Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2024, 07:22 AM

Default Homemade Lindy rigs, walleye rig components.

I’m looking forward to a new annual tradition of going to northern Manitoba to go walleye fishing with my old man for week. I went last year, and it was definitely worth the gas so it’s written in pen on the calendar now.

The go to rig is Walleye rigs, Lindy rigs, crawler harness. About all the same thing but different names. I would like to make my own this year so I can customize some different blade sizes and hook sizes and shapes. And I may have gone through quite a few last year…. You know, landing all those fish wears them out…… or maybe it was catching those rocks I don’t remember.

My question is does anyone else make their own? Any suggestions for places to get the parts for them? I know cabelas sells a pack of 100 or so different blades and I bet the fishing hole does too. This is kinda my February-March-April project before all time gets consumed with the summer activities.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:26 AM

I have been making mine for years. I buy beads typically at the dollar store when I find them. The blades etc.... I get from Walleyesupply.com
Old 02-02-2024, 09:38 AM

Lure parts.com is in Canada and will have an assortment of stuff. Lure parts online, Barlows, Jencraft in the US are other options. Beads there is tons of options. Match the correct clevis size to the blade size you use so the spin correctly. Small metal beads above and below your clevis make a big difference too

Nothing worse the blades that don’t spin freely

Yes I have made them and when I do I use tie able wire because the last longer and pike are not an issue
Old 02-02-2024, 09:58 AM

I also make my own, can use better line and hooks. Fishing Hole has great selection of blades. I got the beads from Michaels, cheaper than the tackle shops.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Lure parts.com is in Canada and will have an assortment of stuff. Lure parts online, Barlows, Jencraft in the US are other options. Beads there is tons of options. Match the correct clevis size to the blade size you use so the spin correctly. Small metal beads above and below your clevis make a big difference too

Nothing worse the blades that don’t spin freely

Yes I have made them and when I do I use tie able wire because the last longer and pike are not an issue
Thanks. You mean you use tie able wire as the clevis on the blade?
Old 02-02-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
I have been making mine for years. I buy beads typically at the dollar store when I find them. The blades etc.... I get from Walleyesupply.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I also make my own, can use better line and hooks. Fishing Hole has great selection of blades. I got the beads from Michaels, cheaper than the tackle shops.
Thank you both.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Thanks. You mean you use tie able wire as the clevis on the blade?
Nope instead of mono/floro you still need a clevis
Old 02-02-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Nope instead of mono/floro you still need a clevis
Gotcha.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:35 PM

I like using the plastic cevis, easier for poor eye site and arthritus fingers.

Buy most every thing between fishn hole and Bass Been tying for yrs. got tired of losing rigs to pike strikes.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:36 PM

I tie all mine with fire line no bite offs or cutting from rocks. i also use the plastic quick change clevis , easy and fast to change blades on the go. instead of the whole rig.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
I tie all mine with fire line no bite offs or cutting from rocks. i also use the plastic quick change clevis , easy and fast to change blades on the go. instead of the whole rig.
What lb fireline do you use for your rigs? That would be much handier then tying wire for when the pike won't leave you alone...lol
Old 02-04-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
What lb fireline do you use for your rigs? That would be much handier then tying wire for when the pike won't leave you alone...lol
I would be interested with this too. I have tried 14lb fire line for rigs but they just seem to twist into 6in long tangles.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Its 12 lb mono equivalent or 30 lb fireline.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:24 PM

I make my own. I buy my parts from a Canadian retailer called Luremaking.com. I also buy from them to put together all my own quickstrike pike rigs for ice fishing. They sell a great assortment of stuff. Been toying with buying moulds to make tube jigs...

http://luremaking.com/
Old 02-04-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I like using the plastic cevis, easier for poor eye site and arthritus fingers.

Buy most every thing between fishn hole and Bass Been tying for yrs. got tired of losing rigs to pike strikes.
Yeah I noticed wear on the line from the metal clevis on the store bought ones that did not have a plastic one.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks I’ll make a few with fire line. Then I’ll get razzed by the other guys! But hey as long as it works!
Old 02-04-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I make my own. I buy my parts from a Canadian retailer called Luremaking.com. I also buy from them to put together all my own quickstrike pike rigs for ice fishing. They sell a great assortment of stuff. Been toying with buying moulds to make tube jigs...

http://luremaking.com/
Thank you, appreciate the website.

Oh my there is so many colors and sizes to try! This is not going to be cheaper than buying 20 from the store! Lol
Old 02-04-2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Its 12 lb mono equivalent or 30 lb fireline.
I figured you must be using some heavier stuff for it, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-2024, 10:49 AM

I second, walleyesupply.com

Pricey for what it is, but good stuff and it works.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:21 PM

Have you used them recently. I went to their website, found some blades and colors that I either use or like the looks of and ordered some for delivery to my winter condo in Florida. After about 4 days I got a message that my order had changed and they were giving me a refund. Are they still i business or perhaps just out of stock?
Old 02-22-2024, 08:17 AM

I like to tie mine on 20lb fluoro with size 1 gami octopus hooks. I tie my snells a little long and once they get chewed up I put them aside. Once I have some time I cut the hooks off and re snell, you can get a bit more life out of your rigs this way.

Luremaking is a great site, every now and again they will have some blades on blowout and you can get a pile for half price.

If you plan on tying many over the next while it would be worth getting a cheap fly typing vise to act as a third hand. I find it a lot easier and faster to tie snells on a hook in a vice. If you already have one thats a bonus.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
I second, walleyesupply.com

Pricey for what it is, but good stuff and it works.
I order all my stuff from there. The selection of colors etc is endless.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:36 AM

Default rigs

I use 15# flourocarbon with 2 1# hooks and a plastic snap swivel so I can change blades. after a pike I check the rig, usual damage is between the hooks. If the bite is hot I cut the bottom hook off.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:29 PM

Further to my previous interaction with Walleye Supply, I sent them an email asking why they refunded me. I got a reply saying they felt my order was fraudulent - I am guessing they questioned a Florida delivery address and an Alberta billing address. They said that any order I sent would be filled so I resent my blade order and will see what happens. I hope this works as I have been finding it more and more difficult to buy decent blades in Calgary since Covid.