Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Confront the new arrival and ask if he will move? 87 61.27%
Move my established site? 10 7.04%
Nothing, just hope for the best? 45 31.69%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Angry Respect...

Feeling a bit ticked off today...went to check my bait and saw a truck about a km up the road, drive up to check it out and see pails and bags and know its another dude moving in...far too close. I have been baiting this spot for about 9 years now, taken some good bears off of it and now have a decision to make. Move the bait, confront the new arrival or just do my best to have a more attractive site.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

Did he know you bait there? I'd talk to him and be polite
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM

A mile isn't enough distance? Crown land? How much space do you want to claim ? a Township? a county?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
A mile isn't enough distance? Crown land? How much space do you want to claim ? a Township? a county?

The OP posted a km not a mile. I would never place baits a km apart, or even a mile apart. If they are too close there is a good chance that the bears will feed intermittently at both bait sites , rather than feed regularly at one site.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 PM

I would go talk to him, he may not even know you are there. If he does know and insists on being there I would move. We tried to space out our baits by at least 7-10 km's, any closer and the Bears would travel between them and we were just screwing ourselves
Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 PM

have a chat with him, if he stays around, bait it for this year and make yours THE bait for snacks.
we had baits within 3 kms and we always had a lot of bears.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I would go talk to him, he may not even know you are there.
x2
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 PM

Do you have your bait site posted with proper signage? Unless your bait is visible off of the road then I would speculate that maybe they don't even know you are there. I don't know of too many guys who would knowingly set up a bait that close to someone else. I'd try to talk to them and see.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:15 PM

We've abandoned a few baits cause of this.one was the sweetest spot ever too..guys got hostile so we said screw it an left it.hope they enjoyed their stand in the huge dead tree they hung it in.theyll get a great view of our barrels an permanent wood platform 75 yrds away from their stand if their tree doesn't fall down first..sometimes gotta just walk away.sucks.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM

Can't hurt to ask. Worst he can say is no.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

I would go talk to him, he may not even know you are there.
x3

But I wouldn't count previous years bait sites as relevant towards this discussion .

If he had his bait there (this season) before yours, I'd be "respectful" and move.

If he was just setting up, then challenge his morals by asking him to relocate.

You should've talked to him right then & there, it may have nipped it in the bud already.

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 04-11-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Feeling a bit ticked off today...went to check my bait and saw a truck about a km up the road, drive up to check it out and see pails and bags and know its another dude moving in...far too close. I have been baiting this spot for about 9 years now, taken some good bears off of it and now have a decision to make. Move the bait, confront the new arrival or just do my best to have a more attractive site.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Not sure where Respect comes into play it sounds like the other person dosent know your there have a talk see where the conversation goes then take it from there .Good luck
Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well if it is crown land you might be hooped but have a respectful conversation, explain your side of it, maybe he/she had no clue and will move on, don't get into a wanker engagement if things don't work out move on.
Real easy is to treat people the way you would like to be treated and see how that goes, if it is not reciprocated then like I mentioned move on, karma, maybe your new site will be record breaking!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-12-2016, 06:05 AM

I had a wicked bear bait spot on crown land a few yrs ago. I was into my 3rd year in the spot and had a couple good ones coming in. Then one day they just quit coming. Kinda wierd as I thought I was the only bait in the area. Went searching one afternoon and found another bait site about 500-600 yards way. I left my name and number on a note at the tree stand. The fella called me and we talked. Found out it was an outfitter. What do you do? I left the area.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM

Talk to him, see if you guys can put some space between sites. Maybe you find another hunting buddy, maybe you find another dink head. Nevertheless finding the former is worth dealing with the latter.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

I've been in this situation a few times. Most of the time a friendly chat and working together instead of competing was agreed on and everything was tickity boo.

Once in a while you bump into an arsehole that won't cooperate. In that case I just make sure my bait is better and keep all the bears at my site lol.

As mentioned several times it is very likely he's unaware that your bait exists. I'd make a point of going over to say hello next time you see him
Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Default Bear baits

The new arrival should know that you have baits,because of your signs saying Bear bait, which are to protect hikers ect.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Talked it over

I did talk to him, when he exited the bush, and didn't push it at that point. He had his buddy and they were both packing heat.

So I agree he may not have known when he set up but he does now (and I set up in the snow) my tracks were clearly visible so assume he set up more recently.

I had a conversation with him online and he said he is not moving, doesn't think it will be a problem for either of us, so I will see how it goes this year, glad I got my target bear in that area last year. If I don't see many bears this year, I will pull it out and relocate next year. Three barrels to move and two stands... just a bit frustrating, I put a lot of time and effort into developing the area and worry that he might start bringing in friends to kill smaller bears etc...
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I did talk to him, when he exited the bush, and didn't push it at that point. He had his buddy and they were both packing heat.

So I agree he may not have known when he set up but he does now (and I set up in the snow) my tracks were clearly visible so assume he set up more recently.

I had a conversation with him online and he said he is not moving, doesn't think it will be a problem for either of us, so I will see how it goes this year, glad I got my target bear in that area last year. If I don't see many bears this year, I will pull it out and relocate next year. Three barrels to move and two stands... just a bit frustrating, I put a lot of time and effort into developing the area and worry that he might start bringing in friends to kill smaller bears etc...
That sucks, i would no doubt relocate if i was in his shoes. There are ignorant people out there.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
The new arrival should know that you have baits,because of your signs saying Bear bait, which are to protect hikers ect.
Not too many guys put signage a km away from their baits on the side of the road, lol.

To the OP, if I was in your shoes i would do as other suggested, try and have a chat as he likely doesnt even know your there.....if he insists on staying, i wouldnt move, id just up my game a bit and see how the season goes.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM

People are really strange... we had setup on a nice camping spot in the middle of nowhere and there was nobody camping within a 10km radius. This group of low lifes pulls in right next to us and proceeds to party and blast their music all day. We packed up and moved a couple of km's down the road. I don't understand how people can be so ignorant. Sure it's crown land, but does it really make sense to have your bait sites in such close proximity? Very frustrating. I wouldn't even be surprised if they moved into your nice spot after you left.... grrrrr
Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=300magman;3200621]Not too many guys put signage a km away from their baits on the side of the road, lol.

QUOTE]

There are a lot of guys who put up signs a km away and at times even further. I put up signs that say Bear Bait in Area 1.5 kms away on all trails that can access where any of my baits are. People need to know there is bait in the area more than just a few hundred yards or really what's the point.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Trails yes, roads no for me. The OP said the truck was on a road, putting signs on the side of the road saying bear bait ahead would just be inviting trouble imo. Seeing how I have never seen that in many years and 10's of thousands of km's driven in bear baiting area's, I would guess most people aren't putting up signs on a road.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Fair enough. I guess the type of road is a question to be asked. Main roads, secondary roads...totally agree. But lease roads, haul roads, yes there are guys who put up signs on those.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=DJS;3200648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Not too many guys put signage a km away from their baits on the side of the road, lol.

QUOTE]

There are a lot of guys who put up signs a km away and at times even further. I put up signs that say Bear Bait in Area 1.5 kms away on all trails that can access where any of my baits are. People need to know there is bait in the area more than just a few hundred yards or really what's the point.
Warning people there is a bait nearby is one thing. But being too liberal with signage just leads people to your bait. That usually results in your stands & cameras going missing
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM

That sucks to find a spot, make it yours and then have someone so close and then the guy says he is not moving. Empty your old bear spray in a semi circle a few thousand yrds out of their bait site? Joking/sarcastic. No need to start a vandalism battle. About the only thing you can do is try to have the better attractants so the bears come your way and hope they have a crappy season and move on next year. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=ResidentSpokesman;3201443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post

Warning people there is a bait nearby is one thing. But being too liberal with signage just leads people to your bait. That usually results in your stands & cameras going missing

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
he said he is not moving, doesn't think it will be a problem for either of us,
If he doesn't think that two baits only a km apart won't be a problem, then he has no clue.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM

I would go talk to the dude and see what happens.

If he doesn't want to move then it looks like its going to boil down to the start of a new action packed hunting show on Wild TV called "Bait Wars" or "Deadliest Bait" and will probably be hosted by Mike Rowe and hopefully airing after I go to bed.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Banned

Did anyone ever notice of ALL the bear bait sites in Alberta I have NEVER heard of anyone being chased or mauled by a black bear at a bait site! Did I miss some? SO then why would there be such a concern about marking bait sites for the public when even the hunter hasn"t been hurt .?
Most instances a hiker would be making fair amount of noise , Then alternately the hunter always sneaks in on a bear , and usually the bear is gone. curious situation ! JUst my take on it.