Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I told you guys not to get stinky all revved up, now he's gone on holidays, oh boy
That's too bad. I wanted to hear how he was going to admit that the 30-30 was either a 500 yard cartridge, or maybe the Grendel isn't a 600 yarder!

While I'm here, I might as well really get some shots in, and say the Grendel has too small a case to take full advantage of the 6.5 bore!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That's too bad. I wanted to hear how he was going to admit that the 30-30 was either a 500 yard cartridge, or maybe the Grendel isn't a 600 yarder!

While I'm here, I might as well really get some shots in, and say the Grendel has too small a case to take full advantage of the 6.5 bore!
Regardless of any calculated impact speeds or energies. Shooting an animal at 600 yards requires more than nerding it up on a smartphone ballistic app and counting clicks into a scope turret.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Regardless of any calculated impact speeds or energies. Shooting an animal at 600 yards requires more than nerding it up on a smartphone ballistic app and counting clicks into a scope turret.
Absolutely it does! I think it's a bit far for nearly any gun/shooter combo; but if one were to attempt it, a more suitable gun would likely start with "7" and end with "agnum", and on up...

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:56 PM

I think for harvesting game it is best practice to use a properly constructed bullet, impacting the target within its operating velocity window, with proper shot placement.

Can and do people harvest game outside of these parameters: yes. Is it best practice to do so: probably not. Ultimately why oh why would the people who design, test and manufacture projectiles have usage recommendations? What could they possibly know about the subject at hand?

Not condemning anyone for their personal choices (this isn’t communist China.... yet...). Just sharing my opinion on the matter. Nice work Stinky, congrats on the buck!