Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Clearing trails

About opening up old cutlines on your trapline, did the SRD allow you to use a Crawler or mulcher to clear the line? Sounds like they prefere a guy cuts trail with a chainsaw. They want us to trap, but don't give the go ahead to use equipment to make it accessable. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
About opening up old cutlines on your trapline, did the SRD allow you to use a Crawler or mulcher to clear the line? Sounds like they prefere a guy cuts trail with a chainsaw. They want us to trap, but don't give the go ahead to use equipment to make it accessable. Any ideas?
Using a cat or mulcher would make a darn nice trail for the trapper AND every weekend warrior. I don't think I would want a nice open trail on the trapline because too much disturbance drives the fur away.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Our line is so remote it has not seen any traffic other than trapping related.
There is 20 plus miles of tundra and muskeg to the cabin, so that stops any summer times activities.
Would't mind a couple weekend worriors, help keep the vegatation down.
I can imagine down south it would be a diff story.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 PM

There's a trapper from Grande Cache who got himself a pretty hefty fine for using a cat to clear some trail. I hand cut my trails as I don't have access to much more than a chainsaw and ax without hiring someone. Plus I don't want wide open trails, I like my trapline privacy.

I built some pretty neat by-passes this season around some real bad spots on the river. I strapped on the snowshoes and walked some decent grades to get up on top of a ridge line and then walked it back down to the river a couple miles away. The packed snowshoe trail made it easy to follow with snowmobile on my next trip with just a bit of cutting.

You're talking a whole different game though Jim with miles and miles of boreal and muskeg. Trapped that too and there's nothing better than an old style seismic line to follow eh? Keep clearing that trail it'll keep you young.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
There's a trapper from Grande Cache who got himself a pretty hefty fine for using a cat to clear some trail. I hand cut my trails as I don't have access to much more than a chainsaw and ax without hiring someone. Plus I don't want wide open trails, I like my trapline privacy.

I built some pretty neat by-passes this season around some real bad spots on the river. I strapped on the snowshoes and walked some decent grades to get up on top of a ridge line and then walked it back down to the river a couple miles away. The packed snowshoe trail made it easy to follow with snowmobile on my next trip with just a bit of cutting.

You're talking a whole different game though Jim with miles and miles of boreal and muskeg. Trapped that too and there's nothing better than an old style seismic line to follow eh? Keep clearing that trail it'll keep you young.
I agree with the fact that hand cutting your trails will keep you in shape. That's one thing when running a trapline....hard work, but the rewards is enjoying life in the woods. Nothing better!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM

having a crew helps too!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

:character0175 :
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I agree with the fact that hand cutting your trails will keep you in shape. That's one thing when running a trapline....hard work, but the rewards is enjoying life in the woods. Nothing better!

x2