Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Tork. Just start a guide school side buisness and instead of charging 2500 for ten days, charge 10k for 3 months. Maybe these guys will figure that's a little more fair...
They'd still complain TM, some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something.

Like I said before. Who do you think this outcome hurt more ? The young folks that wanted to get their start in the business or me ?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Good friend of mine owned an area south central BC. Real good elk & goat area, high & rugged horseback hunts. Problem was he had wicked, wicked hay fever. Myself & 2 friends went a week-10 days for years to pack in hay in August before the hunters arrived. As BC & Red said, there was every wreck known imaginable. We'd catch them shatters off the road, saddle them & ride into camp. Half the dang time we were on something that had 2-3 rides a year ago, then was turned out. Some pretty rank rides, no cell phone cameras then.

We took our own trucks, gas, beer, (which we shared), saddles & did it to help a friend & learn some beautiful country, all the while sharing the camaraderie. We did it for free, for the education, & a chance to fish some beautiful creeks & rivers.

To you fellas that just can't unwrap your heads around the concept of free labor, try to think of it as work for education, instead of cash for education.

Really good idea, Tork, hair on you for trying, the rest of you idjits really need a life.

Last edited by roper1; 04-04-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM

Tork, I think you made a fair proposition. As has been stated before, many people pay thousands of dollars to gain experience that won't come close what you offered. My kids go lope horses and clean stalls for a professional trainer to gain experience and to learn about the business. They enjoy the riding, learn a bunch, and get their own horses broke in exchange for some elbow grease. I don't see how Tork's offer was much different.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 PM

Young people lost because of a select few. They were protected on a medical level and thats all thats important. Hope those who know who they are feel big about themselves. If you didnt like the deal then dont apply it was that simple. People learning to tattoo being mentored dont get paid in dollars they get paid in learning the craft. The list goes on and on.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM

I'm surprised this is such a divisive topic on a forum like this. I'd be jumping on this if i didn't already have a career... I think there is nothing wrong with this offer as Tork made the parameters of the deal perfectly clear. Anyone going for it would have known exactly what they were getting into. There are more valuable rewards in life than money...
Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Weren't you recently encouraging some one to hire people living on the street to catch pigeons for a buck a bird?
Paying them a Buck a bird for the birds you BUY from them.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
I'm surprised this is such a divisive topic on a forum like this. I'd be jumping on this if i didn't already have a career... I think there is nothing wrong with this offer as Tork made the parameters of the deal perfectly clear. Anyone going for it would have known exactly what they were getting into. There are more valuable rewards in life than money...
Well it boils down to some people are workers and some people are money makers but a lot of the money makers ain't workers.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM

This thread makes me wanna leave AO. Too many keyboard morons for me.
Jeff good on you for the offer, Like I said earlier, wish I was younger and in the position I was in 8-10 yrs ago.
Dont deny young people the opportunity you offered, just dont advertise it here. Elk, pete and Deer H its easy to shoot your mouth off behind a keyboard, this isnt the oil patch at 100$ oil. Guiding in a great area, with a great, proven outfitter isnt as easy as getting hired to roughneck for the ****tiest rig company in town for 30$ an hour because NOBODY else is applying. The good opportunities come with hard work. Im willing to bet turnover with Torks guides is slim to none.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Paying them a Buck a bird for the birds you BUY from them.
You would be either hiring them or paying them cash with no tax being paid.
And would they need a licence to operate or WCB?

So would you have them create an illegal opperation out of selling wildlife?
Can you just catch wildlife and sell it?

How many dollars an hour would that work out to?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 PM

The ones that are whinen and say they were guides ,well they problably were before someome slapped them in the soup cooler more than once,i don't think they could find there way out of the sh//ter,but there's all types in this world and that's the way it goes.

Even though I never tried to sign up I would like to thank TORK for given it a fair honest shot,just by what you offered any one with a brain would see your a good person and your intention's were true blue and honest as good be and in the end that's all that matters,and that is why you do what you do this work and enjoy it.More than one way to skin a cat.

My wife of 35 years is program officer for work projects,so guys on E I get do learn a trade and get better employment and skills,even if there E I runs out they don't get paid they still can finnish the coarse,lotsa government stuff if you need help to make this fly,lotsa guys are to proud to go this route,but if you can help someone better there life,by all means and I would go for it without batting an eye at it,and if someone says something rude to me no big deal,insult or make rude remarks about my wife and I am on a plane tonight and we won't be holden hands I know the cocky ones would like to but that's not going to happen,so go set down and pee and think about it,CHEERS

Last edited by JD848; 04-04-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Wish I didn't have a family and a full time job. I would be all over this offer. Heck I would pay money for the experience.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
With each post you get more abusive and threatening, I'm sure most anyone have considered having anything to do with you at a professional level have made " you" for what "you" are,, a blow hard and a cheap skate and full of threats and insults ,

Quite professional indeed
Jeff has been nothing but kind, gracious and helpful in trying to give me a hand at setting up my own little business guiding on the Bow. He also very kindly and unsolicited offered to take me moose hunting up in his home area for free. No fees no nothing. Just a good dude helping out another Albertan.

Seems extremely professional to me.

Unlike some with their condescending remarks and negative posts.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 PM

At the right time in my life I would have been all over this offer, Tork would have had to either "hire" me or get a restraining order. The days of no responsibility or bills are long gone for me though.

I hope this actually happens for someone. It doesn't seem likely at this point though.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

If I wasn't 42 and out of shape I'd jump all over this too. I wouldn't hesitate to gain the sort of experience that this could provide me. In one season I would think that my hunting skills would vastly approve.
Win win I say.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:18 PM

The kids and young guys wanting an adventure and a little schooling got bent over by a few on this forum. What a bunch of clowns. Good try to help some people out Tork and give them a chance at something they never really would ever have. Got to love it when guys send you personal hate mail and threaten you as well......... unreal!!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 PM

What a few large mouths screwed up the other day is a real **** off,but to deny a few young guys a totally whole new way of life forever is fri//ken bull,TORK was not looking at the small picture, he was going to change a few lives forever and help them better them selves in life,not ever young guy knows what he wants in life and sometimes it's just a little encouragement and there off in the right direction,not all may have made it,but only if one did,that's a whole life that could have changed for the better.dam shame.

Last edited by JD848; 04-05-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
What a few large mouths screwed up the other day is a real **** off,but to deny a few young guys a totally whole new way of life forever is fri//ken bull,TORK was not looking at the small picture, he was going to change a few lives forever and help them better them selves in life,not ever young guy knows what he wants in life and sometimes it's just a little encouragement and there off in the right direction,not all may have made it,but only if one did,that's a whole life that could have changed for the better.dam shame.
I wish I had realized the opportunities available guiding when I was younger.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I shot a boar grizzly with slingshot twice , at 20 yards,using 58 cal lead balls for ammo, I have it on video, my daughter and 3 year old grandson were with me ,

I am not frightened by some pizz ant braggart threats ,on the internet
Yet you won't give him your name...your probably better off
Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Yet you won't give him your name...your probably better off
Because he is the real wannabee.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
This thread makes me wanna leave AO. Too many keyboard morons for me.
Jeff good on you for the offer, Like I said earlier, wish I was younger and in the position I was in 8-10 yrs ago.
Dont deny young people the opportunity you offered, just dont advertise it here. Elk, pete and Deer H its easy to shoot your mouth off behind a keyboard, this isnt the oil patch at 100$ oil. Guiding in a great area, with a great, proven outfitter isnt as easy as getting hired to roughneck for the ****tiest rig company in town for 30$ an hour because NOBODY else is applying. The good opportunities come with hard work. Im willing to bet turnover with Torks guides is slim to none.
You stay.
Tork is on track.
Advertise his ideas etc here is a good thing, look at all the positive support, the rest is just background noise.
Leaving the forum, they win which is not acceptable...stay!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 AM

To anyone who was interested in the opportunity, here is a link that allows you to search for the contact info on every outfitter in BC. You can also search the ones in Yukon, and NWT. Maybe this was already posted.

Without offense to Tork, although I did express that I feel he should have offered to pay and still believe that, you can shoot an email to any one of the outiftters and find someone who will take you. Many are gracious, old fashioned folks who are polite and don't mind the inquiry at all.

http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/

This is how I did it 15 years ago. I had a half dozen outfits to choose from who all made offers to me. I spoke to them on the phone, and even met a few of them at a hunters convention before I signed on. ALL who were willing offered minimum wage, plus tips.

Anyone in the right position can find a comparable position to go and have an "apprenticeship" to become a hunting guide in BC, as Tork described in his original post.

...and give Tork some time. Even HE may change his outlook on this one at some point.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 AM

There are guide schools that charge threw the nose for training. Tork is offering to do it for free.

If you go threw college there are many fields that require you to do an internship to finish your course load, many if not most, are unpaid.

I would like to hear from Elkpoop and Pete why what tork is doing is wrong?

If he charged someone 500$/month and called it school, would that get your panties out of a bunch?

Clear this up for me.....
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
To anyone who was interested in the opportunity, here is a link that allows you to search for the contact info on every outfitter in BC. You can also search the ones in Yukon, and NWT. Maybe this was already posted.

Without offense to Tork, although I did express that I feel he should have offered to pay and still believe that, you can shoot an email to any one of the outiftters and find someone who will take you. Many are gracious, old fashioned folks who are polite and don't mind the inquiry at all.

http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/

This is how I did it 15 years ago. I had a half dozen outfits to choose from who all made offers to me. I spoke to them on the phone, and even met a few of them at a hunters convention before I signed on. ALL who were willing offered minimum wage, plus tips.

Anyone in the right position can find a comparable position to go and have an "apprenticeship" to become a hunting guide in BC, as Tork described in his original post.

...and give Tork some time. Even HE may change his outlook on this one at some point.
It's time to let this thread die...people are comparing apples and oranges, Good on Tork for attempting to give a young, green fellow a chance to see what it's like...and that's basically from what I read all he was offering....someone to tag along and see if the lifestyle was what he wanted to pursue
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Banned

Thanks to the BUTT clowns who ruined it for those of us who where interested in this opportunity.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
It's time to let this thread die...people are comparing apples and oranges, Good on Tork for attempting to give a young, green fellow a chance to see what it's like...and that's basically from what I read all he was offering....someone to tag along and see if the lifestyle was what he wanted to pursue
This is not apples and oranges. This is exactly the same. Why is it different?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Thanks to the BUTT clowns who ruined it for those of us who where interested in this opportunity.
Nothing is ruined. Pick up the phone.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cool...then start your own thread advising the young green guys how to get hired on.....
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Cool...then start your own thread advising the young green guys how to get hired on.....
I thought this thread was for those guys. Thanks for your advice though, or permission to post actual/real information that is actionable and not a circle $%rk of the OP. No offense, Tork.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I shot a boar grizzly with slingshot twice , at 20 yards,using 58 cal lead balls for ammo, I have it on video, my daughter and 3 year old grandson were with me ,

I am not frightened by some pizz ant braggart threats ,on the internet
Pics or it didn't happen.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Any idea what they would learn from Tork or someone else. Are the outfits the same?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand