Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM

Default Benelli ComforTech Stock

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I'm looking for some honest thoughts, opinions and reviews on the Benelli ComforTech stock because I'm interested in the R1 chambered in 30-06. My question is does it actually work? Benelli claims that it reduces recoil by up to 48%? That seems like a stretch to me but maybe I'm wrong. I understand that it's each to their own when it comes to recoil and that there are many factors that play a part in it such as bullet weight, rifle weight etc. But when it boils down to it does the ComforTech really reduce recoil compared to a regular stock? Any thoughts on the R1 and (shotguns with) Comfortech are very much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Banned

Default comfort tech

I don't have a rifle with it, but have a few Benelli shotguns and I do think it makes a difference after trying out many of my hunting buddies guns. I have rolled through close to 1000 rounds in a day in S America with my 20 gauge hunting doves and was able to keep this pace up for close to 2 weeks with no ill effects. It may depend on body structure a little and what you are able to absorb, slighter build obviously feels more of a pounding. I have shot multiple boxes of 12 gauge 3 and 3.5 inch BB and BBB loads on snow goose hunts as well, and I know I wasn't near as beat up as some others with different shotguns. Not sure what the comparitives would be like for rifles though. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM

I have a supernova 12 gauge and ive found the recoil is a lot less when shooting 3 1/2 blindsides, recoil when shooting 2 3/4 is almost non-existent, I assume it would work good with 30-06.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM

good to know thanks guys
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM

I have a wood R1 and a Comfortech R1, both in 30-06.
I also have a wood SBE II and a Comfortech SBE II.
I hunt with the comfortechs and work them hard all year long.

For sure the comfortech stocks suck up recoil over the wood. Not a huge amount, but definitely noticeable. The buttpad on the comfortech is also softer too though, in fact so soft they're getting pretty haggard.

I think the wood Benelli's are much nicer with nice grain & glossy bluing, but I hunt with the comfortech for the recoil advantage, and that I don't worry about scratching anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 AM

Forgot to mention.

The plastic fore-stock on the R1 always works loose on mine. The swivel screw that holds it on can't be overtightened because it'll force the stock back over the sides of the receiver and mag-well.
No problems with the wood one, fits great & never comes loose.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Thanks Drillbit

Thanks for the info drillbit. Is the recoil reduced enough that you would compare it to a smaller caliber or no? How happy are you with the performance of your R1's? I've read up on the R1 quite a bit and I realize your not going to get bolt action type groups out of them But some guys say 1MOA - With the majority getting 1.5 - 2.5 MOA. What kind of accuracy do you get out of yours? I understand the R1's Have a 1 in 11 twist rate and are actually closer to 11.75 And therefore they don't like the heavier grain bullets (Don't get why they didn't make it 1 in 10) Have you found that to be true with your guns? What grain shoots the best for you/Have you worked up any pet loads? Have you had any reliability issues just in general or maybe cold-weather?

Sorry for the ambush of questions!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM

Yes the recoil is reduced, but there is still some recoil. I can watch the bullet hit the target in the scope with the comfortech, the wood one jumps too much for that.

Performance is great. I put around 500 rounds per year through my comfortech one and have had it for around 5 years. I've used it Buffalo hunting -35 @ Pink Mountain, and pushing bush in the prairies -30 and have never had any function problems at all (even having a layer of ice on it after getting in & out of the truck all day). To maintain it I spray it down good with gun scrubber and then g96 it, and wipe the extra off.

When I bought them I bought a box of everything I could find in 150. Both guns shoot exactly the same. 150grn best are hornady SST lighmags, and winchester powerpoints.
For a pet load I found the best is Winchester Brass, WLR primer, 150SST or inter bond, 59.9 of IMR 4350. Shoots the same poi as the Lightmags.
They group horizontally a little left & right of center depending on how many rounds in the mag. Empty mag, it shoots down the middle. Doesn't make sense but I've tested it a lot. Groups max @ 3/4 left - 3/4 right so a 1.5" spread. Load a fresh mag, shoots left, right, left, right. Stagger feed must push the bolt back & forth a bit? 180's POI moves to around 6" high, so that's pretty important to know. Only tried 180 BTSP interlock Lightmags and Winchester Powerpoint and Silvertips. All shot good enough (MOBuffallo!) but can't remember actual groups sizes.

If you have any more questions, fire away, I'll do my best for ya.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM

It's nice to finally talk to someone about the R1. Every gun shop that I've been to, with the exception of WSS, has had no one with any real knowledge of the gun to speak to (I have wondered if that's a reason to stay away from them). The guy at WSS told me they don't shoot worth s**t and that he sold his because it was at best a 3.5-4 MOA gun! My SKS could probably do better!

From what I can gather online about guys commenting on what shoots best in their R1's, the 150 gr sst seems to come up the most. What game have you shot with the SST/results? I was curious about shooting light mag rounds in an R1 because I believe Hornady recommends not to shoot them in semi-autos ? I figured with the A.R.G.O being a short stroke system that it would probably handle them... Don't know if that makes sense. Have you tried the Superformance line at all or Barnes tsx/ttsx? I'm glad to hear how well the gun performed in extreme cold. I think most people wouldn't trust a semi in those kinds of conditions, especially when hunting buffalo. That says a lot about G96! Love G96, I use it on all my guns- easy on the nose too! I've herd corrosion x is awesome stuff as well as militech. I think I've made up my mind on the R1 and I plan on using a new toy in 30-06 to bag my deer and hopefully my 1st moose next fall! Again I appreciate the help.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM

Well, with Fusions for some reason 4 MOA would be good! Not sure why, but they were unbelievably terrible out of both R1's I have.

The guys with the loud negative opinions have usually never tried the rifle they're bashing.

All I shoot out of mine are lightmags or reloads to the same FPS, even the 180's, haven't tried the new superformance, not sure if it's anything different though. For Elk hunting I use federal 165 HighEnergy's that are also not supposed to be used in a semi. You can get a 338 barrel/boltface for an R1 now and nothing else changes so I'm not worried about doing any damage. Time will tell I guess, and I'm 3000 rounds plus now

SST's are interlocks with plastic tips on them and higher BC due to being a little more aerodynamic. I've shot many deer, lots of blackbears, a few moose, a few wolves and a grizzly with them. For buffalo I had to up to a 180grn for lbs/ft requirements and used a interlock BTSP. All worked fine. I've shot many coyotes with SST's while hunting and they kill them fine, but there is a lots of sewing to do if you want to keep the hide.
For elk, as I said earlier I use Federal HE with a 165 TrophyBondedBearclaw bullet. Elk, to me are way tougher and a bonded or copper bullet should be used. My R1's shoot that bullet good, but I'm almost out of them, I don't think they make them anymore.

So, I've just picked up some GMX and TSX but haven't loaded anything up yet to try.

Yeah, G96 is great stuff! Most people don't trust semi-autos because when Remington 742's and Winchester 100's came out in the early 60's, guys were lubing them with 10w30 and wondering why they jammed when it was cold. A little bit of maintenance with G96 and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM

I go through mine really good 3 or 4 times a year. The scope is attached to the barrel and when I take it a part to clean and re-assemble the POI doesn't change. I checked it the first 10 or so, times, but now I trust it.

*DON"T USE THE FRONT SLING MOUNT TO TIGHTEN OR LOOSEN THE BARREL! as directed in the manual, use an 11mm or 7/16 wrench. You break the spring loaded pin off, or bend it if you're lucky. I was lucky and just bent mine a bit, but I've seen a few "where can I get this part" posts.

I have 40mm scopes on mine and used Leupold Low PRW rings on the factory rail if that helps too.

Hopefully that helps!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 AM

Damn dude. You are answering the other questions floating around in my head. I was going to ask you if you've shot the federal HE loads. Fusions are a round that lots of guys say shoot very poorly out of the R1... I do like fusions. its My go to for whitetail out of my norinco m305 (m1a). I guess I'll just have to give em a go and see if my R1 will like them. It's funny, go into a gun store and ask if you can interchange barrels on the R1... They will look at you sideways. So the pet load you mentioned is pretty hot eh?
Thanks for the heads up on the sling mount.That would definitely be a oh s**t moment. Oh that's another knock on the R1..some say The scope has to be re zeroed every time you break it down to clean it. That would be annoying. I haven't shot a BAR or Remington 742 but it seems more jam then function properly. Probably just depends on who's cleaning it/when/with what.
Well it will be interesting to hear how well the GMX and TSX work out for ya. Maybe I'll shoot you a message down the road to see how you made out?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 AM

I have a Vinci 12 gauge and it is soooooooo much more comfortable to shoot than my 870. i can only assume a center fire would perform equally.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM

The BAR's are good to. They shoot MOA, but are a little harder to clean, not too bad though. I have a Longtrac, with a Winchester SXR fully detachable magazine, because I hate the browning floor plate system. It's nice too, I just like the fit & feel of the Benelli better.

My pet loads aren't anything special, but they go over the chrony the same speed as lightmags and the SST's hit at the same poi. So I figured, good enough.

And although it possible to switch out barrels, it's not worth the cost. New R!'s are around $1000-1100 now and a barrel set up is around $800. Might as well by the whole gun.

If you have anymore questions I can help with let me know, and for sure check back in on the GMX TSX progress.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 AM

I own a Bellini 300WinMag and the first time I shot it, I went and got another brand of bullets. I could not believe how little the recoil is. It was way LESS than my Remington 30-06.

I also own a Benelli SBE II and it has little recoil, shooting #8 2 3/4" or
BB 3 1/2".
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I also own a Benelli SBE II and it has little recoil, shooting #8 2 3/4" or
BB 3 1/2".
Comparing my SBE2 with my A400 Xtreme, and my SX-3, the A400 had the least felt recoil, followed by the SX-3. The SBE2 produced significantly more recoil, even with the Comfortech stock.

Tags
30-06, benelli r1, comfortech, semi auto