Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 AM

Default Assistant Guides/Trainees wanted in British Columbia

Hey everybody

I'm looking for a couple young individuals (guys or girls) that want to get into the guiding industry.

The ideal candidates would be between 18-24 years old with a hunting background and a good work ethic. And of course be interested in becoming guides.

Being in decent physical condition is a must as this job does not involve a lot of sitting around.

*This season would involve a couple trail clearing trips 10 - 15 days in length during the late spring and summer. (dates are still up in the air but will be finalised before the positions are offered)

*Our fall season runs from Sept 1 - Oct 15 and you would be expected to remain for the duration of those hunts.

This is sort of a guide school where you will learn everything you need to know about actually being a guide. The upside is there is no cost for you to pay. So think of it as more of a recruitment course.

During your time with us you'll learn

*Basic bushcraft
*Chainsaw instruction and trail clearing
*Cooking and camp upkeep
*Keeping a clean camp
*Basic construction skills and camp repairs
*Remote first aid
*ATV operation, safety and maintenance
*Small craft operation, safety and outboard maintenance
*Working around bush planes
*Loading and securement of loads on ATV's, ATV trailers, Boats
*Trophy care (skinning, caping, skinning paws, turning lips, ears, eyes, proper salting)
*Meat care (gutting, quartering, hanging, preparing meat for bush plane flights)
*Wildlife regulations and laws
*Practical firearms safety when dealing with clients
*Dealing with clients (The good, the bad and the ugly)
*Hunting methods and techniques when guiding a client (Moose, Caribou, Elk, Grizzly, Black bears, wolves)
*Working in bear country and dealing with problem bears
*Anything else required to be a guide

A valid PAL is not required although you should plan on getting one at your earliest convenience.
You will be accompanied 100% of the time by an experienced guide or myself the outfitter.
In the fall season you will accompany one of our more experienced guides on hunts with clients for various species and will be staying in a remote cabin for the duration of these hunts. You're expected to act in a professional manner as an assistant that is there to learn. You will not be put in a situation that is over your head.

The pay for these positions is experience. I've had countless people over the years ask about becoming a guide and how to do it. There are guide schools out there that charge $2500 for 10 days of instruction which is nowhere near enough time to learn what you need to know.

I will pay all expenses for you to get to camp and get home from camp. All food and lodging is included.
While working as an assistant guide you will keep any tips received from the clients you are helping
At the end of the season I'll pay for you to complete your British Columbia guide license and tutor you through the online course and exam.

If you or anybody else you know would be interested in this opportunity please send me a PM, email or call.

Ultimately I would like these individuals to come back as guides the following year and continue working with our team for years to come. Guides are paid $6,000 to $7,000 a month cash plus tips. It is not uncommon for guides to make $8,000 - $10,000 a month by the time the smoke clears. We operate in the spring for bears, Sept-Oct for Moose, Caribou, Elk and Grizzly, Nov for deer and Cats in the winter. So for the right individual this could turn into a great opportunity.

Jeff Condie
780-933-8001

****Please be aware that this is a remote area of the Province. There is no 7/11 down the street, there is no cell phone service, and this is not a vacation****

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 03-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:30 PM

Hi torq I would be interested in your offer been hunting since I was old enough to walk I'm 28 husband an farther of two little girls 6-9 have valid pal an hunters education in a die hard hunter an spend almost all my
Free time either scouting or doing something hunting related I've always wanted to get envolved in the guiding world but just didn't know where to start
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM

Running bear and nube two best guides north of Mexico.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned

If only I was 40 yrs younger. Good luck on finding some good candidates.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Running bear and nube two best guides north of Mexico.
I'd take Luke, but you'd have to pay me quite a bit to put up with Nube !!! lol
Old 03-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

So if some eager young buck goes out to " enjoy the benifits of learning to guide hunters " and takes a plunge off of a horse and ends up a parapalegic for life ? What basis of income will WorksafeBC base his entitlement funds on ? Since there is NO WAGE , I would think there is NO Workers Compensation coverage ?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
So if some eager young buck goes out to " enjoy the benifits of learning to guide hunters " and takes a plunge off of a horse and ends up a parapalegic for life ? What basis of income will WorksafeBC base his entitlement funds on ? Since there is NO WAGE , I would think there is NO Workers Compensation coverage ?

The best years of my life were spent in the Muskwa and Prophet river drainage's.
It's a good way for a young person to learn good hard work ethic and see amazing country that most will not. It's an experience of a lifetime.
You can't stay rolled in bubble wrap forever.
Don't be afraid to live.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:38 PM

Unreal opportunity for some lucky buck!! Good on you Tork.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well I don't use horses elkdump, so they're not too likely to fall off one.

If they ended up a paraplegic from say falling off a quad then my insurance would pay out whatever that is worth. Not sure how worksafe BC would treat that situation where they didn't actually have a wage. There are tens of thousands of farm kids and ranch hands working the exact same way so I'm sure there's a minimum level for this type of situation.

But if you don't feel comfortable elkdump, by all means do not apply for one of the positions lol
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 PM

Default Good

Glad you posted the internships here Torq, and that's some of the best guide salaries I've seen!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Glad you posted the internships here Torq, and that's some of the best guide salaries I've seen!
Figured it was as good a place to recruit as any. Lots of great people in our group here.

I pay about average for these types of hunts Earl. $200-$225 a day for experienced guides. Based on a 30 day month its $6,000 to $6,750. These are $12,000 -$20,000 ten day hunts so they usually get between $500-$1000 per hunt for a tip, and those tips are in U.S. dollars.

I think it's fair money for the work they are doing.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM

If only I was 10 yrs younger
Old 03-31-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
The pay for these positions is experience.

Tough to take that to the bank, how come outfitters always resort to this scam ? You work and you will work hard, at least you should get minimum wage. Seen a bunch of cases, where the "intern" is left holding the bag, you've got to complete the season to get the benefit and chances are it won't be there. In the old days they called this indentured labor. Prices hunters pay, there's no excuse for this.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 03-31-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 AM

I'd say it's far better than those guide schools where the 'intern' pays the outfitter to 'train' them. Years ago there was an outfitter in BC advertising a guide school and he had a full slate of people come up there and pay him thousands of dollars to work for him. They spent the summer fixing his fences around the ranch, repairing and fixing cabins, brushing out trails, packing horse feed into the mountains for the fall season, haying, cutting firewood, feeding cows, chasing cows rounding them up out on the range. Taking paying summer tourists out on sightseeing and fishing trips and stuff like that. If he had tried to hire people he couldn't get anybody, soon as he called it a guide school and charged good money he had people falling all over themselves to pay him money to go up there and do all his work for him.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-31-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'd say it's far better than those guide schools where the 'intern' pays the outfitter to 'train' them. Years ago there was an outfitter in BC advertising a guide school and he had a full slate of people come up there and pay him thousands of dollars to work for him. They spent the summer fixing his fences around the ranch, repairing and fixing cabins, brushing out trails, packing horse feed into the mountains for the fall season, haying, cutting firewood, feeding cows, chasing cows rounding them up out on the range. Taking paying summer tourists out on sightseeing and fishing trips and stuff like that. If he had tried to hire people he couldn't get anybody, soon as he called it a guide school and charged good money he had people falling all over themselves to pay him money to go up there and do all his work for him.
So, you're saying, it's ok to prey on the gullible ? I know one camp operator who advertises in Europe for girls to staff his camp, same deal and the experience of working with horses in Kanada. Always has chicks waiting.

Grizz
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Well I don't use horses elkdump, so they're not too likely to fall off one.

If they ended up a paraplegic from say falling off a quad then my insurance would pay out whatever that is worth. Not sure how worksafe BC would treat that situation where they didn't actually have a wage. There are tens of thousands of farm kids and ranch hands working the exact same way so I'm sure there's a minimum level for this type of situation.

But if you don't feel comfortable elkdump, by all means do not apply for one of the positions lol
I have short and long term disability insurance through RBC. I would get paid 6k a month in the event of an accident. I pay just over $80 a month. If you recommend your candidates apply for this you would have nothing to worry about. Ignore Elkdump, he just wants to upset the apple cart.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 AM
Banned

if i was younger and unemployed i'd be all over this just for fun
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The pay for these positions is experience.

Tough to take that to the bank, how come outfitters always resort to this scam ? You work and you will work hard, at least you should get minimum wage. Seen a bunch of cases, where the "intern" is left holding the bag, you've got to complete the season to get the benefit and chances are it won't be there. In the old days they called this indentured labor. Prices hunters pay, there's no excuse for this.

Grizz
They aren't supposed to take this opportunity to the bank, it's an internship that could lead to a long career if they make it. And how is this a scam ?

I'm looking for completely inexperienced guides and we're going to teach them everything they need to know to be able to begin their careers as a guide.
Some guys charge $2,500 for a 10 day "guide school". I'm going to give them 65-70 days of instruction at no cost to them. In return I'll have some helpers to work along with my experienced guides and hopefully grow a new crop of experienced guides for years to come.

If I had to pay completely green help $120-140 a day (minimum wage) I wouldn't do it. I can hire men with years of experience guiding,running saws, and swinging hammers for $60-80 a day more. And I don't have to worry about experienced guys or supervise them every minute they are there.

They get accommodations at no cost, they get fed, they travel there and back at no cost, they get the tips they earn while working as assistant guides and they get their guides licenses at the end of the year. Plus if they decide to go guide somewhere else they have a full season of experience on their resume instead of a "10 day guide school".

Like I told elkdump earlier Grizz, if you're not interested in the position don't apply.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, you're saying, it's ok to prey on the gullible ? I know one camp operator who advertises in Europe for girls to staff his camp, same deal and the experience of working with horses in Kanada. Always has chicks waiting.

Grizz
How are they gullible ? If they want into the guiding industry and don't know somebody that will hire them on green what are they supposed to do ? Just give up ?

I'm offering them an alternative
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 AM

I guess I was lucky worked for outfit in northern BC paid my way from Manitoba and the wage not sure what it was great experience even got on a few sheep hunts
Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM

I guess I was lucky worked for outfit in northern BC paid my way from Manitoba and the wage not sure what it was great experience even got on a few sheep hunts
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
The best years of my life were spent in the Muskwa and Prophet river drainage's.
It's a good way for a young person to learn good hard work ethic and see amazing country that most will not. It's an experience of a lifetime.
You can't stay rolled in bubble wrap forever.
Don't be afraid to live.
I've held a guiding licence in good standing in BC for more than 20 years, most years a nice way to get away and enjoy some r&r in the mountains of BC , Spring or fall whatever worked into my schedule , a great experience guiding, but by no means how to earn a decent yearly wage to raise and support a family, ,
,tell me how much luck you'll have when you apply for a mortgage and your job confirmation is part time/ seasonal hunting guide, hahaha

I've also had many apprentice mechanics in my 30 years as a licensed mechanic and business proprietor

,in fact a couple of them went on become Trades instructors at prominent Industrial Trades Colleges
ALL my mechanical apprentices were paid a WAGE and covered by WCB ,

As for someone " being taught or learning a TRADE without being PAID a wage and being covered by WCB protection and having deductions etc, and paying CPP ?

I do not consider this fair or totally within the statutes of the Province or the Fed Gov,,, just my opinion
Old 03-31-2016, 08:56 AM

Years ago, I was in this situation: Loved it and guided for several years afterwards but:
Pay them something, anything! Even $50 a day will keep them from feeling like slave labour. If you don't, they will walk after 2 or 3 days of cutting trail in what will seem like hell to them. The experience is priceless, but their work and effort should be rewarded as well.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=Torkdiesel;3188837]They aren't supposed to take this opportunity to the bank, it's an internship that could lead to a long career if they make it. And how is this a scam ?

QUOTE]

Had three internships over my career. All were paid. Just pay them minimum wage. It's just fair.

I also worked as a packer and then as an assistant guide in Alaska for 4 seasons when I lived in the US. I was always paid minimum wage plus tips, plus travel, plus food and lodging (in a wall tent) of course.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 AM
Banned

I think TD's offer is a decent one. I guess you have to remember this is an entry level job position with upside if you turn out to fit the industry. You also have to remember the state of our economy. If I had a choice of sitting around jobless or taking on an adventure offered here it would be a real short decision. It would be an excellent experience.
I am sure the right person would also make some decent tips in the process.

Good thing some of you didn't experience getting into the aviation industry.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I think TD's offer is a decent one. I guess you have to remember this is an entry level job position with upside if you turn out to fit the industry. You also have to remember the state of our economy. If I had a choice of sitting around jobless or taking on an adventure offered here it would be a real short decision. It would be an excellent experience.
I am sure the right person would also make some decent tips in the process.

Good thing some of you didn't experience getting into the aviation industry.
This is my point exactly. This job is for a kid, that isn't a licensed mechanic or pipefitter already.
If you have a wife and kids you're trying to support then it's likely not for you.

I pulled wrenches as a diesel mechanics helper while I was in high school for the experience. I learned a ton from some great people and I'll tell you one thing for sure, I still have that knowledge to this day. If I would have demanded a wage then I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn.

And elkdump we all have other jobs we do throughout the year besides guiding, the bank is perfectly happy taking those as employment history when applying for a mortgage. Guiding money and tips are normally just fun money.

This isn't the oilfield and it will never be paid like the oilfield either. But I'll promise you one thing. Nobody ever looks forward to going back to the rig after days off, but I've never seen a guide who wasn't smiling when he pulled into camp at the beginning of the season
Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
This is my point exactly. This job is for a kid, that isn't a licensed mechanic or pipefitter already.
If you have a wife and kids you're trying to support then it's likely not for you.

I pulled wrenches as a diesel mechanics helper while I was in high school for the experience. I learned a ton from some great people and I'll tell you one thing for sure, I still have that knowledge to this day. If I would have demanded a wage then I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn.

And elkdump we all have other jobs we do throughout the year besides guiding, the bank is perfectly happy taking those as employment history when applying for a mortgage. Guiding money and tips are normally just fun money.

This isn't the oilfield and it will never be paid like the oilfield either. But I'll promise you one thing. Nobody ever looks forward to going back to the rig after days off, but I've never seen a guide who wasn't smiling when he pulled into camp at the beginning of the season
You embellish your search for FREE labour with mention of rewards of a "long time career "

I've worked for several licensed Guide Outfitters over 20 some years ,

I've seen it all, would you like me to " embellish " , I have lots to disclose ,,,
Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
You embellish your search for FREE labour with mention of rewards of a "long time career "

I've seen it all, would you like me to " embellish " , I have lots to disclose ,,,

This is getting ridiculous. I don't see any "embellishment" on the OP's part. His post clearly states what to expect and what is required.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:

As have we all seen many things....but really unless Tork is twisting your arm behind your back and telling you to head north ...go play outside.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Like stated earlier elkdump, if you're not interested don't apply.

I suppose if you feel you have to embellish your disclosure feel free to start your own thread.

In fact please don't apply, your attitude would be toxic in camp. I'd never subject my clients to a guide like you.