View Poll Results: What should I do?
Confront the new arrival and ask if he will move? 87 61.27%
Move my established site? 10 7.04%
Nothing, just hope for the best? 45 31.69%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Did anyone ever notice of ALL the bear bait sites in Alberta I have NEVER heard of anyone being chased or mauled by a black bear at a bait site! Did I miss some? SO then why would there be such a concern about marking bait sites for the public when even the hunter hasn"t been hurt .?
Most instances a hiker would be making fair amount of noise , Then alternately the hunter always sneaks in on a bear , and usually the bear is gone. curious situation ! JUst my take on it.
I personally know of people that encountered aggressive bears at bait sites, but they were armed, and the bears came out on the short end.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Sorry to hear....if he didn't know your site was there and then just found out, he should pack up and move. If he did know it was there and setup anyway that's a big DM.

I know crown land is for everyone, but guys have to give other guys their space. Maybe he won't mind if you sit in his stand one night when it suits the wind better

LC
Old 04-13-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I did talk to him, when he exited the bush.... He had his buddy and they were both packing heat.
were they carrying rifles/shotguns or handguns?
Old 04-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Banned

Hot water bottles for coffee.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

BUT has anyone got any actual proof anyone was injured by a bear NEAR a bear baiting barrel ? not hear say . As in : Hospital proof?
I,m NOT saying it hasnt or can,t .
Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
BUT has anyone got any actual proof anyone was injured by a bear NEAR a bear baiting barrel ? not hear say . As in : Hospital proof?
I,m NOT saying it hasnt or can,t .
Why don't you open another thread and find out?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
Did he know you bait there? I'd talk to him and be polite
x2
Old 04-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
x3

But I wouldn't count previous years bait sites as relevant towards this discussion .

If he had his bait there (this season) before yours, I'd be "respectful" and move.

If he was just setting up, then challenge his morals by asking him to relocate.

You should've talked to him right then & there, it may have nipped it in the bud already.

x2
Old 04-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Gone Hunting

The second mouse to the trap always gets the cheese!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Did anyone ever notice of ALL the bear bait sites in Alberta I have NEVER heard of anyone being chased or mauled by a black bear at a bait site! Did I miss some? SO then why would there be such a concern about marking bait sites for the public when even the hunter hasn"t been hurt .?
Most instances a hiker would be making fair amount of noise , Then alternately the hunter always sneaks in on a bear , and usually the bear is gone. curious situation ! JUst my take on it.
Bear hunters putting out bait are required by law to put up proper signage. The possibilities of anyone getting hurt can be argued no question. But as hunters we have a responsibility to abide to what the regulations set out for us.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

One of these days some hiker or quadder is going to get bit and there is going to be a big kaffufel and lawsuit over it. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully we have a more intelligent provincial government in office by then because I fear what the ndp will do to "remedy" the situation :-/
Old 04-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

Well SLASH I picked this site to post OK?
What I was saying was NO ONE YET has been hit near a bait station in Alberta,That I am aware of .
I am familiar with bear baiting practices and hunting and signage law. . I also trapped them in footholds back in the 60,s and 70,s . And I am still waiting to be eaten alive! LOL
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I had a conversation with him online and he said he is not moving, doesn't think it will be a problem for either of us,...
Is he a younger, perhaps less experienced bear hunter?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I had a wicked bear bait spot on crown land a few yrs ago. I was into my 3rd year in the spot and had a couple good ones coming in. Then one day they just quit coming. Kinda wierd as I thought I was the only bait in the area. Went searching one afternoon and found another bait site about 500-600 yards way. I left my name and number on a note at the tree stand. The fella called me and we talked. Found out it was an outfitter. What do you do? I left the area.
Dont want to start an bash on outfitters as I was part owner of a outfiitting adventure and have guided bears for over 30 years...

But we had a very same situation...this wasnt an outfitter but guides working for an outfitter...they had an agenda they would go into an area look for birds...which usually meant bait in area and set up their baits...
We had a dozen private baits and these "guides" had stations set up within a few hundred yards or even closer of over half of our baits...not a coincidence...

They would only show up once a week to rebait and let us bait every other day, but they just needed to show up bait and would have bears...bears we kept well fed in the area...

We didnt move and got bears...however was upset as they got a bear I have hunted for years and put a pile of work into...oh well!

If you think this is the case contact F&W and discuss it...there will be baits you set up and have neighbors...some will be accidental and coincidence...but if this happens at all your baits its blatant...and may not be outfitters but lazy hunters also.

Neil
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Banned

Whether intentional or not, the unfortunate truth is that there is absolutely nothing Fish & Wildlife can do about baiting too close to each other.

2 years ago I set up a bait in a new area. As usual I spent some time looking around for other baits before I set it up and didn't find anything. A month later (2nd week in May) I got a phone call from an outfitter that claimed his bait was only 300 yards from mine. He was incredibly rude, yelling, swearing and told me that F&W was going to charge me with "interfering with a lawful hunt". I tried several times to have a civil conversation with the guy but there didn't seem to be a civil bone in his body. So the next day I went to investigate and found that his bait was brand new as well and obviously set up after mine. I contacted F&W and explained the whole situation, they told me that simply hunting within 300 yards of each other would never be "interfering with a lawful hunt". The only way this charge would ever come into play is if there was deliberate efforts to sabotage a persons bait or chase bears off while a guy was in the stand.

This is by no means a bash on outfitters. Most outfitters are great guys that are very approachable and level headed
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Whether intentional or not, the unfortunate truth is that there is absolutely nothing Fish & Wildlife can do about baiting too close to each other.
2 years ago I set up a bait in a new area. As usual I spent some time looking around for other baits before I set it up and didn't find anything. A month later (2nd week in May) I got a phone call from an outfitter that claimed his bait was only 300 yards from mine. He was incredibly rude, yelling, swearing and told me that F&W was going to charge me with "interfering with a lawful hunt". I tried several times to have a civil conversation with the guy but there didn't seem to be a civil bone in his body. So the next day I went to investigate and found that his bait was brand new as well and obviously set up after mine. I contacted F&W and explained the whole situation, they told me that simply hunting within 300 yards of each other would never be "interfering with a lawful hunt". The only way this charge would ever come into play is if there was deliberate efforts to sabotage a persons bait or chase bears off while a guy was in the stand.

This is by no means a bash on outfitters. Most outfitters are great guys that are very approachable and level headed
Correct I should have been clearer...
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 AM

save a couple milk jugs full of yer pee
when he isn't at his bait go pour it all over his bait and all around his area
he'll figure nothing around and move out on his own
always works well for me
if they are that ignorant to set up that close to another hunters bait
they get what the deserve
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Stumpslayer;3200558]I did talk to him, when he exited the bush, and didn't push it at that point. He had his buddy and they were both packing heat.

So I agree he may not have known when he set up but he does now (and I set up in the snow) my tracks were clearly visible so assume he set up more recently.

I had a conversation with him online and he said he is not moving, doesn't think it will be a problem for either of us, so I will see how it goes this year, glad I got my target bear in that area last year. If I don't see many bears this year, I will pull it out and relocate next year. Three barrels to move and two stands... just a bit frustrating, I put a lot of time and effort into developing the area and worry that he might start bringing in friends to kill smaller bears etc...[/QUOTE]

I thought you were required to remove all baits and stands once the season comes to an end in the fall ?

What do you feel is appropriate distance for occupancy on crown lands ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
always works well for me
Sad.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
always works well for me
Kinna wrong in so many ways...not to mention ethics...if we all act like *****s ...we all get what we deserve...and the woods will see more *****s than all the toilets in Alberta!

Take this from experiance...you can leave as many jugs of pee in plastic bottles...in the sun heat even...come back next day and bottle will be chewed up..not a drop of pee left...a refreshing soda for boo boo...it is however a good way to judge skull by front canines or fang size...

JMHO
Neil
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM

Read this thread and you can easily see what would happen if baiting deer was allowed here . It's bad enough with Treestand land claims.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Read this thread and you can easily see what would happen if baiting deer was allowed here . It's bad enough with Treestand land claims.
and gangsters packing heat too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Just to bring another angle to the discussion...
The original poster say he's been baiting this site for 9 years. Does anyone think that claiming "ownership" of a site on crown land is kind of a strange concept?
There's always complaining on here about not being allowed access on crown land leases for hunting. Crown land is for everyone, and by everyone I mean me!
Not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or right, just wondering what the general feeling on that is.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
That sucks, i would no doubt relocate if i was in his shoes. There are ignorant people out there.
Go pee by the bait every time you leave