Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Re-Instating Bowfishing of Game Species

A question on another thread raises a good point.

Development:

On some bodies of water the length limit has been removed for game fish (ie. Pike)

Brief:

In the mid 90's when it became clear that a new management regime was required for game fish in Alberta. As a result Fish & Wildlife introduced length limits on fish and removed bowfishing opportunities since there was no way to measure a fish before harvesting it with archery tackle.

Summary:

As the fishing has evolved in Alberta, it has now become clear that length limits are impractical in some bodies of waters. I would like to propose, that in these cases that bow fishing of the game species that have no length limit be permitted to resume.

Anyway, there's a thought. Let's debate this and see what develops.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM

I always wanted to try my luck bowfishing. I would love to see them open it up again.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM

i did it for suckers and it was a blast.... would love to do it again so will the arse who walked into my garage and helped them selves to my bow fishing rig please return it.........
Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 PM

To sight up pike for bowfishing it is in the spring, in the shallows, and most pike you will be shooting are the egg laden hens. The hens at this time get enough pressure from anglers as it is, hence the elimination of bowfishing for pike, pretty tough to release them... I usually wouldn't support the elimination of a hunting/bowfishing opportunity but with pike it made sense to me.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Longdraw,

As I understand it the reason for withdrawing the length limit on some water bodies was to increase the harvest. So therefore, if the goal is population reduction then removal of the females is a desirable option and if it happens to be via bow fishing why not?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Which lakes have removed the size restriction on Pike?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM

Some of the trout stock reservoirs end up with pike in them. Coronation Dam for instance being one of them. So they've removed the length limit to try and get rid of the pike.