Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Storage

How do you folks store your hand guns? I've been hearing horror stories about stolen guns and you are responsible for your hand guns. Mine are in a locked case in my gun safe but the safe is just a metal one that I'm sure you could get into if you were persistent. How does the law look at storage of restricted weapons, I know I can look it up but I'm looking for ideas, thanks for any input.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Presently mine are in a proper gun safe, but I do also have one of those GunVault brand small pistol safes that I've picked up with some intentions for it. I want to incorporate it into a custom built nightstand, for both security and ease of access. It'll be a while until that project materializes though.....

http://www.gunvault.com/minisafe.nxg

Keep in mind a perp can only steal something if they can find it, unusual spots in small locked containers that are fastened down would qualify. A buddy of mine renovated his house and incorporated a false floor area in a closet. The floor joists allow for him to slip in his rifles and cover the access with a piece of closet organizer shelving. The joists are lined with carpet to protect firearms from scratches, his basement is finished so its not visible at all from down there.... just utilizing some normally vacant space in the floor.

Another security thing I do is not advertising to the world about firearms in my house; no S&W, Browning or Remington stickers on my truck = no strangers following me home to case the place for later.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-06-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 AM

What about putting them up in your attic or whatever you wanna call that thing in your ceiling. Out of sight outta mind.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Trigger lock, in a safe or locked container and not obvious. That's it.

IF a creep wants to get your guns bad enough, he will. If you have followed the legal requirements for storing them, you have nothing to worry about.

I have a safe, but I also have an angle grinder in my garage that the creep could use if he wanted to......

Do the best you can. It sounds like you are already doing that.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
How do you folks store your hand guns? I've been hearing horror stories about stolen guns and you are responsible for your hand guns. Mine are in a locked case in my gun safe but the safe is just a metal one that I'm sure you could get into if you were persistent. How does the law look at storage of restricted weapons, I know I can look it up but I'm looking for ideas, thanks for any input.
Trigger locked,in a locked gun safe,in a locked room.
Also have to full grown Rotties as house dogs,Perps are welcome to try and get anything out
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

I built a hidden vault in my house and when they are in there they don't need to be locked. I am the only one with the key and IF you can find the room good luck getting in there. I have a hidden metal box in there as well but I use it for powder and primer storage.

huntinstuff..if you think for 1 minute that the RCMP will not charge you for improper storage if someone breaks into your house and steals your handguns you haven't been paying attention to the news in the last 5 or so years.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mikemike View Post
I built a hidden vault in my house and when they are in there they don't need to be locked. I am the only one with the key and IF you can find the room good luck getting in there. I have a hidden metal box in there as well but I use it for powder and primer storage.

huntinstuff..if you think for 1 minute that the RCMP will not charge you for improper storage if someone breaks into your house and steals your handguns you haven't been paying attention to the news in the last 5 or so years.
who said anything about improper storage?????

Locked, in a locked case or safe and out of sight is the most prudent thing you can do.

Improper storage constitutes a criminal charge ..... but i dont recall mentioning anything like that.

Take a good look at my post......
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Locked case inside a locked room.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM

My guns are in a room locked in a room.
bars on the window.
PERFECTLY LEGAL storage.
I have since put in an alarm system as well, but it is not needed for legality.

A friend had his house broken into several years ago and a handgun stolen.
no charges laid because it was in a locked room.

Guys, the storgage laws are not intended to find you guilty if you have a firearm stolen, they are there to ensure that improper access is not gained ( children , etc) , NOT ILLEGAL access.
often, the police have charged people with offences improperly under the criminal code , that is them messing up, not the person charged.

here is an example.
Years before the present laws were in place one of the guys from our company had his van stolen.
Inside the van were two rifles and s shotgun, and they were in turn stolen and sold.
He was charged with improperly soring the guns because the cops figured the van should not have been used as a gun cabinet!!

Of course, the charges were dropped, but here is a perfect example of a law enforcement officer thinking his opinion is law, which it very rarely is.
BTW, it does not matter what you do or do not advertise, crooks can access all kinds of info with a computer.
A while back on CGN there was a thread about a website ( I visited it) that when you punch in your POSTAL CODE , the firearms within it were displayed!!
This came from an RCMP site IIRC....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-07-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM

huntinstuff is right ,still ...hate to see my gun floating around on the street,i like them ,their mine legally bought and worked for
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Trigger locked,in a locked gun safe,in a locked room.
Also have to full grown Rotties as house dogs,Perps are welcome to try and get anything out
" there's a dog in there" (throws in a piece of meat) BANG!!
Dawg problem solved.
There is NOTHING that will stop a burglar, only stuff that will slow them down a tad, and that is one thing we have in our favour.
The longer it takes them to get in, the more dangerous for them it is.
Once they are inside, they have all the time they need - unless they do not know about a silent alarm system, a neighbour who happens to see them, etc.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-07-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM

got b&e d a couple years back , little punks took the time to smoke a cigarrete in our bedroom before they stole all sorts of stuff from every room in the place including icecream bars from the freezer and pepsi from the basement