Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 09:04 AM

Default F150 Park Brake Warning

I have a 2018 F150. The other day I randomly got a warning on my dash that said, Park brake limited function service required park brake.

It happened a couple months ago when I hit some train tracks hard. Turned the truck off and on and it was good. I can’t seem to get it to go away. Read it might be a battery starting to die so I replaced the battery (I needed a new one anyways). Checked any fuses that had to do with the brakes. Left the negative terminal off to try and reset the computer. Nothing worked. I’ll book it into a shop but thought maybe somebody else had it happen and it would be an easy fix. The most annoying part is I can’t use my cruise control when the warning light is on.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:27 AM

Does your park brake in fact work. IF the lever that is located near the brake does not have full travel you will get the warning light. These get sticky if not lubed regularly and especially if you don't use it a lot. What usually happens is they don't fully release and causes the brakes to drag and stay partly on. If there is any sag in your park brake cable you know for sure something is out of adjustment. Many guys see their cable hanging down and just ignore it, hard on the park brake shoes and not good for gas mileage wither. Our road salt is hard on these kinds of parts.

Being yours is a 2018 it may have the electronic brake, depending on trim level.

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...evice-mode.pdf

Last edited by Dean2; 02-25-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM

Electronic park brake, have to scan for code and check wiring. Probably a rock damaged wire, possibly actuator. Find a shop that has proper scan tool to deal with it, has functions needed to clear code, initialize system.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Does your park brake in fact work. IF the lever that is located near the brake does not have full travel you will get the warning light. These get sticky if not lubed regularly and especially if you don't use it a lot. What usually happens is they don't fully release and causes the brakes to drag and stay partly on. If there is any sag in your park brake cable you know for sure something is out of adjustment. Many guys see their cable hanging down and just ignore it, hard on the park brake shoes and not good for gas mileage wither. Our road salt is hard on these kinds of parts.

Being yours is a 2018 it may have the electronic brake, depending on trim level.

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...evice-mode.pdf
It’s the electronic brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Electronic park brake, have to scan for code and check wiring. Probably a rock damaged wire, possibly actuator. Find a shop that has proper scan tool to deal with it, has functions needed to clear code, initialize system.
I’ll book it into a shop this week. Need it for work so it’s a PITA. Guess I need to dust off the old ‘09 GM I have sitting in the garage for a couple days
Old 02-25-2024, 10:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOs3RqTCDs

Great video, easy to follow. Tried to add to first post but edit time ran out.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:23 PM

It is most likely a damaged wire at one of the rear motors. It could be corrosion inside the connector, I have repaired a few for this. Hopefully the shop you go to does a straight up honest repair to a relatively simple fault.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:38 PM

I got to doing some reading on the Ford electronic park brake because of this thread. It is well worth reading all the things you can do with them. The level of function and sophistication in that system is truly impressive. I haven't owned a Ford recently so the evolution in some of their systems was a surprise. They are far more sophisticated in many areas than the Ram 1500s.

http://ford.car-owners-manual.com/f-...t-replacement/

Last edited by Dean2; 02-25-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4u View Post
It is most likely a damaged wire at one of the rear motors. It could be corrosion inside the connector, I have repaired a few for this. Hopefully the shop you go to does a straight up honest repair to a relatively simple fault.

I have had to repair this on our Edge. Easy fix if that’s the case.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4u View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have a pretty good shop I trust. I’ll drop it there this week.