Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default Savage Axis XP ii- first gun

Hello everyone,

I was looking at getting a 30-06 Savage Axis XP ii to hunt here in Alberta. I keep hearing many things on how cheap it is, how the scope is terrible and other info. I have watched videos and actually read up on reviews and I would assume it's a good beginner gun.

What is y'alls opinion?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM

Yes, it is a good starter rifle. You will want to upgrade sooner rather than later though. For a bit more money, I would look at the Weatherby Vanguard or the Ruger American if you want new. I prefer used myself. Winchester Model 70, Ruger M77, or a Remington 700. Best bang for your buck if you can find a nice slightly used one would be a Tikka T3 in stainless synthetic.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 AM

second the tikka T3. the T3 30-06 been my first rifle cause I didn't have alot of money when I first got into hunting, put on a bushnell 3x9 and have dropped every kind of animal with it since. Have had other rifles but have sold them and have always gone back to the T3. Last year dropped a mule deer right where it was standing in the middle of the field with no cover to sneak up closer. ranged it at 387 yards. Been a great rifle and looking to get my boy a T3 in a .308.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 PM

The above is good advice.

Axis: rough action, crappy scope, flimsy stock. All of these can ruin a hunt. Highly suggest you look at spending a little more and then you won't "have" to buy another gun for a long time.

T3, savage 11 in whatever flavor, vanguard, Winchester 70, all are guns that a guy could hunt with for a lifetime. Don't be afraid of used guns, just do your research on what to look for.

Whatever you choose, put quality glass on it. 3006 recoil in a 7 lb gun will shake that garbage package scope apart in a couple weeks.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:34 PM

I'd say buy it. Use it. Hunt with it.sell it.hunt for new rifle with the things you find yourself liking.
Rinse and repeat for the rest of time.
accuracy won't be the primary factor at this point. Things like the accessebility to the safety, whether it has a removeable magazine, overall size/weight and such are more important.
don't get caught in spending loads of money trying to get entry level shoot better with custom bedding and ither accuraccy tricks just move up in quality.
But don't be afraid to spend money on optics...scopes can transfer from gun to gun.
enjoy the first one and shoot the day lites out of it.don't forget your ppe's.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

I have a savage axis in 22 250. I don't find the action that bad. Yes the stock is a little flimsy. The scope is ok it's a package gun so you never get a good scope. All around it is a good gun always works, light weight and accurate. It does have a little bit heavier trigger pull, but when your hunting who cares about trigger pull lol. It's a good starter rifle that can take a beating and it doesn't really matter because they are cheap. I also have a savage 111 in 270 win. It came as a package deal with a Simonds scope. It was also a cheap scope, it lasted me ten years the gun had been dropped, knocked over and slept on while it was laying in a puddle in my tent( all other sheep hunters will know what I'm talking about.) that gun outshot my friends Remington 700 in 280 rem off the bench. I've shot numerous animals with it. As far as I'm concerned savage probably gives you the best bang for your buck.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:09 PM

I have the axis ii in 243 - works like a charm - shoots straight as heck and for a very good price - GREAT starter rifle.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up

I have recently purchased a Savage axis ii in 30-06. As my first rifle..I encourage you to buy a smaller calibre rifle unless you are proficient at shooting. I had a very hard time with the recoil. Although I've gotten better. The rifle is very light....therefore more felt recoil. I would suggest a 22lr to start or buy both as learning to shoot with my 06 was impossible. Overall I do like the gun though. The weaver scope is really not bad....good eye relief. I have out 30 or so rounds through my rifle and have had no issues. Just tighten your scope rings and bases when you get it. Stock is flimsy though...but a Boyds aftermarket stock can be had for 200 ish. Just trying to help a guy learn from my mistakes
Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Banned

There's nothing wrong with buying an entry level Axis XP II rifle package to start out with but I'd prefer paying about $130 more and getting a Savage Model 111 rifle package. The scope on both is adequate but if you do eventually want to put a better scope on, you might as well have a better quality rifle to put it on. The Model 111 has the accutrigger so you don't have to modify the trigger like you might want to do with the Axis. Check both rifles out and you'll feel the difference.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Banned

Not sure if anyone knows what gun I am talking about because this one comes with a Bushnell scope and the acutrigger. It also had the stock fixed with an aluminum rail put in so that it wouldn't flex.

For reference: https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/savage-axis-ii/
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM

I just picked up The Savage Axis II in 243, with Weaver Scope at Canadian Tire for a smoking Deal, $359.00 + GST
Don't know if that is still ongoing, but their price was way better than anyone else and for an entry level rifle, can't beat the price. So like a lot of others have said, I will use it, see what I like and dislike. Then upgrade if needed.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 04-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Its the gun everyone loves to hate.

They arent that bad. Never see people sell them. And the people who actually do own them... NEVER say a bad thing about them.

Most people who hate them have decided to dislike them strictly because they cost less then what they deem is enough.

See less of them on the buy and sell than pretty well every other gun. No one buys them and sells them because they didn't like them.

Now I put a boyds on mine. And now really have no complaints.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:38 PM

They fixed the trigger issue with the accutrigger on the II. It will be a great gun, shoots well out of box. You wont be disappointed.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Banned

The only other advice a can give you is you have your price that you want to pay go to your local gun counter and see what fits right.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM

As you know lots of divergent opinions here, that's what you asked for.

For my two cents worth; it's only early spring, continue to garter cash and spend it on an older used .270 / 30-06 (Early Winchester Model 70??) type of wood stock firearm c/w at least a middle of the road Leopold (service here in Alberta).

Don't be in a rush, there are lots of upstanding fellows on here that will help.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM

The Axis works great. Everyone I've had have been great shooters. Took this moose at 250 yards last fall, one shot bull went 70 yards.

[IMG][/IMG]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-04-2016, 05:03 PM

I was in the same boat as you when buying my first larger caliber rifle, I had my heart set on the Axis II in 30-06, but when I got to the store I picked up the Savage 11/111 package gun just because and it felt way better in my opinion and if you look at the right time you can find they often have deals for 75 dollars off of the 11/111. It is more accurate than I am and it has quite a solid feel to it. I think I ended up spending around 500 or so out the door and I got lucky and got one with the nikon scope. Pick whatever feels good to you that's in your price range. That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 PM

I have the original Axis in 30-06 great rifle, the package Bushnell scope lasted 200 rounds before it failed, sent it off to bushnell, had a new replacement fast enough (now being Mounted on a rimfire)

Replaced the synthetic stock with a Boyd's thumb hole and she is a beaut!
When I do my part 1/2 - 3/4 inch a 100 meters with 180 grain Winchester ballistic silver tip. (my Rifles ammo of choice.)

V
Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM

IMO why would you want to by more guns than you have too buy something that will have resale value at least! if u spend a little more then you wont want to up grade so quickly when you get ur hands on a buddies fancy gun. and you might get some cost effective value out of ur purchace.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 AM

My savage axis 2 22250 is the most accurate rifle I have. And I have both remington and ruger products as well

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Default great gun

I love the gun have one in a 270 and have put down all kinds of animals with it. ive had it now for 5 years and plan to put a btter scope on it this spring.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 AM

I bought my,well first rifle for big game in a Savage 10 tr. It's a law enforcement rifle. 308 20" barrel in an accustock with the target accutrigger. I got it at 20% off. Has a bbl and 5r rifling. It's a great gun. Even with the bbl it's only 8 1/2 lbs. Thing is crazy accurate with the right loads. 1/10 twist so it doesn't like the 150's but when I got some 168 sst's If I could keep my end of the bargain up it could shoot .5 moa all day. Just bought a Boyd's for it. But gotta get a gunsmith to fit it, pillar bed it and glass bed it. only cost about 600$. I've always liked Savage rifles. They are cheap but still are good quality and they seem to be as accurate or better than other higher priced guns. But I'm no pro. Never shot a Tikka or a Vanguard. But I have shot Remington 783 and the axis felt better than that.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Bought one in 223 soon as they came out. Got rid of the scope and put a burris fulfeild on it. Lightened the trigger which you shouldn't have too do, it shoots under an inch all day long. It's gettin' a little rough now because I bet the hell out of it and don't care, I'd buy one, upgrade the scope and giver'
Old 04-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Banned

So now is the deciding factor... I always thought Canadian Tire would be my cheapest option for purchasing this gun but they are on "SALE" for $778. At Cabelas they are $580 on regular. Anyone know where my best option would be? Wholesale is somewhat the same price as Cabelas
Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So now is the deciding factor... I always thought Canadian Tire would be my cheapest option for purchasing this gun but they are on "SALE" for $778. At Cabelas they are $580 on regular. Anyone know where my best option would be? Wholesale is somewhat the same price as Cabelas
I have found in the guns i bought recently, wholesale tends to be cheaper by 40 bucks or more. IE the sale price at cabelas was the same as wholesales regular price was. They price match tho so call the store and ask the cost. The canadain tire thing makes no sense i would have asked the manager.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
I have found in the guns i bought recently, wholesale tends to be cheaper by 40 bucks or more. IE the sale price at cabelas was the same as wholesales regular price was. They price match tho so call the store and ask the cost. The canadain tire thing makes no sense i would have asked the manager.
Yea he told me it was regular $889 but since it is on sale, its still more expensive than all other stores have at regular price