Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Default 2020 Ice thickness thread

A few kind of type threads going but hard to search and no real interest.
Thought I’d start a proper log!

October 13th Northeastern AB near FMM
6 3/4“ at shore
4” ~200’ from shore
Progressively thinner further out.

Here we go!!!!
Old 11-13-2020, 11:00 PM

Took a drive to check ice growth at a few lakes,, first lake I checked had 90% coverage and 10% open at shore on one side. So I nixed going to look at other lakes and had a great day fishing. After, 3 hours the lake was about 60% frozen and 40% open with very little wind it sun and it was minus 2. Chances are it will be completely open by next Saturday considering the wind we're sposed to get and zero plus temps. I'm sure there must be a few frozen ponds about but I would consider them sketchy first ice.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:10 AM

Stay safe early this season everyone.

Been to a few pothole lakes near Edmonton, all around 3-4” of decent ice.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:03 PM

Lillian Lake near Kananaskis

About 6” of soft ice under about 6” of slush and 4” of snow on top
This is the first time I have been so it might change often

Slept overnight at -10c

Hauled up some firewood
And enjoyed it

Oh and caught a couple 10-13 “ cutthroat in less than an hour
Old 11-15-2020, 06:38 PM

Consistent 3-4” in the Barrhead area today with a skiff of snow, slow fishing though.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbot Sherbet View Post
Consistent 3-4” in the Barrhead area today with a skiff of snow, slow fishing though.
Nice! Thanks for the report. I'm going to head out either this weekend or the next. Just where yet...
Old 11-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehaul View Post
Lillian Lake near Kananaskis

About 6” of soft ice under about 6” of slush and 4” of snow on top
This is the first time I have been so it might change often

Slept overnight at -10c

Hauled up some firewood
And enjoyed it

Oh and caught a couple 10-13 “ cutthroat in less than an hour
That sounds like it would be a fun trip.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:36 PM

Saw some pics from Eagle Lake by Strathmore with about a half dozen tents out this past weekend. I'm shocked it would be thick enough yet. Anyone from this messageboard been out there yet? I don't walk on until I've got 6" consistent, so I'm curious about Eagle....

And Aaron Wiebe might be ballsy to the point of dangerous, but he's no idiot, that's for sure. He teaches ice safety and has purposely put himself through the ice many times to teach others how to deal with it. Unnecessarily dangerous in order to get on some first-ice Crappies? Absolutely. But if anyone can handle it, it's him. Dude is a brilliant angler and extremely experienced on thin ice...
Old 11-17-2020, 08:11 AM

Default Pigeon Lake - Mulhurst Bay

At Mulhurst, it's a good 4 inches thick off the ramp for about 200-300 feet straight out. I saw a couple big tents out there Sunday.

JB
Old 11-17-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Lac la biche

Was 4 inches on Lac la biche on nov 15th about 200yrds off shore and 10ft of water . Managed a few small pike and my pal got one small fat walleye.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Poked a few holes in Blood Indian yesterday.

4 - 6" of ice (I stayed close to shore, 5 fow max)

I saw one trout all day that rejected my offering.

Other than that the only thing out there was a lonely muley and a couple cows on the ice looking for water lol.

I had the aqua-vu down the whole day, didn't see any carp...

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 01:40 PM

I saw folks on burnstick and birch last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 02:28 PM

I got out on Pigeon today at Mulhurst. Got to about 100 yds from shore and set up. Where I was fishing it was 4-5 “ thick. Ice at shore was about 8 and it ranged from 4-6 all the way out. I was doing ok till 2 of the spots where I put pins in the ice caused cracks when the wind picked up and the inside of the tent was starting to fill with flood water so I called it quits. There is the usual ice heave right at the launch and it was cracking as I was packing up. Be safe everyone if you venture out on any lake and good luck.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I got out on Pigeon today at Mulhurst. Got to about 100 yds from shore and set up. Where I was fishing it was 4-5 “ thick. Ice at shore was about 8 and it ranged from 4-6 all the way out. I was doing ok till 2 of the spots where I put pins in the ice caused cracks when the wind picked up and the inside of the tent was starting to fill with flood water so I called it quits. There is the usual ice heave right at the launch and it was cracking as I was packing up. Be safe everyone if you venture out on any lake and good luck.
Seen ya out there at about 1, the heave was lookin pretty nasty. How deep was it where you were? I’m assuming 5-7fow?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Seen ya out there at about 1, the heave was lookin pretty nasty. How deep was it where you were? I’m assuming 5-7fow?
You guessed exactly!In the tent was 7 and where my jawjacker was located it was 5.Lol I was just itching to get out and normally i wouldnt fish that depth but I have seen people set up there when the ice is good and they must be catching.Next outing will be with the quad out at Silver Beach when we get some more ice.Be safe if ya head out.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
You guessed exactly!In the tent was 7 and where my jawjacker was located it was 5.Lol I was just itching to get out and normally i wouldnt fish that depth but I have seen people set up there when the ice is good and they must be catching.Next outing will be with the quad out at Silver Beach when we get some more ice.Be safe if ya head out.
Used to fish that spot when I was a kid for whites, haven’t been out there for a long time, just moved back to the area so I’m go a try to figure that lake out again.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:32 PM

Skeleton lake today. Up by Boyle.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Skeleton lake today. Up by Boyle.

Wth were they thinking, little soon for vehical's.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:19 PM

Gonna start ice fishing this year. I think I'll be real into it. Anyone have any tips for me. Was advised to go to spray lakes. How do you check if the ice is thick enough? How thick does the ice need to be? What gear should I get? Was thinking about a hand auger, maybe with a drill attachment. Can you have a fire when you're out there?

Sorry if this hijacks the post

You guys can PM me if you want?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Gonna start ice fishing this year. I think I'll be real into it. Anyone have any tips for me. Was advised to go to spray lakes. How do you check if the ice is thick enough? How thick does the ice need to be? What gear should I get? Was thinking about a hand auger, maybe with a drill attachment. Can you have a fire when you're out there?

Keep drilling holes in the ice every so often as you walk out. I don’t fish on anything less than 4” myself. Just start off with a hand crank auger. Later in the year get a powered auger when the ice is thicker. Keep the hand crank as a back up incase your powered auger piles up.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Keep drilling holes in the ice every so often as you walk out. I don’t fish on anything less than 4” myself. Just start off with a hand crank auger. Later in the year get a powered auger when the ice is thicker. Keep the hand crank as a back up incase your powered auger piles up.
Thanks. That will get me off to a great start. I'll keep you posted on how it goes
Old 11-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post

Where you located. Welcome to join when I get going. I usually wait till mid December and walk on. I drive in January when I got about 14 inches of ice. Electric strikemaster is your ticket for an auger and a tent is a must if the weather turns. Follow already made paths on the ice is a good habit
Old 11-22-2020, 09:47 PM

Be extra careful with the ice this year, especially early on. Early ice has been all over the place with the weather this Fall. I scouted a local trout lake on Friday, confirming a safe path out to where I wanted to fish with my trusty spud bar. 18 hours later on Saturday morning I was the first one on the ice in the dark following my trail. As I walked with my headlamp on, I noticed an odd "spot" that looked like an old hole in my path. I hit it with the spud bar and it went through in one hit. Then the ice started creaking... Fortunately, I was able to get the smitty sled turned on a dime and retreated to a different spot without doing a polar bear swim. These people out half a mile from shore to shoot YouTube videos recently really make me cringe. This lake had 3" of clear ice on it a month ago, and 1" of cloudy ice on Rememberance Day. With the forecasted weather for this week, I'll probably have to check it out again before going out in the dark next weekend. Stay safe.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:50 PM

Any news on Newell or crawling? Was thinking about making a trip out tomorrow to test out the new flasher!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 07:28 PM

Anyone out at wabamun in the last couple days? Headed out early for a few hours. Any update would be appreciated! Thanks guys.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsleykhan View Post
Any news on Newell or crawling? Was thinking about making a trip out tomorrow to test out the new flasher!

Couple posts up from yours. There is a report. 8 inches in shallow bays.

Post an update when you get back from fishing, if you don’t mind.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Couple posts up from yours. There is a report. 8 inches in shallow bays.

Post an update when you get back from fishing, if you don’t mind.
Oh missed those thanks! Will do!

Old 11-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Well I'm out on Pigeon right now. Straight out from the launch. Have seen fish on camera at 8fow, nothing at 12 and so far nothing at 22 fow. Tons of forage but no fish on the ice. Tons of ice. Funny enough, ice is thicker at 22fow than it is at 8fow. I'm about 12 or 13" of ice at 23fow. Slow day tho....
Old 11-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Should also mention we're the only people on the lake. Absolutely no one anywhere....
Old 11-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Well I'm out on Pigeon right now. Straight out from the launch. Have seen fish on camera at 8fow, nothing at 12 and so far nothing at 22 fow. Tons of forage but no fish on the ice. Tons of ice. Funny enough, ice is thicker at 22fow than it is at 8fow. I'm about 12 or 13" of ice at 23fow. Slow day tho....
were you at the provincial park