Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Default Advice on bear hide processing

Been hunting big game for over a decade but going for my first black bear this spring. I didn't plan on starting this early but will be in Hinton for work and will have a few days to stalk.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do with the hide to get it back to my deep-freeze or a taxidermist in Calgary. I've slated the hunting days for the end of my trip so I will be able to bee-line it back, but still at least a 5.5 hr + drive. Is there anything I should do to prep the hide for such a trip? Also first time dealing with a taxidermist (do my own euro mounts), any recommendations for someone in Calgary? Figure if it's a nice hide I'll shell out for a rug but otherwise I'll just get it tanned.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 PM

If you can get it to a freezer in a day just put in in a cooler and throw some ice on top.
If you shoot it in the evening lay it out to cool over night.
Don't salt it unless you can flesh it and turn the eyes, lips and ears.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 PM

If its warm out, it will be best to skin it/flesh it best you can and salt the hide. Depending on if you have done it before doing the paws and turning ears my take as long as the drive would. It might not be worth the time it takes to do the head and paws. Best of luck out there...hopefully its a cool day/evening when you get him. Keep in mind if you get him in the evening make sure your taxi will open for you that late.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:01 PM

Hide will be spoiled within 2 days if not salted. Moisture and Heat worst enemy So hang it in a tree overnight don't wash off the hide with water, leave it as is. Google/YouTube how to salt and fold up the hide for transportation. Do not throw it in a cooler with ice you want to keep it free of any moisture unless as noted above you can get it to a freezer that day.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Basic game-plan is to skin out to the ankles and neck leaving the paws and head, then straight back to Calgary. So I'll have it in a deep-freeze within 24 hours of harvesting. Not sure if I should bother with the ice/cooler but I guess I'll figure that one out.

Now have a contact for tanning thanks to this thread so I'll follow up with him soon as I get back. This is all assuming the bears are out and I can put a stalk on one. Will let you know how she goes
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalwa View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Basic game-plan is to skin out to the ankles and neck leaving the paws and head, then straight back to Calgary. So I'll have it in a deep-freeze within 24 hours of harvesting. Not sure if I should bother with the ice/cooler but I guess I'll figure that one out.

Now have a contact for tanning thanks to this thread so I'll follow up with him soon as I get back. This is all assuming the bears are out and I can put a stalk on one. Will let you know how she goes
In hot weather, it doesn't take long for the hide to spoil and the thicker parts will take longer to cool out . Done it your way and got away with it, but 24 hours is a long time. Might invest time in learning to skin out the head and paws. Usually bring a 25kg bag of salt from the feed store with me.

Grizz
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdales View Post
Hide will be spoiled within 2 days if not salted. Moisture and Heat worst enemy So hang it in a tree overnight don't wash off the hide with water, leave it as is. Google/YouTube how to salt and fold up the hide for transportation. Do not throw it in a cooler with ice you want to keep it free of any moisture unless as noted above you can get it to a freezer that day.
It has to be fleshed down for the salt to do any good.
The salt removes the moisture preventing the bacteria from causing the hair to slip.
If it is not fleshed, the salt can't take the moisture out of the leather.
If you can't do that, bag it after it is cool and keep it cold.
I didn't mean that it should be in a cooler submerged in cold water.
Bag it and cover it with ice.
I've lost track of how many bears I have fleshed and salted and how many I have kept cold in a cooler for a day.
Haven't lost one yet.