Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Default dogs down

took all winter but finally i got em. 3 wolves and one coyote. i just started traping this winter, i have been traping a quatersection of privet land. i have one bait set since dec 1. trying to get some wolves off before he builds a house and moves out there. i have aprox 30 snares set. got a couple coyotes earlyer all caought in wolf snares around hips. cheacked the line yesterday morning and to my suprise 3 big wolves one coyote. 2 blacks and one kinda smokey color. i have pics will post tonight. i have a question thought, should i set agean were wolves were cought or are they not likely to follow same trail agean? my trailcam says there are about 7 or 8 others around, and i would like to hang a couple more. do u guys drag lure behinde u as u walk through cheacking traps? i heard this works to get them to follow ur trail. they are kinda all over no real good solid trails, they come in mostly from a big ridge but seem to not follow same trail twice
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Default Wolves

Good job. I myself am after a lone wolf. Tracks every two weeks is all I see of him. Glad to hear about your catch.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Reset immediately, too bad you didn't do it right away to minimize disturbance. Don't drag smelly stuff around on trails your snares are on. The wolves might come right back to look for their buddies.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM

i went back to rebait and set some more snares, they have been back but not where i cought the other ones, i reset there any way. would staining my snares help? thinking about seting some smaller lower snares i keep geting coyotes around the hips, kinda feel bad for them, bad way to go! maybe seting wolf snares higher, been setting bottom of the loop at nee hight top of the loop waist hight, im 6'4". sorry my home computer @#$% up last night will post pics tonight!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Default here are the pics

finally got some pics. cant get the other ones to work but here are 2 wolves and a coyote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1547.jpg (79.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1548.jpg (79.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1549.jpg (68.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1550.jpg (67.7 KB, 144 views)