Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Looking at new release

Need some first hand advice!

I have always used a Scott wrist strap release for target and hunting with no issues.

I have it in my head that I'm plucking the trigger and that my groups would improve with a Back tension or Thumb release.

My question is how does one decide with all the different ones on the market?

Shooting a 2020 APA Mamba 33 MT at 60-70 lbs. @ 28" for reference.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and advice.

Tim
Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 PM

B3 makes releases that very similar to what Scott sells. In fact many of the present B3 employees, included some of the Scott family apparently worked for Scott before Scott was sold to the Outdoor Group and manufacturing was moved. I'm very happy with my B3 Hawk release. It has a sear and a hook and I shoot it a lot better than I did my Scott Itty bitty roller sear caliper model. My release is the model with the nylon strap between the head and wrist strap, but they make several other models.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:01 PM

I am a bit of a release *****, and have many. Wanting a wrist style release that works with my substantial target panic, I purchased a Thru Fire by Tru Fire. It works pretty good, similar to the Carter Evolution, where you apply pressure and the shot breaks. It has a little more of a demand feeling versus simply waiting for the process to actuate like a pure back tension. JMO. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Looking at new release

I switched from a trufire strap to the Carter first choice (used).

My reason to move away from the wrist strap was a little plucking but mostly I was finding the anchor was inconsistent with the strap rotating slightly or pulling my wrist into tension and tweaking the works.

Put on/take off gloves was a pain and put another wrench into it all.

Took about 9 arrows to understand how the thumb barrel release feels and to smarten my groups up.

I found the difference in consistency was huge in favour of the thumb barrel and more comfortable to shoot.

First year using it for hunting, no deer within range but harvested a few grouse without too much worry. Just wearing light liner gloves and had my hands in my pocket to keep the fingers warm.

The one thing I dislike is the audible click when you connect it to the d-loop. It’s quite noticeable in the bush so I just leave it on a the second I start walking. Little cold to the touch last week lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Thru fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
I am a bit of a release *****, and have many. Wanting a wrist style release that works with my substantial target panic, I purchased a Thru Fire by Tru Fire. It works pretty good, similar to the Carter Evolution, where you apply pressure and the shot breaks. It has a little more of a demand feeling versus simply waiting for the process to actuate like a pure back tension. JMO. Good luck.
I didn’t know about these until I seen your post. Where did you get yours from? They seem to be in short supply. Would like to try one if anyone has one that they didn’t like.
Thanks
Clint
Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 AM

If you have target panic maybe one of these would work.
There’s one on an unnamed hilltop in 312 by the way...luckily I had a spare

http://www.winnarchery.com/
Old 11-01-2020, 10:44 AM

You are better off putting the time in to cure the target panic. There is lots of info on you tube, all you have to do is put in the time.

No matter what release you get you will end up hammering it anyway if you don't take mental charge of your shot. All the shortcuts in the world won't fix the problem.

Norm
Old 11-01-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
You are better off putting the time in to cure the target panic. There is lots of info on you tube, all you have to do is put in the time.

No matter what release you get you will end up hammering it anyway if you don't take mental charge of your shot. All the shortcuts in the world won't fix the problem.

Norm
This above

Target panic is all mental, switching releases is a band aide. It will rear its ugly head until you learn how to deal with it.

Even blank baling isn’t the answer... because you aren’t aiming, once you start actually aiming again... boom it’s back.

LC
Old 11-02-2020, 02:35 PM

Yes. TP is mental. It’s anxiety. And until you have had it and tried to deal with it, you don’t know how frustrating it can be. There are tools out there that help you break the timing sequence of punching your trigger while you either float or drive by your target. One of these tools is a tension activated release that allows you to properly build pressure with your back muscles to allow your release to fire. Follow John Dudley’s teachings on proper form and technique and this will go a long long ways to helping you cure TP.
There are very few people who can properly shoot a wrist strap trigger release. I feel that those that can...are some kinds of freaks of nature...special human beings if you will! Good luck to you!
Old 11-04-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitscottn View Post
I switched from a trufire strap to the Carter first choice (used).

My reason to move away from the wrist strap was a little plucking but mostly I was finding the anchor was inconsistent with the strap rotating slightly or pulling my wrist into tension and tweaking the works.

Put on/take off gloves was a pain and put another wrench into it all.

Took about 9 arrows to understand how the thumb barrel release feels and to smarten my groups up.

I found the difference in consistency was huge in favour of the thumb barrel and more comfortable to shoot.

First year using it for hunting, no deer within range but harvested a few grouse without too much worry. Just wearing light liner gloves and had my hands in my pocket to keep the fingers warm.

The one thing I dislike is the audible click when you connect it to the d-loop. It’s quite noticeable in the bush so I just leave it on a the second I start walking. Little cold to the touch last week lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said. My experience has been exactly the same. I have a Nock2it. My likes and dislikes for hunting are exactly the same. For spot and stalk I just preferred my wrist release, which I seem to shoot better with after spending a lot of time with the Nock2it. But for stands or blinds the Thumb release is great.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:50 PM

if your punching the trigger, its definitely TP. Take the time to get over it. I would recommend starting from scratch and buying a hinge release. it will help you focus on the execution your shot with back tension as well as your follow through (your shot process). Once you gain confidence in the hinge and understand how to execute a shot with proper back tension, you can apply those principles to any release aid

Buying a thumb release may help in the short term, but after a while you'll start smacking the trigger on that. (ask me how i know this )