Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Barrel length vs bullet drop

So I was out sighting in a few rifles with my hunting partner yesterday and I am running a 26" barrel this year compared to last year with a 24". I zeroed at 100 and noticed at 300 yards my bullets are hitting higher than they did with the 24" it was about 1 moa higher at 300. Wondering if there is a consistentcy of bullet drop at long range say 300-1000yards in comparison between different barrel length.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM

The longer barrel is likely giving you a higher resultant velocity.
The higher velocity reduces the time of flight of your bullets, therefore there’s less time for gravity to have its effects upon those bullets. This equals less drop at extended ranges.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
So I was out sighting in a few rifles with my hunting partner yesterday and I am running a 26" barrel this year compared to last year with a 24". I zeroed at 100 and noticed at 300 yards my bullets are hitting higher than they did with the 24" it was about 1 moa higher at 300. Wondering if there is a consistentcy of bullet drop at long range say 300-1000yards in comparison between different barrel length.
All else being equal, your velocities will be higher with the longer barrel.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Barrel length is only one of the factors in determining muzzle velocity. Chamber dimensions and throat length will all change your velocity. Changing your barrel will change all of these. Find a chronograph if you want to learn your exact speed. I have a 20" barrel that gets the exact same speeds as some other 22" barrels.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 PM

If you use more powder in otherwise exactly the same cartridge, you can get higher velocities and POI with a shorter barrel too. It depends on a lot of factors.

A Chrony should be on every shooters' list of 'must have' equipment; and always measuring at the same distance from the muzzle, say 10 or 15 feet for example. That will give you the true story of what's going on. It can explain a lot of things you see, when you change one thing or another with your gear.