Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

You guys remember the 4 year metis harvesting period? There were many who screamed that the sky was about to fall.. and guess what? Nothing happened! I'm metis, and I took advantage of the harvesting program at that time. But before you climb all over me, let me spell this out to you. In my case, I never filled a freezer trailer full of carcasses. I never shot a pregnant doe and never shot what I couldn't consume. The reason why I took advantage is because of an incident that happened when my son and I went out looking for grouse in 1987. My son and I were shot at by a drunk hunter, he wasn't indian or Metis, he was as white as most of you. He thought that it was ok to sound shoot. Believe me, I don't want to have that experience repeated. When it was legal to harvest under that program, I had my one white tail in my freezer before the opening day, I didn't have to worry if I'd make it home to my family. Do I follow the letter of the law? You bet I do.. Do I buy tags? yes I do, because the purchase of the tags go to support our great sport.
Will I continue to purchase tags and fishing licenses? You bet I will.
Just my two cents here. Now go ahead and tear me a new back side.. have fun.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
you guys remember the 4 year metis harvesting period? there were many who screamed that the sky was about to fall.. and nothing happened! I'm metis, and I took advantage of the harvesting program at that time. but before you climb all over me, let me spell this out to you. In my case, I never filled a freezer trailer full of carcasses. I never shot a pregnant doe and never shot what O couldn't consume. The reason why I took advantage is because of an incident when my son and I went out looking for grouse in 1987. My son and I were shot at by a drunk hunter, he wasn't indian or Metis, he was as white as most of you he thought that it was ok to sound shoot. believe me, I don't want to have that experience repeated. when it was legal to harvest under that program. I had my one white tail in my freezer before the opening day, I didn't have to worry if I'd make it home to my family. Do I follow the letter of the law? you bet I do.. Do I buy tags yes I do because the purchase of the tags go to support our great sport.
will I continue to purchase tags and fishing licenses? you bet I will.

LOL my hunting partner hunted then without a tag as he was allowed and he couldn't buy a chance at an animal . I told him he may as well go buy a tag because he was useless without one
Old 04-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Apart from hunting think of all the other costs! Guess who gets to foot the bill. The government just extend many benefits for 600,000 more people.

LC
Yup, it's way more then how it affects our sport/heritage. The cheque's just keep getting promised and cashed on the backs of the tax payers.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
You guys remember the 4 year metis harvesting period? There were many who screamed that the sky was about to fall.. and guess what? Nothing happened! I'm metis, and I took advantage of the harvesting program at that time. But before you climb all over me, let me spell this out to you. In my case, I never filled a freezer trailer full of carcasses. I never shot a pregnant doe and never shot what I couldn't consume. The reason why I took advantage is because of an incident that happened when my son and I went out looking for grouse in 1987. My son and I were shot at by a drunk hunter, he wasn't indian or Metis, he was as white as most of you. He thought that it was ok to sound shoot. Believe me, I don't want to have that experience repeated. When it was legal to harvest under that program, I had my one white tail in my freezer before the opening day, I didn't have to worry if I'd make it home to my family. Do I follow the letter of the law? You bet I do.. Do I buy tags? yes I do, because the purchase of the tags go to support our great sport.
Will I continue to purchase tags and fishing licenses? You bet I will.
I'll take a shot Trooper lol
Your afraid of getting shot at so you feel the need to put yourself above others and take advantage of what you have been given to go out before everyone else....
You also say the sky hasn't fallen? How do you know? The wait period for most animals has jumped through the roof. What info do you have to say it isn't because of the harvesting of natives and metis?
I am at least glad you support financially to benefit the resource at least.....

I really don't care what color your skin is or what blood you have in your veins. If you need meat then go kill it if that is the cheapest way to support yourself I got no issue with that. But i have a huge issue with overharvest because of individuals that feel it is their right to kill whatever they want when they want. If we all did that in this province there would be no game left. And you can't tell me they do it to feed themselves when they are travelling across provincial borders to hunt. And it isn't right on certain species either like Grizzly bear, sheep and goats.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Your right, not all will grab the harvesting rights and use them. I'm not trying to stir the pot but the reality is, there will be a large number of new, untraceable hunters/fisherman coming from this group of 600,000. How large, who knows, large enough to effect the status quo for those of us who wait on draws? I think so.
Definitely not large enough to effect the status quo. Remember. This is Canada wide
Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I'll take a shot Trooper lol
Your afraid of getting shot at so you feel the need to put yourself above others and take advantage of what you have been given to go out before everyone else....
You also say the sky hasn't fallen? How do you know? The wait period for most animals has jumped through the roof. What info do you have to say it isn't because of the harvesting of natives and metis?
I am at least glad you support financially to benefit the resource at least.....

I really don't care what color your skin is or what blood you have in your veins. If you need meat then go kill it if that is the cheapest way to support yourself I got no issue with that. But i have a huge issue with overharvest because of individuals that feel it is their right to kill whatever they want when they want. If we all did that in this province there would be no game left. And you can't tell me they do it to feed themselves when they are travelling across provincial borders to hunt. And it isn't right on certain species either like Grizzly bear, sheep and goats.
1. I've never over harvested. I said in my post ONE deer in the freezer.. how does that equate to over harvesting? You show me data that supports a truckload of deer and wild game anywhere in the province...
2. I haven't put myself above anyone, unless you think it's okay to get shot at by a drunk.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
We are all native to this earth are we not? Do we not all have the right to provide for ourselves? I enjoy my time spent out doors and the benefits of wild meat, however I do not need to hunt in order to sustain myself so I will continue to abide by the rules set forth to preserve our animal populations. But if a day comes, whether it be by my own accord or someone else, that I have no other option but to hunt in order to provide for and sustain myself and my family I will do so with no regard for "Native rights", "Native lands", "Meti Rights" or "White man laws".
I think many would agree with this statement!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 PM

Manitoba has a huge problem with First Nation people hunting 27/7. You are proably safer hunting in season, than out of season there. That province granted the Metis full native hunting rights a couple of years ago. Since that happened they have had to shut down several zones as the big game populations have almost disappeared.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage.0 View Post
Looks like I'm gonna go knock up a native girl...then its "my right" to hunt when I want! I'm just gonna start and vote liberal from now on, whats the point anymore
Boy are you an ignorant one.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Manitoba has a huge problem with First Nation people hunting 27/7. You are proably safer hunting in season, than out of season there. That province granted the Metis full native hunting rights a couple of years ago. Since that happened they have had to shut down several zones as the big game populations have almost disappeared.
Are you talking about the bad tick year for the moose in Manitoba?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:06 PM

If this happens, I think I'm going to stop buying tags. Simply on principal.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Default I think

We don't have to worry about Metis hunting due to a previous Supreme Court ruling ( Powley) and with that this thread is closed.