Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Default What is the trick to skinning a coyote

A friend and I have been keeping our coyotes from this year, and skinning them. Now the question is how do guys skin a coyote in 5 min( so I have read), when it is taking me approx 35-45 min. Any tricks of the trade that anyone will share with a newbie? Thanks for any info
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM

It's easy. First they skin a thousand or so and get it down to 15 minutes then after a few thousand more they're down to five minutes. I'm sure you've seen all the tricks, air compressors, winches, come alongs, chop front legs off with ax etc.

Time and persistance is the answer and sitting in on all the demos you can. On line is great but actually watching a guy is better. Good luck
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Hutterites

Stop in at the Morinville Hutterite Colony and ask for Jackie...he does demos for skinning all types of critters at trade shows and for the Trappers Association etc...I've never seen him skin, but I've heard he can do beavers in something like 2-3 minutes(skinned and stretched)he always stops in at my old man's work everytime he has a good wolf or something else unique...and tells us to stop by and see him work his magic...they won't let him compete because he can skin 2 or 3 to the next closest guy's 1...I guess he is amazing with a knife...
Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Skinning a coyote when still warm is way easier than cold. I cuss every time I need go thaw one out.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Check out 5911Ryan channel on YouTube. He does one in 3:52...real fast. I was doing mine in about 40 min until I watched this now I can cut it down to about 12 minutes. I have a couple thawing right now and I think I can get close to 5 min....we'll see tomorrow Check him out he has some real good vids on snaring coyotes too. He caught over 200 before Xmas and with the last sale averaging around $74 I think he did quite well.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Talking

Take the whole pile of yotes.. Put them in the truck.. Drive to Morinville and cut a deal.. Average out the driving time per yote... And might get er down to less then five mins per.. Just a suggestion.. Is what I would do!!!! Cause I am nowhere near that fast. N don't see me bein in that bracket anywhere in my future.. Good luck brother...!!! Sorry for being of no help at all.

WM.