Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 07:17 PM

Default Five Shot Sight In

I was at the range today moving some clays, and on the way out, I checked the main range, and met a very frustrated fellow. He shot at a deer yesterday and it limped off, with just some hair and a few spots of blood left behind. Today he came to the range to check his rifle, and his first shot at 100m never touched the target paper. He was very frustrated, and sure what to try next. I showed him how to remove the bolt, look down the bore, center the target in the bore, and then look throw the scope , and align the crosshairs with the bore. When I lined up the target in the bore, the crosshairs were a full two feet above the bullseye, so I adjusted the scope. The first shot afterward was 3" left and 1" low so I made a second scope adjustment ,and another shot was fired. The second shot was 1" right and 1" high, so I made one more adjustment, and a three shot group was 2" high at 100m and centered left to right. The fellow was very happy, until I pointed out that without finding out why the scope moved over 2 feet, I couldn't be sure that it would hold zero. He left planning to hunt tomorrow, and then look into the issue farther next spring.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:32 PM

On the same topic. When I was working behind a gun counter I had a fellow who was going on a guided moose hunt in Northern BC. He was really excited, telling me all about it. He was buying a new rig for the hunt. Brand new Model 70 and Leupold VX-3. I mounted the scope and as I was bore sighting it on the counter he said "make sure you take your time with that, I probably won't have time to take it to the range before my hunt."
Old 11-28-2020, 07:36 PM

When I was a young kid, got my 1st pellet gun and a 4 power bushnell a little later, I thought you just bolt it on and go hunting. Didnt realize there were dials under the caps!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:11 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
When I was a young kid, got my 1st pellet gun and a 4 power bushnell a little later, I thought you just bolt it on and go hunting. Didnt realize there were dials under the caps!
Now that's funny...picked up a rifle once and yup the cross hairs were an X when viewed through the scope...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Now that's funny...picked up a rifle once and yup the cross hairs were an X when viewed through the scope...
x marks the spot. I think yours is funnier.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:17 AM

You would be surprised how many people think that if they bore sight a rifle scope on the work bench they don't actually have to waste any ammo to shoot it on paper and verify it's point of impact at 100 yards.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
On the same topic. When I was working behind a gun counter I had a fellow who was going on a guided moose hunt in Northern BC. He was really excited, telling me all about it. He was buying a new rig for the hunt. Brand new Model 70 and Leupold VX-3. I mounted the scope and as I was bore sighting it on the counter he said "make sure you take your time with that, I probably won't have time to take it to the range before my hunt."

'Gonna spend $20K on a guided hunt, but don't have time to spend $50 on ammo to sight in my rifle....'??

That is appalling.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post

Took a newbie out hunting last year and the day before he told me he'd just had a scope mounted on this 30-06 at Cabela's. I asked him if he'd zeroed the scope? His reply, "Oh, Cabela's bore sighted it for me"

LOL

So I loaned him my spare for the morning hunt and took him straight to the range after it opened at 10 am and we zeroed his scope. He didn't know and they didn't explain it to him. I guess whomever he spoke with at Cabela's assumed he knew what was what and didn't ask. He knows now...........LOL

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***