Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Wmu 338

well its getting to be that time of year again ... Im heading up there nove15 for aweek of hunting .. Anybody been scouting yet there? Numbers of deer?
Any will be there will couple other people offf this site that I havent met yet... This will be year 3 for me hunting 338 should be fun

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM

We have late season cow elk tag there. Haven't scouted it this year or know of deer numbers. Not enough time to scout this year!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 AM

I know the feeling been crazy busy so far this year .... I have been successful ever year up there hunting . i most of the crown land mapped out on my gps

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Seen a nice cougar sitting on the road right by your campsite recce and lots of wolf tracks every where. Seen a good number of whitetail deer lately but biggest so far was only a smaller 4x4. Seen 5 black bears (mom and 3 little ones and a solitary one) as well about 1 mile north west of your campsite.

Have yet to see a moose or elk which blows.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanks John
I hope to be up there around noon this year weather depending got the frame done for my tent ..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM

I love 338. Really nice terrain. I was scouting a few weeks back and was surprised... I didn't see one deer. Every time I head that way I always see lots. Although there were tons of tracks.

I'll be heading back out that way hopefully around Nov 3rd..
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM

I been out almost every second weekend stalking elk since sept never got close enough. But everytime i went seen lots of doe's running around seen a huge buck two weeks ago couldnt get close enough with the bow. Spoke with some locals lots of wolves and few cougars this year. Ruffies were flying everywhere too
Old 10-28-2014, 06:44 PM

nice im getting the itch...

Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM

Spent a weekend hunting grouse south of Nojack 18-19 of October seen tons of whitetail does and fawns and 4 bucks largest was a small 4x4. Good luck man I know how busy it can be there in November but at least the deer numbers look healthy!!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 PM

I will be there for 7 days

Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Default I should be out and about

Hey Recce I am not sure where you set up camp but I am going to be out your way as much as I can this November so let me know where you are set up and if I am in the area I will drop by.

Morb
Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pointplus View Post
Spent a weekend hunting grouse south of Nojack 18-19 of October seen tons of whitetail does and fawns and 4 bucks largest was a small 4x4. Good luck man I know how busy it can be there in November but at least the deer numbers look healthy!!
When I see this, I think "someone is hunting north of the highway and wants everyone else to go south" LOL

Lots of wolf tracks, no elk in archery season. Some whitetails were there but waayyyy off the roads and skittish. Just like every other zone close to a city. Ruffies seemed good, not like last years bonanza, but the spots I know had way more industry traffic. Be careful guys, know what's behind your target.

And shoot every dang wolf you can. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM

I'm just north of you in 348. I have a bunch of trail cameras and this year has been the lowest numbers of deer I've seen in the 3 years I've been hunting there. Tons of predators! Was good for grouse during bow season though.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM

I will be up that way a good bit in Nov again. Unfortunately most of the week you are headed up I am in Winnipeg however I do have the 20,21 off. Might see you up that way.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:53 PM

I have hunted that zone my whole career, I have seen the deer numbers dwindle drastically to the point I won't shoot one there anymore, to many supplementals given out for a zone that is close to the city as well as being super accessible. The few times I was up there I September all i would see was a few ruffies and a ton of wolf tracks, every lease road had tracks in the mud. We have no moose draws this year so I might try to explore a new area this year or else just stick to the trusty bowzone. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 PM

Dont listen to lies here is truth about 338.
1st elk is on south side of the wmu west of cynthia along the river.Lots of moose too.
2nd.there is no much of a deer but be carefull there is some black bears along the river.
3rd dont go north on the powerline like everyone is saying if you actually want to kill something.