Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 04:26 PM

Default Scotties Tournament of Hearts

So the Scotties Tournament of Hearts for Women's curling kicked off this weekend in Calgary. However on the defending champions team, Team Canada, the lead for the team just before the tournament started has been declared ineligible. No reason has been given and the team has been warned not to comment on the matter. Curl Canada gets funding from the taxpayers which in part funds events like this. I think people have a right to know why the player is ineligible. Disappointing to see how our rights are being taken away from us in this country. Yes comrades pretty soon we will be known as the Republic of Canada, ruled by a dictator.
Old 02-17-2024, 04:50 PM

who is on the team
Old 02-17-2024, 05:12 PM

Yes Brianne Harris was ruled ineligible by curling Canada, I can only assume it was due to a failed drug test for a banned substance, the reason no official announcement yet by them or team Canada is most likely due to the fact that a second test was or will be conducted after a 24hr period to ensure that the first test was not a false positive. If the 2nd test is also positive I'm sure an official announcement will be made.
In this world of instant social media everyone thinks it's their right to know everything the moment it happens, not so as there is a process for drug testing that unfortunately is not instantaneous and there are liability issues so don't get your knickers in a Knott so fast. As someone that has been involved with tests every 30 days for the past 9 years I can assure you there are plenty of false positives that have yo be retested.

Of course this is just my humble opinion

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:27 PM

could the participants do a separate test or would the false positive be on any test conducted at that particular time

no idea waiting for an answer
Old 02-18-2024, 05:40 AM

Default I'm No Drug Expert

But in my 9 years since being diagnosed with CLL ( Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia ) I have learned a lot about blood and urine testing and about false positives and false markers in those test results, I won't go into details as it's a very long story that involves some 500+ tubes of blood taken over that time span.

I cannot speak for this situation at the Scotties but it could be something as simple as unknowingly taking the wrong over the counter cold tablet, some of which contain corticosteroids which would be a banned substance by the Canadian Anti-doping Council ( CCES ) athletes and their medical staff should have comprehensive lists of what contains banned substances and what is safe to take, my 16 year old grandson had those lists before they headed to the Chez Republic in 2019 with Team Canada West for the World Ball Hockey Championships as they knew they could be randomly drug tested prior to the tournament.

Anyway that's just my take on it, eventually we will know once an official statement is released by Curling Canada.

On a positive note is has not seemed to derail Team Canada's run for a 5th straight title as they are 2 - 0 going into todays action.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:20 AM

Very odd situation for sure. Lots of hush hush.

Curling Canada's oddly worded comment was very cryptic and has been the fuel for the controversy.

"There will be no further comment on this situation from Curling Canada or members of Team Canada,” the governing body said in a release."

Lots of rumour mill on the internet about it, but nothing substantiated. From drug test failure to sports betting to criminal charges. Give them some time perhaps at this point, but the clock is ticking.

One comment I have though and in some agreement with the OP is this. Curling Canada receives over $5 million dollars in funding from the tax payer through Federal Government grants. They have an obligation to the sports fans to come clean about matters such as this. Look at the situation that just happened in the Hockey Canada scandal and they had their government funding suspended. It seems to me that some of these sports association governance boards take plenty of liberties.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:45 AM

If in fact it was a failed drug test the below statement clears up the reason that Curling Canada and Team Canada cannot and will not have any comment on the situation, suffice to say the Scotties will be over long before any official statement is released by the CCES.

— The key words in the statement are “made aware.” The point is that the ineligibility ruling came from a third party outside of Curling Canada. That party informed Curling Canada that it is not permitted to explain further. There is a belief that the organization’s hands are tied and they are waiting to hear more, just like everyone else.

-- The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport handles drug testing and the reporting of results. Typically, the results are reported on the CCES website. The policies of the organization state that “within 20 days after it has been determined on a hearing or on an appeal whether an anti-doping rule violation has occurred, the CCES will name the athlete, sport, banned substance and consequences imposed.”

Old 02-20-2024, 06:47 AM

Like hockey canada
Old 02-25-2024, 08:14 AM

Well than there are 3 Jones and Cameron go at it at noon to see who plays Homan in the final at 6:00 tonight.

Would have liked to see young Strumay in there but she wasn't on her game yesterday and Cameron missed nothing

Homan and Jones slugged it out last night for 11 ends, a great game, should be interesting to see if Jones can get back to the final

Old 02-25-2024, 02:10 PM

Joanne Courtney is a breath of fresh air in the commentators booth at least.
She brings some curling common sense to offset the other two delusional clowns, Russ and Vic.

Homan has outclassed the field so far, but it looks like Jones will get another crack in the final to bump her off. This is after Homan has beaten Jones twice already in the tournament; crazy page playoff system.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=AxeMan;4704391]Joanne Courtney is a breath of fresh air in the commentators booth at least.
She brings some curling common sense to offset the other two delusional clowns, Russ and Vic.

Agreed, time for Russ and Vic to step down, like Joanne there. Hopefully Homan came hold off Jones again. Alberta girls did pretty good for being there first time to the big show. They'll be back.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:10 PM

who won?
Old 02-25-2024, 07:17 PM

It's 2 - 1 Homan playing the 5th

Old 02-25-2024, 08:37 PM

Nothing wrong with Vic and Russ commentary.

4-4 in the tenth...go Jones team!
Old 02-25-2024, 09:08 PM

Congrats to Rachel Homan and team. They are the unbeaten champs.
Also, congrats to J Jones, what a great career.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:26 AM

Was a great game as it should be in the final, Congrats to Homan, she has had her game face on all week and her team played great and she made the big shots when it counted. Good luck to her at the worlds, GO TEAM CANADA

Friday the brier starts in Regina, should be another week of great curling action.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Nothing wrong with Vic and Russ commentary.

4-4 in the tenth...go Jones team!
Russ is a wealth of knowledge.
Vic irritates me to no end. He gets worse every year.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
So the Scotties Tournament of Hearts for Women's curling kicked off this weekend in Calgary. However on the defending champions team, Team Canada, the lead for the team just before the tournament started has been declared ineligible. No reason has been given and the team has been warned not to comment on the matter. Curl Canada gets funding from the taxpayers which in part funds events like this. I think people have a right to know why the player is ineligible. Disappointing to see how our rights are being taken away from us in this country. Yes comrades pretty soon we will be known as the Republic of Canada, ruled by a dictator.
Possibly she was tested positive for some test and they decided to make it a private matter.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:47 AM

Good weekend of curling, Homan seems to never miss on her hits and Jones was in it till her front end let her down in the 10th with a missed guard not getting to the center line and a hogged rock but they are young and will learn. I can still handle Russ and Joanne but Vic has to go, he still asks questions like he is 5 years old and doesn't fully understancd the shot objective yet he has been commenting and curling for over 30 years.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:05 AM

Jone’s had a chance. She was tight,or not enough ice,on her last draw. Would’ve have been nice to have Homan make her last shot!

A good week of curling and can’t wait for the Brier.

As to Russ and Vic……. Joanne was a good addition.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:50 AM

Default And Now We Know The Rest Of The Story

So we now know that it was in fact a failed drug test, there was no coverup or conspiracy so the conspiracy theorists can rest at ease knowing that it was not a national conspiracy. All those that felt they had the right to know immediately well they just had to wait.

As I stated earlier about drug tests they would not release any information until the 2nd test or the " B " test was conducted and verified, normal procedure.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/curler-h...tion-1.6804275