Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Coyote harvest strategy

Looking for some experienced opinion. On my coyote line I seem to take from 6-12 coyotes from one location rather quickly. This is in about a two week period of time roughly. After this initial quick harvest I was thinking I should pull my snares and traps and move on down the road to the next spot. Mostly because that initial hit takes out most locals and maybe some dispersing animals and my catch rate in that area greatly drops off after this period. I can stay in the area and scrape out a few more but it's slow going. What do you think?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM

I've only snared, so its a bit different than your situation. Traps need to be checked daily, snares do not.....so I always left my snares but continued to add new baits as the season wore on. And after 2-4 weeks other coyotes moved into the areas that I had thinned out, so it was worth leaving the snares.

But the quick answer to your question, is yes, move on to keep up a higher catch ratio.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM

For clarification I'm running 80% snares to 20% traps.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Smile How large an area does one family of coyotes cover?

I think that you are doing us all a service. Do you know how much of an area one pack occupies?

Do I need a licence to snare on my own land? Is it hard to learn this method, I shoot what ever comes with in range but I'm not devoted to it and I don't think that it is as efficient as your methods.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM

You need a license to snare or trap. Seems to be a family unit for every 2-4 square miles here in southern Alberta.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM

densa, you do need a licence to snare on your own land but like you said, its the way to go. Snares are working 24/7.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Totally agree bushmaster but they can be a pain in this 8 degree weather. Especially on a 200 km line. How are you managing in this warm weather?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM

I'm actually not snaring this winter.....

But it certainly would be tough in these conditions.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM

I got a coyote yesterday that had his gums, mouth and lips covered in white wart looking growths. Have any of you guys ever seen this? When I first seen it I thought it was quills but its not.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I got a coyote yesterday that had his gums, mouth and lips covered in white wart looking growths. Have any of you guys ever seen this? When I first seen it I thought it was quills but its not.
Shot one like that a few years back, I think this is what is was, this is from
SRD'a site.

PDF]
WDmammal tumours.p65www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/.../Skin_tumors_mammals.pdfYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
occur in males and on the face, neck, and chest. In coyotes and wolves, the warts occur in the mouth and on the lips. This suggests transfer by biting one another ...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Looking for some experienced opinion. On my coyote line I seem to take from 6-12 coyotes from one location rather quickly. This is in about a two week period of time roughly. After this initial quick harvest I was thinking I should pull my snares and traps and move on down the road to the next spot. Mostly because that initial hit takes out most locals and maybe some dispersing animals and my catch rate in that area greatly drops off after this period. I can stay in the area and scrape out a few more but it's slow going. What do you think?

Reddog,

If your line is big enough and you can set out 10 bait stations then with a 10 coyote avg, you are going to get around 100 dogs.
Your idea of pulling and moving on, should work but is alot of work on your part.
I know that 10 bait station takes a lot of bait. We have five bait station on our line with two being the main producers. Two are just new this year and one was started last year. I have found on our line it takes a year or so before a bait station really starts to produce. The problem we had this winter is the ravens eating the bait and the lack of snow the coyotes are going anywhere they want. The bait was just not freezing. The ravens also got to at least 8 - 10 dogs on us.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what you do and if it works for you.

Thunder
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I had the same thing this year with the first dog of the season. I looked all over trying to find out what it was but couldn't find the answer. Its good to know these things since there are some diseases out there that are transferabe to humans if your not careful!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Thanks Benelli, it does sound like it. Rumor has it that the hutts have snared over a 100 coyotes around our area in Dec. I've shot 8 in the last 4 days and theres at least 5 more in our pasture. I was wondering if it was caused from being too many coyotes.
Settting snares , traps and shooting your getting the dumb ones first it doesn't take long for coyotes too learn. The 5 in the pasture will just turn around and leave at the sound of a call.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 PM

I know what ya mean trapper. I skinned this thing and didn't pay much attenion until I got to the lips, now I'm a little hestitant to strech it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I know what ya mean trapper. I skinned this thing and didn't pay much attenion until I got to the lips, now I'm a little hestitant to strech it.
Here is the link to the whole article on SRD's site, doesn't look like its
infectious to humans......

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildli...rs_mammals.pdf
Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 PM

I wear surgical gloves when skinning coyotes and when I came across the warts I just scraped them off and stretched it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I shot one like this a few years ago. Grossed me out and I didn't end up skinning it. My old man asked the BC provincial wildlife vet about it and she said that it's nothing to worry about, it can't bother humans. She did say that domestic dogs can get it though. If your dog gets the cysts, you're just supposed to scrape one of them with a knife until it bleeds a bit, and then apparently it'll clear itself up after that. Not sure exactly what the process is there, but I'm not going to argue with it.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Check out 5911Ryan channel on YouTube. He ran 20ish bait piles and took over 200 yotes before Xmas. Real good channel and he skins a dog in under 4 min! Check it out!