Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Nice one E D.....
Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Well there you have it folks. The Offer to teach these young folks is off the table. I apologize to all those people who contacted me and wasted your time. I felt it was a great opportunity for a couple people but, thanks to some others it's not going to happen now.

(Received a PM on another forum stating that if I did train anybody I would be reported to the labour standards branch)

After a lengthy chat with the employment standards branch today I've been informed that regardless of what we are trying to accomplish here, if ANYBODY feels that any of you did some sort of work during your training I would be accountable for back pay, over time, travel time and any other pay a full time employee would be eligible to.

So my regular guides and trail crew won't have anybody along to teach this season. Thanks everybody. Once again a few ruin it for others !

And before anybody pipes up and says that's just the cost of business. It would cost me about $35,000 out of pocket to teach two young people for the length of time we had intended. I don't have $35,000 to through on the ground for completely green people that may or may not ever work a day in the guiding industry. So now nobody gets to learn. Pretty Facking sad !!!
very unfortunate... I guess the young lads will now have to fork out $2500.00 for a 10 day "guide" school and come out ready to take hunters into the bush....
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Banned

shame.

i guess knowledge has lost it's worth in today's society
Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
very unfortunate... I guess the young lads will now have to fork out $2500.00 for a 10 day "guide" school and come out ready to take hunters into the bush....
It is too bad hal. Spoke to the owner of a guide school this morning about maybe setting my deal up as such. They charge a $1000 for 5 days and the class gets to watch the instructor cape a deer. Watch them shoe a horse and they talk about trail clearing and bush safety.

Boy I know where I'll be getting my future guides from !!!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It is too bad hal. Spoke to the owner of a guide school this morning about maybe setting my deal up as such. They charge a $1000 for 5 days and the class gets to watch the instructor cape a deer. Watch them shoe a horse and they talk about trail clearing and bush safety.

Boy I know where I'll be getting my future guides from !!!
I am very sad when I think what kind of society my grand kids will live in when they are adults....sickening....
Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I am very sad when I think what kind of society my grand kids will live in when they are adults....sickening....

Isn't that the truth.
Welcome to the decline.....first one to the bottom wins.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM

I get the wanting to make sure your covered for injury side, if it was my kid it would be the first thing i would be telling him to ask. This sounded like a sweet hands on work experience and training deal for a young gun wanting to know the true guiding lifestyle/business, not some two week course. Room and board, apprentice under experienced people. Tips too and possible future employment. Seem to recall many a story from my dad and uncles that they got trained initially for room and board back in the day, if they worked out after a set time, they were hired. If the young gun goes into it fully aware of his expectations, work load and such(and no pay), I say they went in eyes open. Could the trainees not get private ins to cover them for their time in the field? To me it sounded like a win win. Good on ya Tork, too bad it went sideways.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not touchy about what MU's I outfit in at all, but why would I give some loud mouthed clown that apparently guided in BC for 20 years but can't even tell somebody else how Guide Outfitters in the province actually operate any information?

I'll let you in on a little secret ! 100,000 Resident BC hunters can fly in, walk in, quad in or otherwise access any area in the province they want to as well.

And who said my hunters don't fly in ? Just because I have ATVs at the camps doesn't mean they were driven there. Did you know an otter can haul 3 Honda Foreman at once ?

But I'm glad you prefer fly in, hike in or pack in on horses. Me and the boys here actually just had a slow clap all for you big guy. I'm sure somebody thinks you're a special little fella
Another method of transporting hunters,, window vans, oh look,

Have a nice day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

Could the trainees not get private ins to cover them for their time in the field?
My insurance and Worksafe BC were fine with it. Said they would be covered based on the lowest salary range that I supply for all guides.

The big risk was Employment standards deciding after the fact and me having to dish out all that cash afterwards. I can't afford to pay out all that money out of the goodness of my heart
Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
My insurance and Worksafe BC were fine with it. Said they would be covered based on the lowest salary range that I supply for all guides.

The big risk was Employment standards deciding after the fact and me having to dish out all that cash afterwards. I can't afford to pay out all that money out of the goodness of my heart
I hear ya
Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Hey Tork is this the same crowd bashing you and this anti oil crowd?
Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Have a nice day
You just keep laughing and poking the bear elkdump ! One day I'm going to find out who you really are and we're going to have a chat in person. And I guarantee the last thing you're going to be doing then is laughing !!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Have a nice day
pretty childish......
Old 04-04-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Only your second post and you already know how to quote sections of another post ???

And you want to start fighting right off the bat ?

Come on now, share with us who you really are !!! Bet you won't
Wow, your a ball of fun aren't you. i just find the "come work like a dog and I will pay you with experience". Makes me laugh at the guys doing it and sad for the kids applying.

obviously you got some sensitivity issues. I will try to handle you with kids gloves next time.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Hey Tork is this the same crowd bashing you and this anti oil crowd?
It's all good mac. Some people have just reached a point in their lives when their own existence is so pathetic this is all you have to look forward to. When your own business is so boring you devote all your time to focussing on what other successful people are doing.
Unfortunately they affect other people in the process that could benefit from what some are offering. But again when your life has reached a point of so little satisfaction I guess this is all you have.

Ricky Bobby, Elk dump and Petew are all prime examples of this. It's very sad
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Guide

Is paying minimum wage and then charging accommodations, meals, transportation so it works out to a net balance of zero not a viable option?
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I suspect you now understand what I was warning you about.
Despite the offer being potentially beneficial for all parties, not meeting the labour standards act could leave everyone in a bad place, Trouble could arise not only from a complaint, but just as readily from an accident that had to be reported,

I hope all that felt I was bashing Tork can see the intent of my posts.
It sucks, but legislation and litigation has changed the face of how we can do things today.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I suspect you now understand what I was warning you about.
Despite the offer being potentially beneficial for all parties, not meeting the labour standards act could leave everyone in a bad place, Trouble could arise not only from a complaint, but just as readily from an accident that had to be reported,

I hope all that felt I was bashing Tork can see the intent of my posts.
It sucks, but legislation and litigation has changed the face of how we can do things today.
The only risk in this situation was financial for myself WB. My insurance clearly stated that anybody injured while under my direction whether being paid or not would be 100% covered.

I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money for that return.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It's all good mac. Some people have just reached a point in their lives when their own existence is so pathetic this is all you have to look forward to. When your own business is so boring you devote all your time to focussing on what other successful people are doing.
Unfortunately they affect other people in the process that could benefit from what some are offering. But again when your life has reached a point of so little satisfaction I guess this is all you have.

Good to hear, my skin got pretty thick at a young age, the patch does that i hear. Happy Trails...
Old 04-04-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The only risk in this situation was financial for myself WB. My insurance clearly stated that anybody injured while under my direction whether being paid or not would be 100% covered.

I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money for that return.
Tork,

Just think outside the box and cover yourself in regards to the labour standards. Offer a minimal charge for the training you will be providing to the individual, which can be return in full upon completion of training.

No different than the guide training school, but you return the funds.

Wish you all the best.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
You just keep laughing and poking the bear elkdump ! One day I'm going to find out who you really are and we're going to have a chat in person. And I guarantee the last thing you're going to be doing then is laughing !!!
Look mr wannabe, I never called you names, or threatened or insinuated you are doing anything outside of the law,

I only suggested that interns should maybe be compensated and covered by the protection of the labour and WCB statutes of the Province in which you are are apparently operating inside,

YOU Take issue with that, TOO BAD !

With each post you get more abusive and threatening, I'm sure most anyone have considered having anything to do with you at a professional level have made " you" for what "you" are,, a blow hard and a cheap skate and full of threats and insults ,

Quite professional indeed
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Look mr wannabe, I never called you names, or threatened or insinuated you are doing anything outside of the law,

I only suggested that interns should maybe be compensated and covered by the protection of the labour and WCB statutes of the Province in which you are are apparently operating inside,

YOU Take issue with that, TOO BAD !

With each post you get more abusive and threatening, I'm sure most anyone have considered having anything to do with you at a professional level have made " you" for what "you" are,, a blow hard and a cheap skate and full of threats and insults ,

Quite professional indeed
I think if we took a quick poll of what people thought of this situation right now you might be surprised at who feels who is in the wrong.

I'm about as calm as they come, but when people keep sticking their noses in others people's business even I start to get frustrated.

But keep poking elkdump, just keep it up

Edit.... I'll just add you to my ignor list like I should have days ago.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think if we took a quick poll of what people thought of this situation right now you might be surprised at who feels who is in the wrong.

I'm about as calm as they come, but when people keep sticking their noses in others people's business even I start to get frustrated.

I shot a boar grizzly with slingshot twice , at 20 yards,using 58 cal lead balls for ammo, I have it on video, my daughter and 3 year old grandson were with me ,

I am not frightened by some pizz ant braggart threats ,on the internet
Old 04-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned

Working hard is easy; however getting paid appropriately is often difficult.
I wouldn't want to be the kid working for free, nor could I be a good role model if I told him he wasn't getting paid.

Add me to your ignore list as well, if the truth hurts that much.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 PM

It's funny the same guy that is spouting about legalities here is on another thread bragging about breaking the law and endangering people's lives going 105 mph in a 60 mph zone. Then he proudly goes on about how he got off so easy.
Hmmmmm.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Run a business within the law and you won't have people telling you what a low life employer you are . The only reason there are labour standards is to protect people from unscrupulous employers that cheat their help.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11567403 View Post
Is paying minimum wage and then charging accommodations, meals, transportation so it works out to a net balance of zero not a viable option?
are you for real ?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

Edit.... I'll just add you to my ignor list like I should have days ago.
I like the idea of what you were offering. I don't like that you were not going to pay anything for this labour. Thankfully there are laws that protect employees from being slave labour, I'm with Petew and Elkdump
Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Run a business within the law and you won't have people telling you what a low life employer you are . The only reason there are labour standards is to protect people from unscrupulous employers that cheat their help.
Weren't you recently encouraging some one to hire people living on the street to catch pigeons for a buck a bird?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 PM

Tork. Just start a guide school side buisness and instead of charging 2500 for ten days, charge 10k for 3 months. Maybe these guys will figure that's a little more fair...