Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM

Smile What does the "wammy" do?

I've watched the fellow build snares on you tube, but I can't figure out what the wammy does. Do you need one on a snare?

While I have you attention, how much does a licence cost for a land owner, and how long is it good for.

Are the snares indiscriminate (will trap smaller animals) or will they just catch coyotes. I have a fisher that I'd like to leave alone.

Do I need to bait the snare?

How soon do they "work"?

Thanks very much.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Snares are indiscriminate about what they catch and kill . You have to be careful where they are placed to prevent catching deer , etc . I don't bait any of mine , all on trails and runways . Hang them from a branch about 8" off the ground using a paper clip and wind a little grass in it to disguise . I spray some of the same scent killer on them that I use when bowhunting to reduce scent , does it work ? Can't hurt . Lots of guys on here have more tips than me but these work for me .. Trappers licence is about $20/ year . PM if I can help .
Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2APPwSbPk
Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

I'm thinking that even a landowner will require a license, in which case you should take the course. All your questions can be answered there.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I'm thinking that even a landowner will require a license, in which case you should take the course. All your questions can be answered there.
X2 you need the license so you will have to either challenge the test or take the course. I would recommend the course it's very fun and you'll learn a lot from it.
If you set up for coyote there is a very good chance you'll get the fisher which as a resident trapper you are not allowed to trap.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Back to your original question, a whammy is a device that holds your snare in place. Here is a pic of a whammy made of plastic tubing...they can be made of lots of things.
I put the tubing on the snare, then force the support wire into the tubing...holds the snare firmly, keeps it from twisting in the wind, etc.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 01-31-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Back to your original question, a whammy is a device that holds your snare in place. Here is a pic of a whammy made of plastic tubing...they can be made of lots of things.

.http://emobmg.photobucket.com/albums...ofCsmas001.jpg
Pretty sure you got the wrong pic bushmaster!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM

Lol, trying to post off my iPad ! Not doing too well....
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Smile Thanks very much.

Taking the course would be pretty cool , but I'm past my best before date to take up trapping. Are the Alberta trappers all north of Edmonton or are there some in central Alberta?

If there is a trapper near Stettler I'll give him permission on my land. It is only a 1/2 section but it has never been trapped.

The coyotes are coming up to my porch at night and I'm afraid of losing a pet to them. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Coyotes on porch

There is actually quite a few trappers in the Lacombe to Stettler area. I can think of at least 3 or 4 Trappers including myself who take a pile of Coyotes every year in the general area. Send me a message and we will try and line up someone...

You problems are absolutely every where and common place in AB.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=densa44;1283443]Taking the course would be pretty cool , but I'm past my best before date to take up trapping. Are the Alberta trappers all north of Edmonton or are there some in central Alberta?

If there is a trapper near Stettler I'll give him permission on my land. It is only a 1/2 section but it has never been trapped.

Last edited by G_Godberson; 02-28-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Thougt this was a private message