Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Default The bow in Calgary

Hey all

Going to be staying in Calgary for a few days and want to fly fish the bow for the first time!! Just wondering were would be a decent spot to try in the areas that are open? Is fish creek park any good or is crowded like crazy? Any spots west of the city that would be worth a try? Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl Ant View Post
Hey all

Going to be staying in Calgary for a few days and want to fly fish the bow for the first time!! Just wondering were would be a decent spot to try in the areas that are open? Is fish creek park any good or is crowded like crazy? Any spots west of the city that would be worth a try? Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers
When will you be here?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM

End of may beginning of june
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

Fish creek is good...if it's not fully flooded and dirtied out at that time.....which means....very very tuff fish conditions.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Policeman's Flat is a good starting point as well. I suspect the river is going to be high and dirty in a week though, with the amount of rain that is possible over the next few days.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Policeman's Flat is a good starting point as well. I suspect the river is going to be high and dirty in a week though, with the amount of rain that is possible over the next few days.
Yeup....here comes da floodin conditions....gosh darnit
Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl Ant View Post
Hey all

Cheers
The Fish Creek section of Bow is pretty decent with several kms. of nice "fishy" waters to choose from.It's a little more crowded then SE of the city limits,but I wouldn't call it "crazy crowded"....there's enough good water that you can always find some solitude or share the larger runs and pools with other anglers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Yeup....here comes da floodin conditions....gosh darnit
X3!!
Unfortunately your timing sucks.The river is blown out this morn due to all this rain,raging chocolate milk from bank to bank.You "might" get lucky(extremely lucky?) and have it clear up enough next week to stand a chance at catching something next weekend in what will still be challenging conditions,but I wouldn't count on it.I suspect it will remain high and dirty runoff conditions now for the next month or so?