Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-04-2023, 11:07 AM

Default Ammo change

I've been shooting Federal fusions for years now in almost every gun I've owned. Always liked them and they have worked for me. However, the last few weeks at the range I have not been getting the best accuracy out of them in my 308 using 180 grain bullets.

So I decided to give a new brand a try and chose Hornady Whitetail 150 gr ammo......Accuracy with these in my gun is great! So far shooting paper, I love them.

For those of you who shoot Interlocks, how do they perform on game? Solid bullet on deer up to and including moose? We will be going for a bull this November as well as our deer.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:19 AM

Hornady Interlocks in 165 Grain .308 in a 30.06 usually go right through a bull moose hit in the ribs. If a Shoulder is hit, it goes right through and sticks under the hide on the opposite side.

The base of the bullet holds up with at least 1/2 of the bullet weight but the mushroom effect on the top half is quite impressive on the occasions where the bullet was recovered on the hide on the opposite side.

These handloads are running at 2900 feet per second, if that helps at all.

I would expect that 150 grain Hornady Interlocks on a factory load would be close to the same velocity, and performance.

Drewski
Old 10-04-2023, 12:18 PM

No issues for deer. But if you like fusions try the 165 weight in your 308. Still bonded, a little faster. Can still use on moose and elk.
But I’ve always had luck with hornady for ammo in my guns. So it’s still an option.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:14 PM

I have hunted the last 3 years with 308 150g Hornady American WT ammo. My Ruger loves it. Does great against deer, and i took a moose at close range last year with it. Funny thing is i have never had a round go through the far side of an animal. The soft points seems to dump all their energy in 6-8".

I've tried the 165g versions but they group nowhere near as good as the 150g out of my rifle.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:35 PM

I have used Interlocks in all my hunting rifles and have never been disappointed in their performance. Everything from 7mm-08 to .375 HH.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:59 PM

Interlock = hornady version of Remington Corelokt, the deadliest mushroom in the woods… if you do your part, the bullet will do it’s. Had I not just found some more accubonds for my 308 I was going to switch as hornady stuff can easily be found and in boxes of 100 vs 50 for my reloading.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:10 AM

Default Eldx

Try the precision hunter line, the ELDX has the interlock ring also but is a higher coefficient and they shoot amazingly accurate in everything I have tried them in

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.