Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post

and not a circle $%rk of the OP. No offense, Tork.
How could somebody possibly be offended by that ? When considering the source I mean !
Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 AM

Anyway folks

Thanks to all of you that understood what I was trying to do here. I thought it was a great opportunity for a couple young people and obviously a bunch of them did too. I received 15 different emails from interested young men and women and not one of them felt what I was offering was unfair.

I'd also like to say thank you for all the PMs I received from members here that supported what I was doing.

Ironically in Alberta this type of position is not only legal in the eyes of the labour board it's actually encouraged as a training technique. Unfortunately BC is not the same.

And like Alder said just call up one of the other outfitters in BC, The Yukon or NWT and I'm sure they will hire you right on green as grass for that minimum wage he was talking about.

Just so the numbers are out in the open it will cost one of those outfitters about $20,000 per trainee by the time they get them to camp, feed them and they work/learn. So for two trainees the outfitter would have to sell 4 dall sheep hunts in the NWT or 4 moose hunts in the Yukon, or 7 moose hunts in BC just to cover that cost alone. Yep, I can see them lined up right now.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Anyway folks

Thanks to all of you that understood what I was trying to do here. I thought it was a great opportunity for a couple young people and obviously a bunch of them did too. I received 15 different emails from interested young men and women and not one of them felt what I was offering was unfair.

I'd also like to say thank you for all the PMs I received from members here that supported what I was doing.

Ironically in Alberta this type of position is not only legal in the eyes of the labour board it's actually encouraged as a training technique. Unfortunately BC is not the same.

And like Alder said just call up one of the other outfitters in BC, The Yukon or NWT and I'm sure they will hire you right on green as grass for that minimum wage he was talking about.

Just so the numbers are out in the open it will cost one of those outfitters about $20,000 per trainee by the time they get them to camp, feed them and they work/learn. So for two trainees the outfitter would have to sell 4 dall sheep hunts in the NWT or 4 moose hunts in the Yukon, or 7 moose hunts in BC just to cover that cost alone. Yep, I can see them lined up right now.
I think your 20K per trainee is even a bit light. When we had our area in BC our eyes got opened up real quick on the cost of transportation of supplies/personnel etc.. The plane goes in and out FULL. The cost of feeding and watering Staff is huge, all cost considered.

It's very expensive to run an area properly and if you want to be successful you go first class on everything you can. Sounds like you are doing it right.

Too bad this turned out as it did. I wish you all the best in your new venture!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Boy I'm sure glad none of the negative nellys from this thread were around when I was growing up. The experience I gained from working as a youngster with qualified tradesmen for free helped me to form a solid opinion of exactly what I wanted to do long before I finished school. I didn't need to waste time wondering what I should do or "trying to find myself". I hit the ground running and got on with life. I finished my first trade by the time I was 21. (4 year program) Had my second one completed at 25.
Tork your offer was solid. You were open and honest. You had the bases covered with respect to accidents or injuries. The opportunity was very valuable. Anyone who couldn't see that just doesn't get it. Good on you for putting it out there.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM

It's a great opportunity for a young guy or gal . I guided a couple of hunt's every year for 15yrs an loved every minute of it . You mite be able to guide full time or help the outfiter out each season takeing a few hunt's the experience an the opportunity is priceless
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I shot a boar grizzly with slingshot twice , at 20 yards,using 58 cal lead balls for ammo, I have it on video, my daughter and 3 year old grandson were with me ,

I am not frightened by some pizz ant braggart threats ,on the internet
Big man brags about endangering his family? Would you still be bragging if that o'l griz turned around and chewed up you grandson. I wouldn't call that tough, I would call it irresponsible.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Big man brags about endangering his family? Would you still be bragging if that o'l griz turned around and chewed up you grandson. I wouldn't call that tough, I would call it irresponsible.
He seems pretty quiet now doesn't he. doesn't look like his way of thinking is too popular. I imagine he gave his kids all kinds of experiences growing up learning. Too bad he wants to take something away like this from everyone elses......
Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
IF I every told my wife or daughter that I taunted a grizz with a sling shot with her kids ,the kids wouldn't be able to hang out with me no more and they would have a doc check my mellon,not a cool thing to do let alone brag about.

Nothing like scaring the sh///t out your guests ,good for repeat business or telling that story at the fire that night with a guest that's green in the bush,poor basterd would need nerve pills to finish his one and only trip with him.

Big part of being a guide is sharing stories and the gift of the gab,nothing like a good horror story on how mentally secure his guide is,this story if I was his guest would definitely make sure I sleep with one eye open and he would walk ahead of me the whole trip.

Last edited by JD848; 04-07-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Banned

This entire thread is an embarrassment to this forum. Some wonder why so many of the good guys are gone here...well this is a pretty good example of why. 8 pages of guys poking their noses where it don't belong and feuding over something they have no understanding of. Post up great pics and stories and seldom does a thread reach page 2 but a good old schoolyard brawl and every dummy out there needs to chime in.

I've done piles of free work for friends but not strangers and wouldn't be interested in this myself, but an internship for those interested but not knowing where to start is certainly an option. It's also more common than some seem to think. Just because I'm not interested doesn't mean it's open season to schit on anyone else that does get it. People really suck.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 AM

New to this forum. Is anyone looking for a certified farrier to come guide? Some experience. Not looking to volunteer tho. This seems like a good deal for someone just out of school who needs some encouragement to go back to school.