Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Default “We don’t want to work for a hunt”

Recently I tried to help some new hunters get out on a mountain elk hunt, but the response I got was frightening. I don’t have a lot of spare time to hunt having started university this year so the time I do get is valuable and I could spend it pursuing the 320+ bull that is frequenting the spot I hunt. Instead I did a lot of research and scouting for an elk hunt in a different area close to three hunters from down south. I only knew one personally and he is a great guy with a great drive and was all for a long weekend in the mountains 5-6 miles in but his two roommates who we invited said they didn’t want to work for a hunt, that was literally their answer. I was so shocked, especially given the fact that I know these two are on this forum and commonly call out experienced hunters for giving newbies crap when they ask about best spots etc. Has anyone ever experienced this before, I’m at an actual loss, it seems some of us have forgotten about what hunting is about.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 PM

Read the post on the Drone hunting I think lots of people have forgotten how to hunt or how to work for a hunt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Read the post on the Drone hunting I think lots of people have forgotten how to hunt or how to work for a hunt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
That’s what worries me, as a teenager who taught spent all my time learning good ethics, marksmanship, and as much about the amazing game I pursue as I could I’ve kinda lost a lot of faith in the new generation of hunters.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Just look at how many people post here asking for someone to find them animals and provide permission.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just look at how many people post here asking for someone to find them animals and provide permission.
It’s crazy, I want to laugh every time I see a post like that.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 PM

Instant gratification is the issue and problem. There are so few who actually hunt anymore.

*Give me a place with animals, I'll shoot them at 1500 yards so I don't actually have to learn to hunt. Oh, and please gut, skin, butcher and cook the meat for me, text me when you're done, I'm busy on Facebook.*

This seems to be the evolving attitude of the modern *Hunter*.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 PM

We eat our own, who needs anti's to erode our heritage...

Hunt the way you want, let others do the same.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Our grandpas probably said the same about us too. ( trail cams, range finders, hopped up magnums, quads, etc....)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

Yup
Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 PM

Damn kids and their fancy 94 levers. What’s wrong with the 303?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:53 PM

I hear ya, people want the best results with no effort.

I myself have been rifling through (no pun intended), potential "elk hunting partners" because of the same thing. Once they go on a couple hikes with me, they lose interest and never go again. They don't understand that an animal that majestic is worth the effort. Elk hunting is a lot of work, there is no way around it, but the rewards are priceless.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I’m all for letting others hunt how they want, doesn’t necessarily mean I have to agree with it but it’s their right, I’m more just shocked that the literal response was “we don’t want to work hard for a hunt” it’s just ironic that people who demand help are the ones who won’t put the work in.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Recently I tried to help some new hunters get out on a mountain elk hunt, but the response I got was frightening.

I’m at an actual loss, it seems some of us have forgotten about what hunting is about.
It's not that some have forgotten what hunting is...it that they never knew what hunting was to start with.

The ones that don't want to work can be camp attendant then. And they would only be entitled to the fore leg meat and tail bone.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I’m all for letting others hunt how they want, doesn’t necessarily mean I have to agree with it but it’s their right, I’m more just shocked that the literal response was “we don’t want to work hard for a hunt” it’s just ironic that people who demand help are the ones who won’t put the work in.
I wonder if these types are the ones that got a trophy for coming in last when they were young?
If they are, it’s just the trophy that has changed. Hey, it’s been working for them so far.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
but his two roommates who we invited said they didn’t want to work for a hunt, that was literally their answer. I was so shocked, especially given the fact that I know these two are on this forum and commonly call out experienced hunters for giving newbies crap when they ask about best spots etc. Has anyone ever experienced this before, I’m at an actual loss, it seems some of us have forgotten about what hunting is about.
They’re just not that into it. That’s fine. They’ll probably hunt for another year or two with mediocre success and give it up, sell their guns for a bargain. Good on them for trying it out.

I recently bought a used rc monster truck. Base price for the truck was $650. I bought the truck, a pile of spare parts, spare gear box, spare motor, $200 set of upgrade tires and rims, for $475. He got into it, cause his buddies were into it. But it’s not his thing.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM

Lol. Way before our times, people did whatever they did to get the animal. Then they learned that they can run a mammoth off the rocks, which made things much easier. That was way before people had any actual resemblense to what we are today. Fast forward, someone thought of a spear. Another fast forward, someone thought of a bow. Another fast forward - a rifle. Keep in mind that some of these things were invented mainly to kill each other and were utilized for hunting as a side benefit. At the same time, one should keep in mind that most of the killings in the begining of time (before the fast forwards) was done so that one would not have to hunt for food, rather kill someone and take over their food supply. Then, when sights were invented, one did not have to get as close to the animal to kill it. Advances in optics only increased the distance.

Same goes for agriculture. People now use combines and other equipment to harvest their crops. What about construction? They built the pyramids carrying rocks on their backs (literally and figuratively). Today we use cranes and other sofisticated equipment.

In other words, (some) humans worked (and still do) very hard for our kind to be able to put as little effort, while ripping the highest possible benefit.

Some of you are talking about it as if it had never happened before and things are different and on the downhill. Some people are just plain lazy. Others want to put more effort into things they are more interested in. Many sit in the blind every fall, riding the roads, or just waiting for a buck in the little piece of bush in the middle/edge/whatever of the field/cutline.

Long story short, to each their own. People have been finding things to make their lives easier since before anyone can remember and any records had existed. As long as one follows the law, one can sit on the edge of the field or ride the roads, take the animal to the butcher to be processed, etc. Who cares? Find what you like to do and enjoy it. I have taken an elk on a farm field for the first time last season in my (not so long) hunting “career” due to the very limited time I had. Holy smokes was it easy and the meat tasted all the same (well, not really, it was a young cow and perfect for eating). Didn’t make me a fan though.

Having said that, I had never used anything but a shovel in my garden, from planting to harvest (and I grow all of it from seed, berries aside); and I have only taken an animal on the field once, as already mentioned; every animal I took, I processed on my own (rarely with someone’s help). But that just the way I like it, not because I am looking to complicate things as much as possible. Because I like to go into the bush, sometimes deep, sometimes not as deep, I like to track, I love to learn from it, I like to be a part of the habitat; because I know no butcher will do what and how I want it with the animal I kill; because I like having a meal that consists of things I grew/harvested and processed from start to finish (unfortunateky does not work year round, lol).

Anyway, long story even shorter, find someone that fits your ambitions in any given thing and be happy. There are people that I really enjoy going on a 200 km canoeing trip, but I know they will never go hunting with me because it is not their thing. Then, there are people who will go with me deep into the bush, some would go even deeper than I like, but I will never go on a distance canoe trip with them because it is not their thing.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:37 AM

Hunt solo and make your own moves and that goes for most things in life,What ever efforts you put into something will be your reward all through your life.So leave the sheep hang out together and go get what you want out of hunting and what ever else life brings on and attack it with every thing you can dish out.

The more you hunt alone the more trust and secure you will become as a hunter and a better person.Being secure in yourself is a sign of strength many people lack.

Being a true outdoorsmen is not just about killing an elk.It's about a pure and tranquil way of life that gets imbedded deep within your soul and once it's there,you will know what others are missing.The best life on earth is to be free in nature and treating it like ever day is your last day and respecting every creature that lives around you.Cheers
Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Hunt solo and make your own moves and that goes for most things in life,What ever efforts you put into something will be your reward all through your life.So leave the sheep hang out together and go get what you want out of hunting and what ever else life brings on and attack it with every thing you can dish out.

The more you hunt alone the more trust and secure you will become as a hunter and a better person.Being secure in yourself is a sign of strength many people lack.

Being a true outdoorsmen is not just about killing an elk.It's about a pure and tranquil way of life that gets imbedded deep within your soul and once it's there,you will know what others are missing.The best life on earth is to be free in nature and treating it like ever day is your last day and respecting every creature that lives around you.Cheers
Well said, and for myself, I would add, it's also about doing what needs to be done, myself.

There is a level of satisfaction one gets from doing for themselves that can not be matched by anything else.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Eat your own....tastes like Spam?

Just look at the mid sections of North Americans on average....hard done by eh?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2018, 05:55 AM
Banned

Work smarter not harder!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Work smarter not harder!
Can you send me a grid ref to my elk please.....has to be no more than 50 yards from the road....thx oh yeah pm me so know one else knows....thx

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 AM

For me hunting is about being in the woods. Some days ill set out to walk 3 miles and after 300 yards im sleeping against a tree or ill go scouting a new area and end up finding amazing scenery and be back at the truck well after dark. Some days i drive lease roads looking for a deer thats close and requires no work. For me hunting has nothing to do with tagging out or amount of work i do or dont do. I encourage anyone to hunt as long as they are doing it within the law and minimize all risk of the animal suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Nice thing about elk hunting, it usually "separates the men from the boys" Very few elk are taken by lazy hunters! (legally)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
For me hunting is about being in the woods. Some days ill set out to walk 3 miles and after 300 yards im sleeping against a tree or ill go scouting a new area and end up finding amazing scenery and be back at the truck well after dark. Some days i drive lease roads looking for a deer thats close and requires no work. For me hunting has nothing to do with tagging out or amount of work i do or dont do. I encourage anyone to hunt as long as they are doing it within the law and minimize all risk of the animal suffering.
I like your post, Buckhorn2.

I had a proud "dad" moment this weekend, as I watched my teenage son show a new adult hunter how to field dress and prepare the grouse they had shot. And this after a long hike in the bush. So, all is not lost! There are some good apples coming up in the new crop of hunters.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:04 AM

My one friend asked me if I wanted to go elk hunting with him about 30-odd yrs ago. I knew where he wanted to go, let myself get talked into it, next thing I know, we are looking down on some sheep. Did that many times with him since then, looked down on goats a few times, elk hunting, ya.. And questioned my sanity for sliding down screes and going up or across some slopes on hands and knees because they were too steep to stand on. Hunting moose or elk on the wrong side of a large swamp, in areas with lots of blowdowns.
Sometimes wonder if our idea of fun recreation just might be a bit warped.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

I Like this idea above^^^. everybody is different, with just a slight exception you can have a partner.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 100%. To me it is all about time spent in the field, whether this is 10 min from the house or a 2hr drive with all day spent hiking, its all great.

I actually find the hardest "work" as far as time is involved is knocking on doors and meeting landowners. The more time and work invested in this area, pays dividends when it comes to "easy" hunting.

DR
Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM

I suppose some folks don't want to put in the effort, others might not have the time.

The only person that gets to sort this out is the person them selves, either it works out, or it doesn't.

Life challanges all of us at one time or the other, things like family life style, work, other interest and hobbies,,, along with the daily grind, I work along side of a few close friends to help them out since they enjoy parts of this out-door hunting thing.

If they choose to that is, no pressure from our end as they are always welcome to tag along or pass it up, if things are to busy they can pass it up as we carry on as normal.

No big deal since plan F to N is on going,,, the only thing missing we tell them is "U". Ha

There are a few that would like to take advantage of the hunting season, but over-all the majority of our kin folk join in on the good times.

The kids take on the fast "Go Gett'em" crowd as my long time friend and I team up with the "Oh So Relaxing Group."

The fast pace group or us slackers all enjoy the good times, we're on month 2 in Northern Alberta,,, more to do with being able to getting away and putting in the time.

No big deal since each group gets to pick and choose what part of the days they enjoy the most. Sun up and no snow is a real plus up here this year.

Kind of glad we're not down in Calgary area. LOL
Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I like your post, Buckhorn2.

I had a proud "dad" moment this weekend, as I watched my teenage son show a new adult hunter how to field dress and prepare the grouse they had shot. And this after a long hike in the bush. So, all is not lost! There are some good apples coming up in the new crop of hunters.
That sure would be a proud moment, there still is hope for our next generation of hunters, it’s good to see good ethics getting passed down, kudos to you for being a great father who teaches his son the skills he needs to be be successful in the outdoors.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Agree 100%. To me it is all about time spent in the field, whether this is 10 min from the house or a 2hr drive with all day spent hiking, its all great.

I actually find the hardest "work" as far as time is involved is knocking on doors and meeting landowners. The more time and work invested in this area, pays dividends when it comes to "easy" hunting.

DR
The only thing I know for sure is there is never such thing as a bad day out hunting and you’re right, we hunt not for the kill but because we love to get outside I probably should have remembered that before posting in frustration.