Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 09:45 AM

Default recommendation on waders

Looking to get in to my first pair of waders for the summer and was wonder what people recommend? I don't want to break the bank but also don't want to spend my money twice on a bad pair of waders.

Last edited by roper1; 03-07-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:58 AM

Depending on where you are fishing {I fish the Old Man, Dutch/Race Horse creeks and the Livingston) I would suggest waist high breathable waders. Got mine at Bass Pro. Very happy with them. Good luck and tight lines!
Old 03-07-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Depending on where you are fishing {I fish the Old Man, Dutch/Race Horse creeks and the Livingston) I would suggest waist high breathable waders. Got mine at Bass Pro. Very happy with them. Good luck and tight lines!
That would be my area also with the bow river but yet I think a breathable wader for sure!
Old 03-08-2024, 08:27 AM

I used to fish the livingstone a lot and after a few years I switched to just some cheapy hip waders. Seemed like for the stretch we fished anyway, you could walk up or down from the pools and find a place to cross and not get wet. Got almost heat stroke a few times down there in chest waders. Probably watch can tire and you can get some for $50.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
I used to fish the livingstone a lot and after a few years I switched to just some cheapy hip waders. Seemed like for the stretch we fished anyway, you could walk up or down from the pools and find a place to cross and not get wet. Got almost heat stroke a few times down there in chest waders. Probably watch can tire and you can get some for $50.
If it’s that warm why not wet wade? Cold to stand for long but not for crossing maybe?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-08-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I'll second Zabbo's recommendation for Bass Pro breathable pant waders. I've been using them for wade fishing the same rivers for the last 5 years. I originally started using them for the warmer months, but now use them for all my wade fishing. I also use them when stillwater fishing on my frameless pontoon boat.

My second choice would be Kylebooker breathable pant waders. I know a couple of guys who have had good luck with them for both wading and stillwater fishing.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:23 PM

Default Frogg Toggs

Have a pair of Frogg Toggs HellBender 2 Guide Pants. Few season on them now and no issues. I fish south of the 1 and west of the 2