Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2023, 08:32 PM

Default Need a hand installing a front sight.

Gentlemen and women,
I bought a new Henry .357 rifle then purchased a Skinner peep sight. I had an inkling that it might shoot high so I bought the taller front sight at the same time. It has come to my attention that in my vast collection of tools I do not have a file small enough to successfully install the sight into the dove tail. I could smash it in butt....well It's a kind of a nice rifle.
Any recommendations on who to take it to? I'm in South Calgary if anyone is interested in tackling it. Be more than happy to compensate.
Thanks for any help.

Tullfan
Old 10-10-2023, 09:14 PM

Canadian tire, Princess auto etc. sell small files, generally in a cheap plastic package. I have used the files many times, not extra high quality but decent enough to do the job.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:45 AM

I’m assuming the sight is slightly too wide to fit in the dove tail , if so by how much. If it’s a minute amount you don’t file the dovetail on the barrel . You use a flat file and file the bottom of the sight. Not the sides , the bottom . As you remove material off the bottom this makes the sight dovetail smaller . Go slow it doesn’t take much
Old 10-11-2023, 07:21 AM

Theres a princess auto on my way home. I have files at work, if its just removing material from the bottom, I have files big enough to use. I was under the impression you filed the edge. I will just make it the same profile as the one I removedish. Well, I guess if you take too much off there is always green loktite, right?
Ok, thanks again,
Tullfan
Old 10-11-2023, 07:22 AM

Off the bottom .
Old 10-11-2023, 11:25 AM

If its almost there i take a stroke or two off the bottom. Many 3/8 dovetails i have installed the past few years required a safe file and removing materials off the side of the dovetail. You can make a safe file pretty simply by geting a small triangular file and grinding one side flat. Safe side points up so your only cutting materials off the dovetail. I like using a front sight tool for pressing them into ramps but if it into a dovetail on the barrel i shoot for being able to push the sight about 30% in using just my hand then a brass punch for the remainder. Go very slow and test often. Loose dovetails can be tightend but a thorough careful job of fitting is always best. Its best to measure both the insert and the dovetail to figure which method for filing is needed.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:46 PM

Default Update,

So, grabbed my calliper and some files from work and got home and went to work. Took about an hour of filing and testing. I got the dovetail to start by hand and finished tapping it in with a brass punch. I centred it best I could and It’ll work just fine. Now to verify poi, and adjust.
I’m less worried about wrecking a 10g Harley engine than a 3/8 dovetail. Stresses me out. Lol
Thanks again for all the help.
Tullfan