Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Did the Easter Bunny visit you too ? They are paid cash so they can avoid taxes, no paper work , no tracing the income.
I'm sorry Pewee but I most certainly do record what I pay them. Strange to think they are all criminals trying to avoid taxes, you must associate with some shady people
Old 04-01-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
We have hit the bottom in this country's race to the bottom. Now you get to work like a rented mule for a pat on the back and free food if you are good.

I would think at least minimum wage would be a requirement.

It is interesting you pay cash the second year. Nothing like advertising tax avoidance scams and not making contributions for Canada Pension , EI premiums? WCB ?
Is money all people think about these days? Jeeze.
I can tell you as a recently laid off guy in his 20s the thought of trading work for an awesome adventure sounds quite apealing and i dont see how people dont realize that.
Just out of curiosity where is the hunting area located?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 04-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Is money all people think about these days? Jeeze.
I can tell you as a recently laid off guy in his 20s the thought of trading work for an awesome adventure sounds quite apealing and i dont see how people dont realize that.
Just out of curiosity where is the hunting area located?
Norther BC along the Yukon border.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM

4 years from now my oldest is all over this, plus he's already got most of those skills great opportunity for someone to get into an exciting career.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Pretty sure I'd be all over this if I had the time and was still single. Ignore the haters and let us know how it turns out.

Just a chance to be in the bush for a month or two is worth it. The experience and teaching is icing on the cake.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
4 years from now my oldest is all over this, plus he's already got most of those skills great opportunity for someone to get into an exciting career.
Shoot me a PM when you're boy is ready to go kingrat! There's another member on here that has a young fella a couple years younger then your boy and I told him the same thing. When the time comes look me up.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM

A bit of advise for anyone considering this "offer". Shop around. There's plenty of outfitters out there that will take on green guys, give you all the training and experience you can handle, feed you, show you how to swing an axe, give you a tent to sleep in, work you like a dog and let you tag along on hunts to learn the ropes. If you work your butt off and they like you, chances are they'll bring you back on full wages next year. And.....they'll PAY you!!! lol If you're going to work like a slave for four or five months, and trust me you will, you might as well come home at the end of the year with something.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
A bit of advise for anyone considering this "offer". Shop around. There's plenty of outfitters out there that will take on green guys, give you all the training and experience you can handle, feed you, show you how to swing an axe, give you a tent to sleep in, work you like a dog and let you tag along on hunts to learn the ropes. If you work your butt off and they like you, chances are they'll bring you back on full wages next year. And.....they'll PAY you!!! lol If you're going to work like a slave for four or five months, and trust me you will, you might as well come home at the end of the year with something.
That's right Dave. I'm sure all the people who've contacted me so far picked my offer because it was written better then all the other ads posted on here, FB and everywhere else outfitters are currently looking for completely green guide prospects.
Maybe you could share some names of people to contact as well for them ?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM

BC labour laws do not allow for unpaid internships except for in very limited circumstances,
The "training" offered seems to all fall under the definitions of "work" according to the BC Employment Standards Act, and thus the "trainee" must be paid.

Be careful here. This one could get very ugly for both the company and the "trainee".

Will an insurance company cover for an incident involving an illegal employee?

A simple solution to the many pitfalls opened up to all participants in this arrangement would be for the company to pay their employees.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Huh

Ask a prominent well known gunsmith if you can spend a couple weeks in his shop to learn his tricks of the trade, then ask to be paid.
This is not a new concept people.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM

They are getting paid. They're getting room and board and transportation.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
That's right Dave. I'm sure all the people who've contacted me so far picked my offer because it was written better then all the other ads posted on here, FB and everywhere else outfitters are currently looking for completely green guide prospects.
Maybe you could share some names of people to contact as well for them ?
Believe it or not, I wasn't actually talking to you.
That said, I guess if one or two of these guys are actually willing to come work for nothing, then good for them, and good for you too.....But why so tight with the pennies? Knock the cobwebs off your wallet and pay the guy something. And why so defensive?
All the outfitters that I know pay wranglers/junior guides a day rate, even if it's small. If a wrangler's wages are going to make or break things for you, you must be running some pretty tight margins. Just saying.
No difference to me, I just don't know why anyone would work their ass off for nothing when they can get the exact same knowledge/experience, AND get paid.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'd say it's far better than those guide schools where the 'intern' pays the outfitter to 'train' them. Years ago there was an outfitter in BC advertising a guide school and he had a full slate of people come up there and pay him thousands of dollars to work for him. They spent the summer fixing his fences around the ranch, repairing and fixing cabins, brushing out trails, packing horse feed into the mountains for the fall season, haying, cutting firewood, feeding cows, chasing cows rounding them up out on the range. Taking paying summer tourists out on sightseeing and fishing trips and stuff like that. If he had tried to hire people he couldn't get anybody, soon as he called it a guide school and charged good money he had people falling all over themselves to pay him money to go up there and do all his work for him.
This is so big in New Zealand that there is a waiting list. The one guy I know did the school cost him about $5K if I remember right
Old 04-01-2016, 12:50 PM

I don't see the big problem here if someone wants to work for no Wages that's up to them I myself would not I found enough Outfitters that always wanted to pay me. That being said it would be a great experience I learned so many things from Guiding wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, I wasn't actually talking to you.
That said, I guess if one or two of these guys are actually willing to come work for nothing, then good for them, and good for you too.....But why so tight with the pennies? Knock the cobwebs off your wallet and pay the guy something. And why so defensive?
All the outfitters that I know pay wranglers/junior guides a day rate, even if it's small. If a wrangler's wages are going to make or break things for you, you must be running some pretty tight margins. Just saying.
No difference to me, I just don't know why anyone would work their ass off for nothing when they can get the exact same knowledge/experience, AND get paid.
Oh I know you weren't talking to me, I'm just getting tired of people with no dog in the fight chiming in about something that has no bearing on their on existence what so ever.

I'm looking to give a couple young folks a chance to learn the ropes without charging them a fee like a guide school. Which there are plenty of all over BC and the southern 48. If they would rather that instead by all means go do that.

From a business standpoint if I have to pay a green as grass junior to teach him for a season when I don't actually need them, I'll just pass. The guides I have already are perfectly capable of doing the hunt on there own, the young people are just along to learn.

But I will definitely take all your advice under consideration.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
BC labour laws do not allow for unpaid internships except for in very limited circumstances,
The "training" offered seems to all fall under the definitions of "work" according to the BC Employment Standards Act, and thus the "trainee" must be paid.

Be careful here. This one could get very ugly for both the company and the "trainee".

Will an insurance company cover for an incident involving an illegal employee?

A simple solution to the many pitfalls opened up to all participants in this arrangement would be for the company to pay their employees.
Sounds good to me WB. Although there are all kinds of unpaid internships throughout every province in Canada I'm not sure if this would fall into the proper class or not. Although Worksafe BC and my private insurance company had no issues with it, just for you guys I will alter my deal completely.

Each successful applicant will be paid $75 a day. The cost for accommodations will be charged at $40 per day and meals at $35 per day.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if you would be getting the same overwhelming response to your "offer", or if you'd even make the offer at all, if oil was still $80-90/barrel?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm.... I wonder if you would be getting the same overwhelming response to your "offer", or if you'd even make the offer at all, if oil was still $80-90/barrel?
Not likely Dave, but oil isn't at $80-90 a barrel. And since most guys aren't working a whole lot these days anyway they must be thinking this is better then sitting at home.

Either way that's none of my business. I am however looking forward to teaching some eager you folks all about the lifestyle
Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Sounds good to me WB. Although there are all kinds of unpaid internships throughout every province in Canada I'm not sure if this would fall into the proper class or not. Although Worksafe BC and my private insurance company had no issues with it, just for you guys I will alter my deal completely.

Each successful applicant will be paid $75 a day. The cost for accommodations will be charged at $40 per day and meals at $35 per day.
I talked to my 16yr old, and if he was done school he would have already been on the bus to see you Tork. If he feels the same after grade 12, I might have to meet up with you, have a chat, and share a beer.
Dave.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
I talked to my 16yr old, and if he was done school he would have already been on the bus to see you Tork. If he feels the same after grade 12, I might have to meet up with you, have a chat, and share a beer.
Dave.
Sounds fair to me Dave. Hopefully the young man stays on his current track.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM

I agree
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Torkdiesel;3190056]Sounds good to me WB. Although there are all kinds of unpaid internships throughout every province in Canada I'm not sure if this would fall into the proper class or not. Although Worksafe BC and my private insurance company had no issues with it, just for you guys I will alter my deal completely.

Each successful applicant will be paid $75 a day. The cost for accommodations will be charged at $40 per day and meals at $35 per day.[/QUOTE]

Come on, man. I applaud you for adding the pay at $75/day. You're almost there. Take away the charge for room and board. You'd be doing the right thing.

Don't forget, sometimes a young gun can outwork the experienced hand if he has the right attitude by sheer endurance and enthusiasm. If he's got the smarts also, well then he usually can beat the others hands down. You'll know when you interview them if they've got that.

Also, it's a good return on your investment if he comes back to you because you treated him fairly.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=alder;3190105]
Quote:

Each successful applicant will be paid $75 a day. The cost for accommodations will be charged at $40 per day and meals at $35 per day.[/QUOTE]

Come on, man. I applaud you for adding the pay at $75/day. You're almost there. Take away the charge for room and board. You'd be doing the right thing.

Don't forget, sometimes a young gun can outwork the experienced hand if he has the right attitude by sheer endurance and enthusiasm. If he's got the smarts also, well then he usually can beat the others hands down. You'll know when you interview them if they've got that.

Also, it's a good return on your investment if he comes back to you because you treated him fairly.
I look at it from both sides Alder. Big investment on my part devoting this much time to somebody I've never met and big investment of time and work on their part as well. It would be good return on both our investments if they worked out and came back to guide for years to come. You're right.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Well I'm another expert with advice for you, except that I'm not one of the usual outfitter bashers, or someone who never had their own business, who only knows what's best for someone else, so take it for what it's worth.

You need to charge big money to learn the ins, outs and sideways of the guiding /outfitting industry.

I think it is ridiculous that you are offering this training/education to someone who doesn't have a pile of money to spend on a course, but can get in with a little sweat. Actually now that I think about it, I've never heard of anyone drowning in their own sweat. But I digress.

I know that education is valuable and I'd be the last to hire a class one to drive a a load of fuel fresh out of Buphinder's Driving school and sweet shop.
This seems different with actual hands on, no cash outlay, and an offer for employment at the end.

Good luck.Tork. It took me years to learn on my own. This seems like a good opportunity for the right person.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-01-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Well I'm another expert with advice for you, except that I'm not one of the usual outfitter bashers, or someone who never had their own business, who only knows what's best for someone else, so take it for what it's worth.

You need to charge big money to learn the ins, outs and sideways of the guiding /outfitting industry.

I think it is ridiculous that you are offering this training/education to someone who doesn't have a pile of money to spend on a course, but can get in with a little sweat. Actually now that I think about it, I've never heard of anyone drowning in their own sweat. But I digress.

I know that education is valuable and I'd be the last to hire a class one to drive a a load of fuel fresh out of Buphinder's Driving school and sweet shop.
This seems different with actual hands on, no cash outlay, and an offer for employment at the end.

Good luck.Tork. It took me years to learn on my own. This seems like a good opportunity for the right person.
Thanks Redfrog, I'm looking forward to teaching a few up and comers what I can, and having some fun doing it.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM

At least all of the negative posts are keeping the thread at the top of the forum so you can get more views and hopefully find the right person, Jeff!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
At least all of the negative posts are keeping the thread at the top of the forum so you can get more views and hopefully find the right person, Jeff!
Yep !!! lol
Old 04-01-2016, 05:13 PM

Man if I was 10 years younger I would even pay for my own food for an opportunity like this, congrats whoever gets to go.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like a fast way into the industry for a neophyte. Good on ya Tork.

Lots of individuals in their 20s don't have the solid base of bush-craft and hunting expertise coming from a DP non big game hunting family. No way one can learn everything in a few weeks in a guide school type situation
I did not and like Redfrog took the self taught road to fame and fortune lol.

Then again I never took up guiding purely for the money, was always about the hunt and when they shake my hand and say how they got the Hunt they wanted regardless of if we were successful or not.

Like others have said 35 years ago I would have jumped at the chance.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly my first time ever guiding I was paid $200/day no previous guiding experience and these were 10K+ mtn hunts. Friend of mine was out of work for a bit and was going to go guide in NWT or YK. Every single outfitter he talked to was willing to pay and he also had no previous guiding experience. Why keep money in someone else's pocket if you can put it in your own doing the same job.