Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Default whats the diff between VX-L and VX-3

hi what the differents between the Leupold VXL and the VX-3 other then the
cut in the bell? is the the light the same or what? and which is better?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

They only come in matte black finish. A 56mm objective is available. There is one main feature that the VX-III doesn't have (crescent shaped cut in objective bell), and two main features that are an improvement to the VX-III... Only the VX-7 and VX-L have these two. The following is cut & paste directly from Leupold.

1. Crescent shaped cut in the objective bell:

The crescent removed from the lower radius of the objective forms the Light Optimization Profile™, which gives you the low-light advantages of a large objective lens, while hugging the rifle for a lower mount and more comfortable, secure cheekweld. The 50mm VX-L® mounts as low as a 36mm riflescope, yet delivers 48.6 percent more Total Light Throughput™ (TLT). Likewise, the 56mm VX-L and VX-7L™ mounts like a 40mm, and delivers 96 percent more TLT. You’ll also appreciate the uninterrupted, circular field of view, the improved balance, and the quick, accurate aiming that comes with a low-mount cheekweld. While the objective of the VX-L and VX-7L has a crescent, your sight picture remains perfectly circular, with crisp, edge-to-edge sharpness across the entire visual field.

2. Leupold second generation waterproofing

While we still waterproof other optics with bone-dry nitrogen – technology pioneered by Leupold® – the VX-L® features our exclusive, proprietary Argon/Krypton gas blend. Its advantages are two fold: it nearly eliminates the effects of thermal shock, and the Argon/Krypton molecules are significantly larger than nitrogen molecules, reducing the diffusion of gases sealed inside your scope even more than our proven nitrogen technology already does. We pioneered riflescope waterproofing, and now with Argon/Krypton we’re exceeding the standards we set ourselves.

3. Diamond Coat on exterior lenses

This coating on the exterior lenses gives you the ultimate in abrasion resistance and light transmission. The result is a flawless sight picture over a lifetime of hard use. DiamondCoat™ has made a difference in battle; now it can make a difference where you hunt.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Cool!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

I think you mean a "VXIII". I heard that the "VX3" is the new improved read probably more expensive model - if you meant the new one, I know very little about them.
The VX-L is definitely different, but don't let the Leupold's bragging it up fool you. In reality, any 50mm round scope has about 93% more surface area than a 36mm, so why is it that they advertise the VX-L as having only 48.6% more TLT than a 36 - isn't it sold as a 50mm? That puts the VX-L at about the same light throughput as any 44mm tube. Add to it that they saw fit to stuff all this into a 1" tube instead of a 30mm and beef it up completely, it doesn't make much sense. Add to that the fact that considering Leupold points out the marvelous low mounting capability, you probably can't get away with less than 1/2" of clearance at the bell from the barrel because of the bigger eyepiece - you'll never be able to fully open the bolt. It doesn't make any sense to me - and it explains why you see these scopes way up in the air looking like a flying duck with that odd shape. The only amazing thing I can see coming from the VX-L is the exorbitant price tag.
All the same, we should see the price of the VXIII dropping substantially soon, but then again we're not in the states and may not see the benefit of them being discontinued. Any dealers here should be able to shed some light on whether their costs are coming down on existing supplies of them or not. No, I don't dislike Leupolds, it's just that like high end Burris scopes, I think we're forced to overpay for what you get. I just prefer German glass.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM

does anyone have any "SKINNY" on the New Leupold Scopes
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM

i have a VX-L 4.5 - 14 x 56 and i LOVE it

sits nice and low on my mod. 70.....bolt opens ALL the way...30mm tube...and light transmission is like no VXIII i have ever had....my money was well spent IMHO (honest and experienced opinion)