Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Default Barnes bullet performance

There has been so many opinions on bullet performance on game over the years. Barnes seem to be as controversial as any. The main argument against is it acts like somewhat of a solid and lacks the electrocution effect for lack of a better term. This is true to a degree for sure. They do not grenade upon impact. On my side of the fence, there are those that like deep penetration, two holes most of the time, and angle and bone fighting ability. I prefer one load for my rifle, as you never know what tag will be in your pocket.

Admittedly I’m a shoulder shooter, or like to crowd at least one. I like Barnes for that application. I’ve strayed from Barnes a bunch, but I tend to migrate back to them. I’ve been critical of those that dislike them and think crowding the diaphragm doesn’t help when a bullet doesn’t peel apart or shrapnel.

Well, I blew my shot placement on this years Whitetail and broke my own rule. I hit the thing too far back. I was shooting a 30-06 and 168 TTSX’s at just a hair over 2900 FPS. This deer hit a meadow not much bigger than your average town lot, I ranged him at 380 yards, pulled my pack, flopped down with my gun over it and shot just as his nose hit the timber on the far side. I heard it hit and saw him react and knew from that reaction I was plenty far back. So I gave him a half an hour.

When I found him he hadn’t gone 20 yards and left a blood trail a blind man on a fast horse would see. I hit liver, clipped lung and missed ribs on both sides. Zero meat wasted and if I could shoot worth a hoot I’d aim there every time. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 11-27-2020, 02:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Place it and it will do its job very effectively....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Nice, Chuck. I had a similar result on a cow elk at 250 yards a few years ago, she got moving as I was shooting and also hit her further back than intended, in the liver and clipped lungs. Shooting a 180 gr TSX from a .300 WM. She dropped straight in her tracks, one of the most impressive kills I've had. I wonder if the massive shock to the liver plays a role in the quick kill? Anyway, it works. Not that I try for that shot deliberately either. And if I'm not shooting a TSX/TTSX, then it's going to be a Partition, or Accubond very occasionally.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 PM

Excellent!

This heart shot was 272 yards on a white tail a few weeks back.

Quartering shot that The 150TSX took out a long section of rib on the off side.

They work well in my .303 British, this is the third one I have killed with 150TSX's out of that rifle, all with similar results.
Cat
Old 11-27-2020, 03:12 PM

There might be something to that liver shot...idk..did same as the first two gentlemen with a 200gr np in 300wm on a bull moose...drt...a buddy did the same on a wt with 6.5x55 and 140gr...hmmmm
Old 11-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Awesome pictures guys! I’m glad to see I’m not the only one getting gut pile close ups! Lol!

-Billy Molls
Old 11-27-2020, 04:30 PM

I've used them very successfully on elk and moose, although maybe tag soup this year. Initially loaded the 140 TSX in a 270 win at 2880, no bullets recovered on a couple bull elk, just under 300yds one shot in behind the front leg, out the chest. One got two shots, one at aprox 250yds, double lung but he wasn't showing signs of slowing down and about to cross a creek and into the bush, he got one more right close to the first shot, but he was now on an angle, and it exited his offside shoulder(baseball size exit), no tracking required.

300 Win Mag, 168g TTSX at 2950, two bull moose and one nice size cow. All double lung, complete penetration, and none went far. 70yds to maybe 200 on the Cow.

Now loading 120g TTSX in 7-08 at 3060, and 145 LRX in 7 Rem Mag at shade over 3000, maybe 3100 can't remember. They both lost some steam last time I Chrony'd them. Temp drop and an older Alpha Chrony, my buddies LabRadar showed higher speeds, but it was also 20deg warmer. Haven't taken an animal yet with those two loads but feel they are plenty adequate for elk and moose. Little 7-08 should do just fine inside 300yds I'd think, and the Rem Mag will take them further then I will shoot if I do my part.

I haven't loaded a lead bullet for hunting in years.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:21 PM

The 145 LRX is a hammer. I’m shooting it in my Mashburn at 3250. What a laser.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-27-2020, 05:54 PM

Love these terminal results breakdowns, one thing I have noticed is everyone seems to be getting it done with what ever bullet they choose, makes one think that bullet placement is more important than bullet selection and caliber. Hope we get more breakdowns with some of the traditional style cup and core bullets. I would suspect picking a bullet and practice with that same load And rifle to gain confidence is more important than switching bullets and loads with every marketing pitch.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM

I’ve been shooting my 25-06 AI for a few years now. 80gr Ttsx at 3875fps muzzle. Shoots very accurate and kills very well and quickly. Mature mule buck at 370. Buddy used it to shoot his WT buck at 200ish. My daughter used it to shoot her WT buck at 180ish. I shot my WT buck with it a 250ish. Last year. This year I shot my antelope buck with it at 370yds. All except my mule buck dropped on the spot. The muley went 30ish yards. Behind the shoulder thru the ribs. My daughter used her own normal 25-06 this year with the same 80gr Ttsx at around 3600fps and dropped her mule doe quickly from a heart shot at around 120yds. Has been a half dozen coyotes fall to the combo of mine too. Very good bullets. My favourite for big game.

Shot a big black bear years ago with my 35 whelen and 225gr Tsx. Close range from a tree stand, down thru the top of the center of the neck. Shattered the vertebrae and bullet carried on thru the body and I found it against the hide on the underside. 34-35” of penetration.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:04 PM

My mule deer buck this year was hit on the near side shoulder at about 120yds as he was bedded. He jumped up and ran 10-15yds, turned around and ran back and fell over about where his bed was. Massive destruction of the shoulder bone, but not much meat wasted. 127gr LRX at about 2850 from a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Small white tail meat buck at about 200yds. Hit him a little far back and higher than I intended as he was slowly walking, he may have changed direction judging by the orientation of the entrance and exit holes. He collapsed, raised his head and it fell over, didn't move after that. Got the lungs and missed the spine. 150gr TTSX at about 2950 from a 308.

Pretty much a Barnes **** now.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Love these terminal results breakdowns, one thing I have noticed is everyone seems to be getting it done with what ever bullet they choose, makes one think that bullet placement is more important than bullet selection and caliber. Hope we get more breakdowns with some of the traditional style cup and core bullets. I would suspect picking a bullet and practice with that same load And rifle to gain confidence is more important than switching bullets and loads with every marketing pitch.
Yup I have always preached accuracy first and bullet performance second!
The best, most popular bullet around won't don't do much good if it isn't placed properly .
Luckily for me I haven't found a hunting bullet my rifle will not shoot well!
Cat
Old 11-27-2020, 08:02 PM

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Nice, Chuck. I had a similar result on a cow elk at 250 yards a few years ago, she got moving as I was shooting and also hit her further back than intended, in the liver and clipped lungs. Shooting a 180 gr TSX from a .300 WM. She dropped straight in her tracks, one of the most impressive kills I've had. I wonder if the massive shock to the liver plays a role in the quick kill? Anyway, it works. Not that I try for that shot deliberately either. And if I'm not shooting a TSX/TTSX, then it's going to be a Partition, or Accubond very occasionally.
My three favourite bullets as well.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:40 PM

I have shot 2 animals with the 165gr TTSX out of my 300 RUM, first was a 5x5 bull elk, about 80 yards broadside, just behind the shoulder, he went about 25 yards, never recovered the bullet as it was a complete pass through, exit hole was about 2" or so in diameter, lungs inside looked like a pail of jelly.

2nd was a nice big bull moose at 215 yards, again double lung shot, no exit hole and never recovered the bullets, 1st shot he just shuddered 2nd one he rocked and tipped over, both shots were about 4" apart again lungs were a mess, 2nd shot would not have been needed but I hate tracking with no snow so I hit him again.

Love the TTSX it produces dead animals, lots of penetration and damage, just what it's supposed to do.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:44 PM

I hit my WT buck a bit too far forward this year. Knew I did when I pulled the trigger but he reacted decent on the shot. Ended up only making it about 60 yards before piling up. Bullet got into the chest cavity and wrecked the lungs, both front shoulders toast. I usually shoot shoulders but found this bullet struck further in front than usual. The 140TTSX performed amazingly.

I've strayed and tried different bullets, but always come back to the TTSX it seems, especially in my main rig.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 PM

Ive had great success with monometals.

first WT doe was ~120yds away and i smacked both front legs with a 139gr GMX and she piled up 40yds into the bush. Same year I shot a 5x5 WT buck ~10yds away through the front shoulder and he went 30yds down the pipeline and died.

I switched to Barnes when I started reloading and havent looked back. Im shooting the 120gr TTSX in 7mm RM at 3300fps. The last few deer I have shot have been double lunged, and die within 40yds of being shot. The buck I took this year at 40yds and he died in his tracks. Again a double lung up higher towards the spine, the lungs had a fist sized jelly hole in them and the exit was no bigger than a toonie.

I have yet to recover a TTSX and only got 30gr of the GMX back on the 5x5
Old 11-27-2020, 09:43 PM

I use the 100 grain TTSX in my 25.06, all handloads these days. I started with the Barnes factory load to start and was impressed so started loading it. This year I shot a mature back at 30 yards and he piled up 30 yards from impact, with the blood trail starting about halfway. I clipped the back half of the heart. My wife shot her buck with it broadside at 40 yards in the shoulder, he probably went 20 yards again with the blood trail starting half way, more blood this time. Shoulder and lungs taken out. I always expect more blood trail, but I guess there usually isn’t much opportunity when the deer piles up quickly.

I bought a 300wsm this year and took a doe at 20 yards with a 180 gr accubond. The shot was diagonal into the front shoulder and it was impressive that it travelled to the hide near the opposite rear quarter. The deer piled up quickly, 20 yards, but no blood trail. I kind of figured going to a 30 cal magnum I would see some obvious advantage but I haven’t yet.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:30 PM

There’s not always huge amounts of blood with any bullet. Most of the time yes but not every time 🤷🏼*♂️ Every kill is different.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I use the 100 grain TTSX in my 25.06, all handloads these days. I started with the Barnes factory load to start and was impressed so started loading it. This year I shot a mature back at 30 yards and he piled up 30 yards from impact, with the blood trail starting about halfway. I clipped the back half of the heart. My wife shot her buck with it broadside at 40 yards in the shoulder, he probably went 20 yards again with the blood trail starting half way, more blood this time. Shoulder and lungs taken out. I always expect more blood trail, but I guess there usually isn’t much opportunity when the deer piles up quickly.

I bought a 300wsm this year and took a doe at 20 yards with a 180 gr accubond. The shot was diagonal into the front shoulder and it was impressive that it travelled to the hide near the opposite rear quarter. The deer piled up quickly, 20 yards, but no blood trail. I kind of figured going to a 30 cal magnum I would see some obvious advantage but I haven’t yet.
You heard of a bow? If you’re not gonna shoot anything past 40 yards wtf you need a magnum for let alone a powder burner of any kind?

As for the rest of y’all...way over gunned also.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You heard of a bow? If you’re not gonna shoot anything past 40 yards wtf you need a magnum for let alone a powder burner of any kind?

Lol some ones bitter
Old 11-28-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Over gunned? By who's criteria and opinion, yours?
Interesting post......
Cat
Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Hey Stinky. I don't disagree, I read your posts and they are interesting. I have had my quarter bore for almost 20 years, and it has been my only hunting rifle. Instead of taking someones word for it I wanted to try a .30 caliber magnum for myself, mostly for bullet weight and frontal diameter. I do think the 300 wsm is a great cartridge! But for what I am doing, yes it is over kill. I grew up in the prairies and have since switched to still hunting the bush, that's the reason for the close quarter shots.

But the post was about Barnes, I assume you would consider the TTSX if you were launching your projectiles just a little quicker?
Old 11-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Stinky, I get you are a Grendel fan (we all do by now, seriously), and you have your preference of bullets. It works for you. Awesome. But where do you get off telling other people they are "over gunned"? I shoot a 7mm08. Or a 7mm RM. Or a .300 WM. Whichever I want to use that day. And I have taken game with all of them, cleanly and efficiently. If it works, why make a comment like that, just because it's not your system? Jesus, is there anything your Grendel will do that an SKS won't, or an old Enfield, when it comes to putting game on the ground? Not really. Give it a rest.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-28-2020, 11:25 AM

Prairiekid, I also shoot 25cal and have a 300wm. The 300 usually stays home I’ve shot elk with both and piles of deer with each I just prefer my 25 it’s a sweet little rifle with lots of mustard and has a better scope. Are you running the 100gr or the 80gr ttsx? I’ve thought about trying the 80gr and just pushing plad speed with them but my 100gr sciroccos have just done so well on everything I haven’t made a switch. Would be interesting to see the performance of the 80gr ttsx at 25-06 speeds and see if they still hold up or if the pedals will just break off as I have heard online, who know was that one time and everyone talks about it or was it a bad lot? The barns bullets just like the Berger’s have a lot of misinformation from haters, it’s hard to get honest opinions from either cult when the bullets that start with B are named when terminal performance from shot to shot and animal size/type changes with every kill.

Last edited by Dubious; 11-28-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 AM

Dubious is right, you hear a lot of bad Barnes stories from haters and no end of positive from the true fans. I count myself a fan. I have shot a lot of game with a great many different bullets. I have zero complaints with the Barnes in quite a few different calibres. There are many bullets I like just as well but Barnes, and Hornady cup and cores rank as my top 2 bullet types and is all I have used for the past 15 years. Why keep trying out new stuff when you have already found two types/makes that are accurate and kill every time.

One of the only two animals I have ever lost was shot with a very early Berger Hunting bullet out of a 7 Rem Mag. I actually saw it splash on the shoulder. I never got the Moose and never used another Berger, despite Berger completely redesigning their hunting bullets due to all the complaints of failing to penetrate. No idea if the new Bergers work or not and will never find out.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:34 PM

Dubious, I have stuck to the 100gr because that's what I originally picked up in factory loads and was quite happy with the performance. Between my wife and I, we have shot 9 deer with the 100 gr ttsx. With the exception of two frontal shots all others were broadside. Luckily all shots were good shots and the bullets performed. So no bad stories here, but I'm also not pushing the limits of the cartridge or bullet. The closest shot was probably 20 yards and the farthest was just inside of 250.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:37 PM

This year was my first using Barnes LRX 145’s in my 280. MV was 3040 fps.
This bullet was retrieved out of a 6 pt bull elk under the hide of the off side after breaking the shoulder. I also punched one through the lungs of a 5x5 whitetail buck. I am a fan. Sorry Chuck, no blood and guts pic.

I hate bullets that fragment. Worst i have ever seen was Winchester power points out of my buddies 338 Win Mag- less than 6” of penetration on a smallish muley buck, which then necessitated several follow up shots. Pretty much varmint bullet performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2B8F854-9CEF-472D-9B6B-89493D9F3698.jpg (16.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 01:02 PM

I subscribe to the theory that Chuck does, a bullet that absolutely will do what needs doing, when I don't know for sure what chances I'll get at what, when I am out there. I am partial to Partitions, but, I think they've worked on the monometals enough now that they have them working about as good as can be asked of them. Don't seem to hear much of any issue with fouling anymore, load data isn't as different as it used to be from a lead bullet, they have their quirks about expansion in soft tissue at times, but, they do expand OK more often than not as far as I can tell. The opinions on non-expansion were conducted post-mortem after all. Plenty of good accuracy stories in evidence. Pretty hard to go wrong with them in a situation that may need the versatility they offer. The preponderance of evidence of their ability is certainly out there on them.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I subscribe to the theory that Chuck does, a bullet that absolutely will do what needs doing, when I don't know for sure what chances I'll get at what, when I am out there. I am partial to Partitions, but, I think they've worked on the monometals enough now that they have them working about as good as can be asked of them. Don't seem to hear much of any issue with fouling anymore, load data isn't as different as it used to be from a lead bullet, they have their quirks about expansion in soft tissue at times, but, they do expand OK more often than not as far as I can tell. The opinions on non-expansion were conducted post-mortem after all. Plenty of good accuracy stories in evidence. Pretty hard to go wrong with them in a situation that may need the versatility they offer. The preponderance of evidence of their ability is certainly out there on them.
If the monometals could find a heavier material then the longer bullet issue for load data would go away, and the aerodynamic BCs would also improve. I wonder if tungsten has been tried at all.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:32 PM

I think the old Barnes MRX had tungsten in the base for increased mass and non lead. I think that was their higher bc option before the lrx but others here would know better