Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Shift Change

I'm not exactly sure what caused it, whether it's the moon phase, the photo period, or maybe just the sales events, but it seems I've shifted my obsession from fishing to hunting.

I'm already thinking about winterizing the boat, after a few months of sitting dormant I've knocked the dust off the bows and took a few shots to make sure all is still dialled in.

With archery season just over a week away, I feel the excitement building. Anyone else feel the shift change?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Yeah...about a month ago...can't wait!
Old 08-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Yes sir,

About mid August it happens on the way to work in the morning. One beautiful morning that reminds me of the first morning out hunting. A little chill in the air maybe. Some dew on the grass. Crisp vision. The urge to be heading out for a stroll in The woods with bow in hand, instead of the job site.

Lol. Then every morning after that.

Went to Jimbows on Thursday. Haven't stopped thinking about archery since I left.

I guess it's good to be busy with some of the not as desirable aspects of life because when things like hunting come back around they are just soooooo much better.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Not a bow hunter yet but the first few cool nights get me thinking backwoods moose camp in the wall tent. Have to go clear trails, cut grass at the site, set it up etc. But this year I pulled a long Priority Elk draw for outside the base. So I did not try for a moose tag. No moose camp, no wall tent. Just waiting for mid Nov for the elk draw to kick in. Feel excited due to the cool nights and deflated at the same time knowing it's only deer tags until the elk draw begins.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 PM

With it being +5c here yesterday I have been getting the itch. Bought all my tags and treated myself to some new rage hypodermics . Going on Tuesday after work to poke around in 416 for some moose.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 PM

I can honestly say that the obsession runs from about Sept 1 to Aug 31 of the following year, lol. I don't think a day goes by I don't think about hunting a few times, especially with the bow!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I can honestly say that the obsession runs from about Sept 1 to Aug 31 of the following year, lol. I don't think a day goes by I don't think about hunting a few times, especially with the bow!
Definitely this right here ^^^
But the cool air in the early morning sure makes it feel closer to the season.
Can't wait!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Doing the "Go big or go home" thing this year. The anticipation is consuming myself and two of my finest friends as we prepare for a northern Ab moose hunt.
This is an area only one of us have been to only for work purposes. 10 days at the end of September, 3 tags and the possibility of running into a bison. Couple that with the 80 km quad ride in to proposed camp and we have the makings of an adventure! Taking only my 30-30. There shouldn't be any call shy moose up there! Have air support arranged to extract game back to civilization needed. Yup, this will be quite the shift change for this lowly construction worker.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Doing the "Go big or go home" thing this year. The anticipation is consuming myself and two of my finest friends as we prepare for a northern Ab moose hunt.
This is an area only one of us have been to only for work purposes. 10 days at the end of September, 3 tags and the possibility of running into a bison. Couple that with the 80 km quad ride in to proposed camp and we have the makings of an adventure! Taking only my 30-30. There shouldn't be any call shy moose up there! Have air support arranged to extract game back to civilization needed. Yup, this will be quite the shift change for this lowly construction worker.
That sounds like it would be a successful trip whether or not you guys fill your tags. Good luck, I hope you guess get blessed with full freezers.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 PM

I've almost retired fishing. A little ice fishing .. a few casts open water and I'm good. Back to everything bowhunting.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I've almost retired fishing. A little ice fishing .. a few casts open water and I'm good. Back to everything bowhunting.
You got that bowhunting thing bad hey!

Time for Alberta Bigbore to change to Alberta Bigbow lol!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Banned

I think it started for me about 3 weeks ago?
Having a coffee on the deck one fine cool morning,and it just felt and smelt like fall in the air....like damp rotting leaves maybe?Regardless,it felt like a nice morn to be chasing elk or moose late September.....then the Bow R. closures took effect a few days later,and that sealed it!!
Packed away the pontoons,cleaned the truck out of waders,flyrods,and assorted gear...been in full on hunt mode ever since,cleaning guns,taking inventory of gear,buying new gear and countless hours on the web researching new gear,Google earth maps,on and on...
Stoked for Sept.14.....3 more weeks of the ol'grind,then I'm planning to take pretty much the entire fall off,or at least as very little work as I can get away with til Nov.30th.Been a good many years since I've been able to do that,and I've decided I don't live to work,I work to live.Time to get back to getting my priorities straight....gas in my truck,ammo,camo,and things that go Blammo!!
The rest of the shat will still be there when huntn season is over.Ive never heard of anybody lying in their death bed say they wish they had worked more and hunted less?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You got that bowhunting thing bad hey!

Time for Alberta Bigbore to change to Alberta Bigbow lol!!!
I haven't fired a rifle in a year now
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM

I bounce from fishing to hunting big game all year round, but shotguning never goes on the back burner!
Cat
Old 08-24-2015, 07:34 AM

Bought all my tags and my waterfowl lisc. On Sat .
Not needing a heavy frost around here , but the cooler weather was welcome. Starting to feel and smell like fall. Been shooting the bow every evening and some mornings . I have 6 more combine check overs , then my schedule opens up. Although I do have a few big jobs lined up after the combines are rolling , I can do these on my schedule. Hope to close the distance on another elk.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Didn't get much fishing in this year but Hunting has always been my biggest passion.
I did go down south to start scouting a month ago but that trip didn't turn out as planned. My half ton is still down there it sounds like the transmission is pooched. On a positive note I bought my first 3/4 ton a 2012 Chev with 7000kms on it for 30K! It was a lease return from Syncrude.
So this week I am hauling my hunting shed out to its where it sits for the season. I need to get it off my carhauler so that when I go down south Sept 14 to bowhunt/scout for mule deer I can haul my old truck home.
So this week I am going to get my camp set up and sit a couple nights in the whitetail stand with my spotting scope so I can see whats hanging around this year. There was also a really large boar hanging around my area I.'m hoping it put on some more weight then last year.
So now my focus is on getting everything set up and then start hunting.
It is truly the most wonderful time of the year!!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Yesterday was a get out of town and visit the landowners day, and a bit of a look around. Had a great day, turned out to be perfect timing as farmers are in the "hurry up and wait for it to dry out" mode in that area. Made them pretty easy to locate. Dog was torqued at me , couldn't figure why we were there without guns, and not shooting birds, I got a few dirty looks from him.
Lots of good stories and a lot of coffee from the farmers.
I've been in that mood now for a few weeks, somewhere around the 1st of Aug is when it begins.