Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Purchasing optics

Is there any where in Ab that you can compare optics in a natural setting and not a store parking lot? Have been thinking of upgrading and looking at Pellee Wings out of Ontario and was wondering if there was a place like this here.

It would be pretty easy for the stores to run demo's so a guy can take them out and use them in the field before dumping major $.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 AM

Cabelas has a great return policy. I was able to purchase and test multiple range finders before returning the ones I didn't like. Quality binos and scopes are certainly more expensive though, so I'm not sure if the same policy applies there, but it might be worth checking out?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 AM

When I was looking at spotting scopes the guys at Guns 'n' Games in Stettler gave me a window mount and the scope I was looking at and told me told go out in the countryside and try it. I was in shock that he offered me that but took him up on it and tried it out. It worked as he ended up selling me that scope.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Also looking at spotters...dont see what the big deal would be for the stores to carry a demo of the glass they stock. Some one wants to take them out grab a credit card print in case it don't come back or gets broke. When your lookin at 2 to 5K it's a major expenditure
Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Also looking at spotters...dont see what the big deal would be for the stores to carry a demo of the glass they stock. Some one wants to take them out grab a credit card print in case it don't come back or gets broke. When your lookin at 2 to 5K it's a major expenditure
You also have to look at how many 2K to 5K scopes that a store sells in a year. Once a 5K scope becomes a demo, it has to be sold as such, and that is an instant 1K to 1.5K lost for the store. If the store only sells four of five scopes in that price range, and they use one each of four or five models for demos, then their profit is gone. On the other hand, a store like Pelee Wings, might sell a dozen or more of each model in that price range, so the cost of having demos is feasible for them.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 AM

Thinking more along the lines of the companies manufacturing them supplying. Seem to do it every where else but here.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Thinking more along the lines of the companies manufacturing them supplying. Seem to do it every where else but here.
The companies tend to do it where they think that it will bring enough sales to be profitable. You could contact the major companies, and ask them why they don't do it in Alberta.