 30-06. Everyone else had the PRS type arrangements with a new chambering of some sort.

He said he got a hard time and was ole 06 buy the time they all cleared customs. Then they all met up again on the way home. Turns out he killed the biggest Ibex. By a significant margin. His shot was further than anyone else’s, and one of them had scope troubles.

Give me function first. Hunting function, and the rest will fall into place.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
The whole custom rifle thing is a bit stupid anymore. Heavy rifles. Big stocks. Breaks. Hubble sized scopes. I honestly don’t get it. There is too much tactical in hunting anymore. We are set up for 500 yards when 90% of the time our shots are half that distance.

A friend recently returned from one of the “Stans” after hunting Ibex. The travelling hunters all had to wait on permits and paperwork for their rifles so all ended up in the same room for a couple of hours. He was using a classic type custom rifle chambered in 30-06. Everyone else had the PRS type arrangements with a new chambering of some sort.

He said he got a hard time and was ole 06 buy the time they all cleared customs. Then they all met up again on the way home. Turns out he killed the biggest Ibex. By a significant margin. His shot was further than anyone else’s, and one of them had scope troubles.

I don’t see any of that in this thread, but ok
Old 12-23-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:

That was our mutual friend wasn't it? I'd heard he was going on an Ibex hunt, great to hear he got a good one
Old 12-23-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Apparently you misunderstand what "custom" means. It means you come up with a design that is customized to your needs. If you want mountain-hunting light weight, that is what you have built. If you want heavy stand-shooting with big optic for long range, that is what you design. Custom means built to purpose. One man's purpose may be completely different from yours, but that doesn't make it stupid.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
That was our mutual friend wasn't it? I'd heard he was going on an Ibex hunt, great to hear he got a good one
Different guy. Ours is going to Spain. Hasn’t left yet.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Apparently you misunderstand what "custom" means. It means you come up with a design that is customized to your needs. If you want mountain-hunting light weight, that is what you have built. If you want heavy stand-shooting with big optic for long range, that is what you design. Custom means built to purpose. One man's purpose may be completely different from yours, but that doesn't make it stupid.
That’s my point. The purpose isn’t thought of anymore.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
That sounds about right.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-23-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
That’s my point. The purpose isn’t thought of anymore.
That may be an unfair generalization.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That may be an unfair generalization.
Of course it’s a generalization. But it’s trending.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't let it annoy me. You've got nice rifles, shoot em well, enjoy hunting with you family, life is good. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I don’t see any of that in this thread, but ok
Not in this thread, no, but that is very much the trend these days when people talk " custom"
In fact a few years back I was asked why I spent so much money to get someone to build a custom rifle then chamber it in a POS cartridge like the .303 Brit!
The fact was lost on them that the cartridge itself is more than accurate and powerful to 400 yards if need be.
Besides that, it was custom ordered as well as built in a rifle action I love.
No different really than someone special ordering a custom built black powder plains rifle , or a chassis stock rig in 28 Nosler with a 10-50x60 FFP scope , or some lightweight thing with a ten round mag that weighs 6 pounds in 6.5 Grendel.
I really don't care what they build of put together as long
as they are happy with it
What gets me angry is when those people tell me that I need to get into the 21st century, that I need to get with the times of new technology ( because the old is no good apparently) and my stuff is obsolete!

They are correct in that it may not be up to the latest trends, but I like it and it keeps on delivering the mail!
Cat
Old 12-23-2022, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Different guy. Ours is going to Spain. Hasn’t left yet.
You talking bout me hahahhasha
Spain delayed til march
Pakistan on the 7th
Old 12-23-2022, 08:29 PM

My custom…looks like it won’t be to some of the guys above taste…but I guess that’s the point, we can get what we want.
Mine was built for coyotes that hang up at 500 yards and a bit of deer hunting.
Rem 700 that’s been worked over, 20” benchmark barrel in 6 Creedmoor. MDT HNT 26 chassis. Trigger tech trigger.
Scope is a Burris XTR pro 5.5-30.
It’s perfect for what I use it for, wouldn’t change a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You talking bout me hahahhasha
Spain delayed til march
Pakistan on the 7th
Not you, no. This is a guy we each know personally.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:54 PM

My KSA custom.

Always kinda wanted a 17Remingtom for killing coyotes. Had the guys at KSA build this one up for me and it does everything to impress.

Last edited by ruger300; 12-23-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:47 AM

I have KS Arms building me a .224 Valkyrie at the moment on their SAR action. Its my first full custom that I'll have. My second will be a 6Br that I'm gonna make myself at nait on a 700 action and KS Arms barrel. I just don't know which one I'll be getting first, I hope the Valkyrie. Also have another barrel from KS Arms for a 7 saum build on a KS Arms LAR action, but that's for the future.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs24-7 View Post

My custom…looks like it won’t be to some of the guys above taste…but I guess that’s the point, we can get what we want.
Mine was built for coyotes that hang up at 500 yards and a bit of deer hunting.
Rem 700 that’s been worked over, 20” benchmark barrel in 6 Creedmoor. MDT HNT 26 chassis. Trigger tech trigger.
Scope is a Burris XTR pro 5.5-30.
It’s perfect for what I use it for, wouldn’t change a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice rifle XS. How do you like the 6 creed for coyotes, what bullet you running?
Old 12-24-2022, 05:03 AM

Some guys hobbies are cars and some guys hobbies are firearms.

Once in a while I look at some guy restoring an old rust bucket car and wonder why.— Makes them happy .
Old 12-24-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Some guys hobbies are cars and some guys hobbies are firearms.

Once in a while I look at some guy restoring an old rust bucket car and wonder why.— Makes them happy .
Good analogy.
The rifle I pack most these days is a Tikka stainless synthetic that I bought at Wholesale on sale when they were closing out. I took it over to KSA and had them put a 26” 257 wby barrel on it in the same contour as the stock Tikka barrel. I didn’t want turrets to turn but did want a ballistic reticle so I put a NF SHV scope on it. This fall when I was checking zero I shot a .680” group at 300 with it so I’m not sure what Mike and Karl do with these barrels but they sure do shoot.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:14 AM

Defiance Anti-x action

Hopefully you purchased the Defiance already.

With the new owner of Defiance 2023 pricing is looking interesting.