Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 07:51 AM

Default Treestands

Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone is using for treestands for archery hunting whitetails? My big game treestands have to be the loudest thing on the planet when I shift my weight or move my feet.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-12-2020, 08:08 AM

I have 5 of the cheap big game tree stands. Had the same issue. What u do now is spray the stand with under coating to help with noise from items hitting it (all tree stands should have this in.my opinion). I used to use hockey tape but that took forever to install. Then I use a cheap ratchet strap to tighten the stand to the tree. I leave the strap on for extra security and it also takes away the squeeks when shifting in the stand. Haven't had an issue yet. I like the cheaper stands so I can leave them set up on private property year round. Bought all 5 for 80$ shipped each on Amazon . Can't beat that price.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Cold will cause many problems with metal stand.
Fewer moving parts the better.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:53 PM

I bought a tree saddle this year and will never look back. Game changer.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 PM

Lone wolf. Easy to set up. Stable and whisper quiet.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 PM

I just bought a Millennium M100U stand this year. Quiet, light, real easy to setup and the most comfortable treestand I have ever sat in. Game changer for all day sits. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_hunter View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering what everyone is using for treestands for archery hunting whitetails? My big game treestands have to be the loudest thing on the planet when I shift my weight or move my feet.

Thanks in advance
tape every part with hockey tape. it works. make sure its super tight when attached to the tree.

I have a Big Game and a Lonewolf. I don't leave my Lonewolf out on crown land. lol. If someone steals my Big Game not a huge deal.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
I got three of these and added additional ratchet straps to cinch them up real good...no noise issues at all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2020, 07:47 PM

I might have a lemon because I have 2 straps tight on my stand and if I shift my weight at all you can hear the stand popping. I am not a heavy guy either. Time to buy a higher quality stand.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:00 PM

The Hawk hang on’s are the quietest I’ve run. Solid no flex in the platform as well.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I might have a lemon because I have 2 straps tight on my stand and if I shift my weight at all you can hear the stand popping. I am not a heavy guy either. Time to buy a higher quality stand.
Dumb question but did you clear all the snow off your boots before stepping onto your stand. Hard snow on metal is super noisy
Old 11-14-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I put one by the seat area and each rung gets one for a total of four plus what was provided...the bottom of the stand is pushed into the earth too....when I shift around the only thing that moves a bit is the tree....I can stand up and turn around to look behind with no noise at all....gotta cinch them up snug....

Old 11-14-2020, 08:55 PM

Some brands of stands are just loud. Last few I’ve bought have been Muddy and Hawk, quite and sturdy.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:21 AM

I have a low quality ladder stand that was loud as hell too. I used plastic washers on all the bolt connections, I put a piece of marine/boat floor vinyl on the platform and connected with zap straps, I used a pool noodle to go on all the arm rests and safety bar then wrapped them in camo fabric. I picked up a foam hunting pad with back rest at princess auto. If it’s strapped properly to the tree, it hardly makes any noise anymore, with me standing and turning around. I weigh 210lbs. Picked it up for $100 at a garage sale. Put a few bucks into it (literally a few) and it’s handling the cold weather well.

I believe that not all problems need to be solved with spending lots of money... just being resourceful. We are outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen after all.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Suspended User

I've always been a ground hunter. This season someone set up a Big Game stand near where I hunt. Then haven't been back. So I tried it and am so glad I didn't buy one. Seat is too narrow to quietly turn. With the bar down I can't move my crossbow very well. So sticking to the blind and my tree impressions.

As for noise, make sure you tighten the bolts really good. The stand I tried had loose blots and the metal moved at the joints. Every time I scratched my nuts, it sounded like am old Ford door.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:13 PM

I had a buddy weld a support on the middle of the base on my stand. Quieted it down. Doesn't spook critters now.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
I bought a tree saddle this year and will never look back. Game changer.
x2
Old 11-20-2020, 09:11 PM

Following, always been a ground hunter, looking at getting in the air as well. Don’t mind spending a decent dollar if it’s good quality and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 09:27 PM

I've really enjoyed using Lone Wolf stands. Pricey, though. Also, not always easy to find around these parts.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttincircles View Post
Following, always been a ground hunter, looking at getting in the air as well. Don’t mind spending a decent dollar if it’s good quality and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got two big game stands that are 10 and 11 years old...still strapped to the same trees....cheap one last two and like I said earlier one ratchet strap per section really tight minimizes any movement/noise....plus another thing I did was the two bottom legs are stuck into the earth...loose a foot of height maybe but man are they secure and noiseless.