Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Default H.R Ultra Varmint ???????????????

Hi all. Was thinking of purchasing An H.R. single shot Ultra Varmint in a 243 cal. 24" heavy bull barrel but need your opinion ....How is it for accuracy,dependability? For the price it even looks pretty good .I had a Rossi single shot a few years back total waste of money couldn't put 2 shells at the same place no matter what you tried.Are these the same????????? I already have a T.C. in a 280,300w.m, 30-06. so just looking for a cheap gun to shoot paper and varmints with. Thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Had an H&R 17 HMR heavy barrel a couple years back, kicking myself that I sold it. Acurate enough to take gophers out at 300 yards pretty consistently. Anything within 200 yards was toast. Good rifle, solid, accurate, dependable and inexpensive to boot. Never heard any complaints from anyone who owned one, grab it, think you'll like it.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Default nef pos

worst purchase of my life as far as guns go. and i even owned an sks once, so that should say something. bought one brand new at russell's in .204, had to try a better mousetrap. long story short, about 2 lbs of 5 different powders, several hundred bullets of various manufacture and weights, as well as a variety of primers, and probably a gallon of various cleaning solvents and supplies, i got it to shoot just under and inch at a 100, on occasion.
to my way of thinking, needlebores should be or have the ability to be tack drivers. after owning several .222's, some old, some new, some that looked like they should be condemmed, i never had one that didn't shoot under an inch with the first load i fed it. when i hit 3/4" with my sporter barrels, i know its time to clean, and back to half inch groups we go.
when i called nef to cry my story to them, the response was, 'if your getting an inch you should be happy, we won't even look at it if it will make 3" or less', in a snotty tone to boot.
traded it too my favorite gun dealer with full disclosure, and a whack of reloading crap for .204, went back to my duces and begged forgiveness. the young feller that bought the gun is happier than can be with it, shoots gophers and coyotes out to 150 yds,(unbelievably far in his world) and just loves it. i guess it all depends on your expectations going in, lee.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Just bought one a little over a week ago. Fun gun. I got it in 22-250. I had a problem with the gun opening after it had been shot without me touching the release. It was quickly solved once I learned that I had the close the gun with a little force to ensure it locked properly. Also give it a good cleaning before you shoot. Clean the barrel and the entire action thoroughly. I had a reload (not my own) that I shot, to test for a buddy (last time I do that) and it jammed inside the gun. Took it out with a rod and haven't had a problem since. I shot at about 250 yards at a stump. Gun shot extremely accurately. The single shots are fun to shoot and the stock feels great. I've put about 40 rounds through the rifle so far. Just reloaded a few 40 gr. rounds and will be taking it out sometime soon. That being said, this gun was not my first choice in 22-250 rifles. I was originally going to purchase a stevens 200 in 22-250 but the store was completely out of stock in that caliber and only had the 22-250 in the H&R. So I went with it. The stevens are a great rifle. I own one in 270. Accuracy is unreal and it's $309. They have it in 243 as well. Either way I like both rifles and the H&R ultra varmint fluted is a very unique rifle and always catches peoples eyes when you pull it out.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
worst purchase of my life as far as guns go. and i even owned an sks once, so that should say something. bought one brand new at russell's in .204, had to try a better mousetrap. long story short, about 2 lbs of 5 different powders, several hundred bullets of various manufacture and weights, as well as a variety of primers, and probably a gallon of various cleaning solvents and supplies, i got it to shoot just under and inch at a 100, on occasion.
to my way of thinking, needlebores should be or have the ability to be tack drivers. after owning several .222's, some old, some new, some that looked like they should be condemmed, i never had one that didn't shoot under an inch with the first load i fed it. when i hit 3/4" with my sporter barrels, i know its time to clean, and back to half inch groups we go.
when i called nef to cry my story to them, the response was, 'if your getting an inch you should be happy, we won't even look at it if it will make 3" or less', in a snotty tone to boot.traded it too my favorite gun dealer with full disclosure, and a whack of reloading crap for .204, went back to my duces and begged forgiveness. the young feller that bought the gun is happier than can be with it, shoots gophers and coyotes out to 150 yds,(unbelievably far in his world) and just loves it. i guess it all depends on your expectations going in, lee.
That my friend, is exactly the same response you get from Remington. I've wanted to try one of those H&R in 22-250.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 PM

I have one in .243 and it is a very accurate rifle with certain bullets. 58gr V-max over Varget are scary accurate, as are 60gr Sierra HP's. 75gr Hornady Hollowpoints suck, 80gr Sierras are good and 100gr Grand Slams come in at around MOA with the right load.

For a $300ish rifle I can't complain.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Default 75 hornadys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I have one in .243 and it is a very accurate rifle with certain bullets. 58gr V-max over Varget are scary accurate, as are 60gr Sierra HP's. 75gr Hornady Hollowpoints suck, 80gr Sierras are good and 100gr Grand Slams come in at around MOA with the right load.

For a $300ish rifle I can't complain.
ive had trouble with hornady h.p. in 6mm as well, always better luck with vmax and bks. quite often speer tnts surprise me too, a bonus for lo cost bullets, lee
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
gitrdun

I wish to expand a bit more on my previous post. NEF (New England Firearms) and HR were basically the same company a few years ago. It now escapes my memory as to how the merger came along. Just look at their gun offerings and you'll easily see what I mean. Marlin bought them out just a few years ago. Marlin lever guns have always held a special place in my heart. Just last year, Remington bought out Marlin, much to my displeasure as I had earlier on developed a hatred for Remington firearms (excepting the old 870 Wingmasters). Remington has been plaged with union problems much as what brought Winchester to failure. Thus, I feel that the snooty attitude that you've received from HR has been brought on by a buy out from Remington's philosophy. Having said that, I had a discussion with Savage arms, nothing to do with accuracy mind you, but with a simple clip problem. I was treated with dignity and my problem was resolved with great ease and pleasure. Go Savage man, you'll shoot tiny groups with "ugly" guns, as they all say.