Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 AM

Good on you Tork.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 AM

very interested in your position wouldn't consider a 27 year old would ya?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM

Good job Tork, nice to see some young people will get a start to a rewarding lifestyle!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence23cardinal View Post
very interested in your position wouldn't consider a 27 year old would ya?
apply. i don't think that's too firmly written in stone for the right person
Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM

Wow, amazing opportunity for the right individual. Good on you TD!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
apply. i don't think that's too firmly written in stone for the right person
X2!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:11 PM

I don't have any issue of the no pay! Like tork said, you get your tips, you get your guide licence paid for, every nesessitie is paid for, and in all honesty, who gets paid to go hunting on a daily basis in the real world? I sure don't, but if I got a little bit of pay, but more experience on the guiding side of things then I'd be more than happy! Most young guys like me just want to hunt for a lifetime, and if I get the help and support from someone and to lead me down the right track then I'd be more than happy! In my honest opinion, the experience, and the opportunity to hunt everyday then I'd be more than happy! Money isn't everything. It helps yea but experience is way more valuable to me!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
You embellish your search for FREE labour with mention of rewards of a "long time career "

I've worked for several licensed Guide Outfitters over 20 some years ,

I've seen it all, would you like me to " embellish " , I have lots to disclose ,,,
well at the fear of dating myself, back in 1978 during the spring road ban season I work for 3 weeks for Horst Roseneau at Northern Guide service, not even sure if he is still in business or not as I lost track of him when I moved overseas, anyway it was the same sort of a deal, help with hunters and in camp etc. in exchange for food, lodging and transportation costs, it was a hoot, got out in the bush, met some great hunters from Germany and managed to take a couple bears myself in the process, didn't see a problem with it then and still don't, its not for everyone, and for sure there are some that will try to crap on it just because that's what they do, but the fact is that the guys or gals that do it will do some because they see merit in it or just want the experience and the rest should politely move on and save us their crap.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM

Nice gesture Tork and hope you are rewarded with some good people on your team. I know if I was being guided and the fellow who was guiding me started out this way he or possibly she would have their heart in "our" hunt. Probably be an influencing factor in the size of the tip too.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:25 PM

Love the idea of this, and if i had any possible way to do this and still support the family i would be all over it! Good luck in finding the right people to fill these positions and have a go at such a great opportunity!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The pay for these positions is experience. I've had countless people over the years ask about becoming a guide and how to do it. There are guide schools out there that charge $2500 for 10 days of instruction which is nowhere near enough time to learn what you need to know.
HA HA HA HA HA... oh that's priceless.. you'll get paid with experience.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky bobby View Post

Hint:...don't apply for it, I have a sneaking suspicion you wouldn't pan out....
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM

Well Suck Tork I thought I had a chance but I guess I failed before I even applied by the looks of it. lol
I think this is a great idea and opportunity for some guys that want to see what it is all about. Great area as well.
Hope you find a few young guys wanting to make some adventures!! Wish I had the time to join you.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky bobby View Post

Only your second post and you already know how to quote sections of another post ???

And you want to start fighting right off the bat ?

Come on now, share with us who you really are !!! Bet you won't
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well Suck Tork I thought I had a chance but I guess I failed before I even applied by the looks of it. lol
I think this is a great idea and opportunity for some guys that want to see what it is all about. Great area as well.
Hope you find a few young guys wanting to make some adventures!! Wish I had the time to join you.
One day when you finally stop playing with those god dam birds nube I'll gladly bring you up. Maybe team you up with somebody that has some experience with a species that doesn't fly away when you're trying to shoot them and you can learn a thing or two lol
Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Like stated earlier elkdump, if you're not interested don't apply.

I suppose if you feel you have to embellish your disclosure feel free to start your own thread.

In fact please don't apply, your attitude would be toxic in camp. I'd never subject my clients to a guide like you.
My attitude did fine in guide camp for more than 20 seasons , , but I was well paid and well tipped , and in any of my daily business dealings, if I couldn't pay my apprentices , I wouldn't ask them to work,,

As for your attitude about BC Workers Comp and Renumeration, I will do my best to avoid your acquaintance ,
But it might be prudent to peruse the WorksafeBC website about un ticketed persons operating power equipment and saws and UTVs etc, even if they are not on the payroll , but nevertheless under your direction ,,,,
Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
My attitude did fine in guide camp for more than 20 seasons , , but I was well paid and well tipped , and in any of my daily business dealings, if I couldn't pay my apprentices , I wouldn't ask them to work,,

As for your attitude about BC Workers Comp and Renumeration, I will do my best to avoid your acquaintance ,
But it might be prudent to peruse the WorksafeBC website about un ticketed persons operating power equipment and saws and UTVs etc, even if they are not on the payroll , but nevertheless under your direction ,,,,
I'm very happy for you !!!

And thanks again for sharing your expertise with me. I will file it all in the appropriate folder I promise.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:06 PM

Great chance for someone to learn the ropes. Good on you Tork.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM

Great idea Tork, hope you create a few good ones.

Maybe there's a chance for a late-season tag to be filled as a reward for the kid??

Don't forget a lot of school systems have some type of school sponsored work experience, where, you guessed it, the kid works for free
Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 PM

I don't like the idea of working like a dog for free but I also don't fall into the age group/experience level that Torq is looking for. So, for a young guy that has nothing to lose its probably a good opportunity to get into the trade and see what it is all about. Most educations cost you an arm and a leg. This one just costs you a little time and sweat equity.

On a side note, I just finished reading about this thread on HuntingBC.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...itish-Columbia
Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 PM

We have hit the bottom in this country's race to the bottom. Now you get to work like a rented mule for a pat on the back and free food if you are good.

I would think at least minimum wage would be a requirement.

It is interesting you pay cash the second year. Nothing like advertising tax avoidance scams and not making contributions for Canada Pension , EI premiums? WCB ?

Last edited by petew; 03-31-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=Positrac;3189523]Most educations cost you an arm and a leg. This one just costs you a little time and sweat equity.

This makes sense to me
Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 PM

Good offer Tork, I'm sure it will fit the right persons.
The tipping thing could create a stir tho, like any profession, waiters etc,
Normally rookie gets the scraps, or no sharing agreement between lead guide and trainee.
If the arrangement is firm and understood, things will go smooth.

TBark
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
We have hit the bottom in this country's race to the bottom. Now you get to work like a rented mule for a pat on the back and free food if you are good.

I would think at least minimum wage would be a requirement.

It is interesting you pay cash the second year. Nothing like advertising tax avoidance scams and not making contributions for Canada Pension , EI premiums? WCB ?
Good lord you people have really ran out of things to complain about haven't you.
All guides are paid cash, then they report their additional income on line 104 of their income tax returns. They contribute their own portions of EI and CPP. I pay their WCB premiums as they are employees although they are considered seasonal.

Keep in mind that almost all guides also work oilfield as well or some other job the rest of the year. By the time guiding season hits they've long paid the max EI and CPP for the year.

Again, for the umpteenth time. If you're not interested scroll on, and do not apply for the position.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Already sweat my bag off at work to pay for hunting and fishing. To bad life's responsibilitys caught up with me ( kids, house, wife) or I would be all over this. Never been afraid of hard work so why not do it for a little while learning something that could evolve into a life changing starting point. Nice to see doors opening for people to start something they love. I tip my hat to you tork
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 PM

I don't know if you have heard of the WWOOFer (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) program, but it is basically the same idea but with farming, and it is a hugely successful program. Not a whole lot different, people work on organic farms for free, and get room and board in return. They come away learning from it and getting to basically travel for free. I think there is no reason why this is any different.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I don't know if you have heard of the WWOOFer (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) program, but it is basically the same idea but with farming, and it is a hugely successful program. Not a whole lot different, people work on organic farms for free, and get room and board in return. They come away learning from it and getting to basically travel for free. I think there is no reason why this is any different.
It's basically the same idea Dawg, without the immigration portion of things. From what I've heard it's mostly students travelling here from overseas in that program, from the little I've read about it.

Hopefully the people that do participate in this training/learning experience will enjoy their time here with us and come away with a lot more knowledge and experience then they had coming in.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Good lord you people have really ran out of things to complain about haven't you.
All guides are paid cash, then they report their additional income on line 104 of their income tax returns. They contribute their own portions of EI and CPP. I pay their WCB premiums as they are employees although they are considered seasonal.

Keep in mind that almost all guides also work oilfield as well or some other job the rest of the year. By the time guiding season hits they've long paid the max EI and CPP for the year.

Again, for the umpteenth time. If you're not interested scroll on, and do not apply for the position.
Did the Easter Bunny visit you too ? They are paid cash so they can avoid taxes, no paper work , no tracing the income.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:46 PM

I dont have the time or desire to look, but id be curious to know how many of the people that think this isnt a great opportunity for someone have, in another breath, bitched on the general discussion forum at one point or another about how people are lazy, entitled and just looking for handouts. I know if I was unemployed and had any interest in the guiding world, id much rather give this a try and see how I liked the industry than sit on my azz collecting pogey for the next few months. Could possibly turn into a somewhat "recession proof" second income every year.

I think this is a great chance for someone to explore a new career path, and I hope you find the right people Tork, just make sure that they save a caribou up there for me
Old 04-01-2016, 12:09 AM

I think this would be a great opportunity for a young person with no overhead. If your not in school and don't have much in the way of bills why not give it a try. Surely the tips would make up for the lack of a wage..... kinda like serving in a restaurant!!
Ultimately it's up to the person applying to make sure they are comfortable with what's expected of them.