Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default what's a good women's pack for a 5-10 day hike?

what's a decent women's pack for a 10 day hike? i've got a 7200 so she'll be able to get by with something smaller if need be.

i got a requisition request for a bigger and better pack this year
Old 04-07-2016, 02:02 PM

I use Osprey packs for backpacking. Absolutely fantastic quality, warranty, and comfort in my experiences. The larger frame models are hard to beat in terms of value for carrying the 40-50lbs I've found.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Go to a good shop and have her back measured so you get the correct size pack for her. I used to struggle with packs that were too big for me. i bought them so they would hold more but that was a mistake. I have a short back so they sold me a Gregory pack with a small sack for a short back and a large hip belt and medium shoulder straps. Best fitting pack I ever had.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Go to a good shop and have her back measured so you get the correct size pack for her. I used to struggle with packs that were too big for me. i bought them so they would hold more but that was a mistake. I have a short back so they sold me a Gregory pack with a small sack for a short back and a large hip belt and medium shoulder straps. Best fitting pack I ever had.
This is really good advice. I know some on here don't like the place but MEC is a good place to start for back packing equipment and knowledge.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM

2x on the Osprey packs. Check out the Ariel line they are specifically countered to fit women. They come in 55L or 65L capacity. If it is a 10 day trip the 65L may be the way to go. They also introduced thier AURA AG line for women with active suspension. I have not used anything from the Atmos (male version of the AURA) lineup but have active suspension packs from other manufacturers and they are nice on long days with a heavy load.

Deuter is also a great manufacturer for female packs. Anything with the SL in the name from them is designed for women and all of thier packs great.

I would stay away from anything with a external web style frame like the Futura series from Deuter. They have nice load distribution and great airflow over your back. The suspension design however lessens your total usable volume in the pack. This makes it a poor choice if you are going to need the volume.

Have her try on some packs at the store. Put some weight in them see how they feel. Each pack fits a little diffent for people and comfort is key. Nothing (other than poor boots) will ruin a backpacking trip like a uncomfortable pack.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:49 PM

I really like the Arcteryx Bora series. Well thought out packs that r very comfy to carry.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 04-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I really like the Arcteryx Bora series. Well thought out packs that r very comfy to carry.
They where great packs still are if you have one. To bad they discontinued the Bora line. The waterproof kangaroo pocket with the dain hole was the cats meow for packing up a wet tent. Many women found them very long in the back from my experience however. And the back panel design is not adjustable. Only drawback on that pack one of the best if it fit.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Isn't a decent pack for a Woman for a 10 day pack..Yours. Sorry nothing of value I'll move on.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
This is really good advice. I know some on here don't like the place but MEC is a good place to start for back packing equipment and knowledge.
I went on my first backpacking trip last summer. Hubby is experienced and has a pack.

Went to MEC, got fitted and educated. Excellent experience!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

Arrow

http://www.mec.ca/shop/womens-backpa...10+50093+50042

If you need some help and want too learn something; go here.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 AM

Kuiu 6000 ultra
Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I use Osprey packs for backpacking. Absolutely fantastic quality, warranty, and comfort in my experiences. The larger frame models are hard to beat in terms of value for carrying the 40-50lbs I've found.
Osprey packs are an awesome option.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Eberlestock packs are extremely adjustable. Might not be marketed for woman but with amount of adjustment the pack can be tailored to fit properly. I guess it just comes down to how much you wanna pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM

I have a 40l Osprey for general purposes, this is my gym bag, travel bag everywhere I go. It fits carry on and it's followed me around the world and I've never had a single issue. I've even used it on numerous weekend hiking trips with way too much strapped to the outside, took a spill with it on riding the dual sport and never a rip or tear despite my abusive ways.

Two years ago I finally retired it from hiking / hunting duty for a bigger bag that could accommodate an animal should the need arise. I went with and would recommend the Kuiu 6000. It's not gonna do the same job as the rich bags (Kifaru, Stone Glacier) for super heavy loads, but IMO it's a great value for the money. Of course with the dollar in the ****ter that value formula may have dropped some.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:28 AM

what does a good woman pack ?
how about a 6 pack of beer for her man
Old 04-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Fit and comfort is the most important thing, especially if she's not as hardcore as you. I'm still getting by with my (gulp!) 20 year old MEC 70L pack. My wife tried on a few at MEC a couple of years ago - they're great bang for buck if they work for you - but we ended up getting an Osprey. So much more comfortable for her when loaded up. Pricey, but if she uses it and loves it it's a no-brainer.

TL;DR I recommend Osprey.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM

My wife has used Osprey packs almost exclusively for her mountaineering, ski touring, and backpacking for nearly a decade. Currently she uses the Ariel series for longer duration trips and raves about it.

Another friend (who probably hikes/backpacks more than anyone I know) likewise swears by her Aerial for longer trips.

Personally, I prefer the fit of the Arc'teryx packs and definitely recommend she check out the Altra series.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 PM

This is Roger's wife. I have many, many miles on my gregory backpack. Ive had it for over 10 years. It's done the west coast trail twice, the grand canyon once plus multiple mountain trips every year. I also bought a daypack from the same brand. I bought both of my packs at Mountain Equipment Coop. They are amazing at helping you find a pack that will fit your body shape. They have the best brand names in the business. Any future packs I buy will be from them. They also have an excellent satisfaction policy and they stand behind what they sell!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Hi there, you could also look into badlands as they make a women's specific pack that fit out hips better in a nice camo.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
what's a decent women's pack for a 10 day hike? i've got a 7200 so she'll be able to get by with something smaller if need be.

i got a requisition request for a bigger and better pack this year
I've got a pack designed for women that's 10 yrs old. Used once 10 yrs ago if you're interested. I can send you details later if you want - let me know.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

thanks for the suggestions guys i really really dislike MEC for their anti hunting crap. so i'll take her to track and trail or something and get her fitted properly
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
I'm still getting by with my (gulp!) 20 year old MEC 70L pack.
Me too. I bought my MEC branded pack waaaay back in 1990 and it's still in use. It's been through France, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Mali, Algeria, India, Singapore and quite a few trips through Western Canada and the US. It's been worn on my back and strapped to the back of my motorcycle. Never needed any repairs. Lots of great memories in that pack!
Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM

I use an Osprey pack myself - but make sure she gets fitted at MEC or somewhere similar. Packs are like boots and shotguns: there are great packs that are not great for you.

And the less extra junk on the pack (too many zippers and compartments) the better. Carry an extra two pounds of creature comforts, not an extra 2lbs of pack.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Shes got to try them on and feel what fits best.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Shes got to try them on and feel what fits best.
don't worry she will i just want to know what people are finding to be the most resilient, comfortable, a good value, etc.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions guys i really really dislike MEC for their anti hunting crap. so i'll take her to track and trail or something and get her fitted properly
Track and trail is miles better than MEC. You won't go wrong there.

Quote:
don't worry she will i just want to know what people are finding to be the most resilient, comfortable, a good value, etc.
My 2 cents:

Best durability - Deuter Generally (Mammut are close second)
Best Fit - Deuter/Osprey (for myself)
Best Value - Osprey Aether (Great quality and not bad on the pocket book)
Best Minimal Pack - Patagonia Ascensionist
Best Trekking pack - Arcteryx Altra
Best Alpine pack - Mammut Trion Pro + or Deuter Guide series

Hounerable mentions:

Mammut Heron Guide
- solid all around backpacking bag with a few really nice features
Gregory Baltoro - Great padding for heavy loads (little on the heavy side)
Deuter Air Contact - Great all around and durable (nothing to fancy but a bag that will last)
Gregory Denali - When you just have to fit the kitchen sink in your pack.
Black Diamond Axis 33 - Great Cragging pack and day hiking
OR Dry Peak Bagger - This is a must have if you ask me. put your clothes and sleeping bag in it inside your main bag to keep them dry. Take it out and have a nice little bag for the day trips returning to base camp.

These are just from my experience and your millage may differ. There are also many other fine packs however.

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 04-13-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Her husband sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM

My wife has an Arc Teryx Bora. They make great packs. The bora has been discontinued but I hear it's replacement is good too. My pack is an osprey. The internal frame broke on my original one and they had discontinued that model (presumably for that reason) so gave me a credit for another. Very good warranty experience. Great packs, we bought other smaller ones too.

fit is the most important though. After she tries on a few packs, check out some of the online Canadian retailers like liveoutthere. Sometimes decent sales pop up.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 PM

Rampart international has a great sale on now for Mystery Ranch packs - including non hunting packs.