Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 PM

I would also suggest taking a look at the First Lite gear. It can be found at Jim Bows Archery in Calgary and I think they even have some at Bass.
Great gear made in Idaho... and customer service has been excellent in my dealings
Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM

Big Sitka supporter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Cabbalas stuff is no good for a 10 day sheep hunt, need kuiu. Have to cut down on every ounce when you are packing. It's a bit pricey right now with the exchange, but it's light, cool, tough. I've tried the other stuff, and I agree that it's tough, but you need high functioning gear in the mountains. Poor quality gear can turn a hunt of a lifetime into a nightmare.
You're right about needing functioning gear; however you are wrong about slagging on Cabelas stuff and saying you need a certain brand.

I have a Bass Pro branded goretex hardshell that has been with me for uncountable days in the mountains. I got it for $80 in a clearance bin. Gore-tex is Gore-tex (although I'm sure Arcteryx has better DWR) and it works. It's about 4 ounces heavier than a high end Gore-tex shell, but about $400 cheaper.

I used to be much more into climbing than hunting. Summer, winter, rock, ice and alpine. I was also a student and on a budget, used my Bass Pro shell, value village fleeces for insulating layers. Bass Pro clearance bin gore tex gloves and went to far more extreme places than any hunter. I could post many pictures of me in atrocious conditions with my Bass Pro shell.

High end clothing is nice, and you can cut off some ounces which is double nice. However, functional gear need not be expensive or tied to any brand.