Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Making a Long Bow

Hey!
Attempting to make my first Long Bow. I have been watching lots of videos and reading diy articles.
I cut a large Saskatoon, 3-4” diameter bottom to 2-3” top at 76”. I removed bark and split, leaving me a straight back and rounded belly. I cleaned out the knots, and have a surprisingly straight grained stave, about 1-2” thick. I Wrapped ends with cello and clamped it between 2 straight boards and will let dry.
Now I think I should have just sealed the ends and left bark on, is it futile to continue with this piece, should I start again?
Any and all opinions welcome!
Old 09-30-2020, 11:36 AM

I've been dabbling for a few years. So a hack at best. But if you have a straight piece of saskatoon, I'm jealous!
I figure your good. You could also clamp it recieved a bit, all my bows take a little set. I would also get a couple other staves going, its proubably not going to be that your first one is perfect.
You will break a couple, especially useing saskatoon. I have a couple saskatoon staves but nothing my current skill set can work with.
Good luck.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks BSmitty. I will get cutting some more, I have quite a bit of Elm and Maple in the yard as well I might try out.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM

I also plan to try my luck at my first bow build this winter. My plan is to build a wood laminated flat bow from lumber not a staff. Unfortunately there is poor choices of hardwood locally so will have to wait till I go to Edmonton next

Good luck on your build and post pics when you’re done
Old 09-30-2020, 09:47 PM

I believe that saskatoon (service berry) is one of the best bow wood we have on the prairies. Elm can be good but apariently hard to split. Ive never tried, but you got me looking at the neighoours Elm trees! The Manitoba maple (box elder) we have is not great. I need to find some straight saskatoon trees!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 PM

I am also going to try a flat build Smokey as it will take a few months for drying. Windsor plywood says it has Osage sometimes. BSmitty if you are ever NW of Cowtown you are more then welcome to knock a couple Saskatoon limbs down at my farm. The shelter belt ones are 20+ feet now.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Saskatoon works, it often twists as it dries but it’s “hell fer stout” I made one and it shoots ok, but I should make another and do a better job. Seal the ends, leave the bark on and season in the rafters of your garage for awhile. Cutting in the winter probably makes sense and the sap is mostly down then. The natives didn’t have the luxury of seasoning for a long time, they Probably made them green and worked them as they dried. Be aware that the weight will change quickly as you whittle so they go from stout to wimpy pretty fast.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:39 PM

You can use red osier dogwood or rose bushes for arrows if you want to really go primitive.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 PM

Thanks Chef! I will try that. Do you seal the ends with just wood glue? When you say leave the bark on, do you mean just for seasoning, or for the actual backing of the finished bow?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
I am also going to try a flat build Smokey as it will take a few months for drying. Windsor plywood says it has Osage sometimes. BSmitty if you are ever NW of Cowtown you are more then welcome to knock a couple Saskatoon limbs down at my farm. The shelter belt ones are 20+ feet now.
There seems to be a good number of places that sell good hardwood options. Been doing a lot of reading on different bow wood combos. I am keeping my opinions open and plan to go with what I can find with the best possible grain. So far all I know is the backing will be hickory or hard maple and will try to match the best possible core wood I can find

Since I already use smooth on products for making fishing lures locating a good laminating glue is no issue

Will likely pick up supplies for two bows just in case I blow one up lol
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34 AM

I see log end sealer from lee valley tools, glue or paint would work but I somehow thing the lee valley one penetrates better. The bark came off easily when I started working the stave but I’ve been told not to touch the back of the bow with that kind of wood.

I was lucky to take a course from John Strunk on bowbuilding, he’s an expert on wood bow building. In Alberta we have our Beverly own Bert Frelink of Quarter Moon longbows. I’d pick his brain and maybe hire him for a day of whittling, you’d be so much further ahead. Bert could teach you in a day what would take years to learn.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Stripping the bark is a good move.

Yes, seal the ends on green wood.

Nothing fancy (specialty products) is needed, just use a heat gun and melt in any wax you have on hand.

We do have a better native tree option for bows that no one seems to remember or know about. Much better than Saskatoon.
Western Mountain Ash.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-09-2020, 03:22 PM

Picked up my wood for my winter bow project. I will be attempting a bubinga flat bow backed with hickory

I have enough wood to blow up one or two bows trying even
Old 10-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Stripping the bark is a good move.

Yes, seal the ends on green wood.

Nothing fancy (specialty products) is needed, just use a heat gun and melt in any wax you have on hand.

We do have a better native tree option for bows that no one seems to remember or know about. Much better than Saskatoon.
Western Mountain Ash.
I’ve seen some wild mountain ash lately, and although I haven’t harvested any I’m dubious about the utility of that wood. Maybe I should cut a stave and test it, it might be better than it looks.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:58 PM

Hmm...I’ve got a several long, very straight mountain ash trees about 4 inches wide. Might have to go take a closer look at them sometime. Never thought they could be useful. Mostly just attract birds that **** orange on everything
Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 PM

I think the Cree and Blackfoot sometimes used our native Green Ash for bows. The latin name is Fraxus Pennsylvanica .

Our native mountain ash is from a different family and not a true ash and is called Mountain Ash (Rowan) the latin name is
Sorbus aucuparia . I know some sources say it is ok for bows but I am doubtful ... hey I could be wrong