Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Frame pack suggestions? Pack rabbit?

So, I hunt in the UK, and its wet here compared to Alberta, but this year its been really wet, to the extent I cannot drive on the land any more to extract deer, so all my deer are being dragged or carried out at the moment.

To explain my situation, I shoot all fallow deer (some mountain goats but thats another area and nothing like your goats). My deer are between 66lbs to 165lbs in weight, although this upper weight I would not look to carry. I guess my deer are like your whitetail does, with the mainstay being the size of your small does/yearlings and the bucks being a good dry doe to young buck.

I have done a lot of research on external frame packs, and looked at Eberlestock mainframes (you guys don't seem to rate them on heavy loads) but they are a good price point, stone glacier (bit expensive), and one pack I found but no comments on here, are the pack rabbit exoskeleton. They look ace, easily cleanable, but has anyone any experience of them?

Looking less for a camping pack, just a means of getting deer out the same day I shoot them. Any suggestions or experiences?
Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

I have an eberslestock pack and hauled sheep and elk and deer with it no problems. Carried a whole sheep with no issues same with over an quarter of an elk. I had a kuiu 3200 I liked it a lot but went to a badlands super day for my day to day elk and bow hunt just smaller and lighter. Have a stone glacier as well lots like them to me it’s meh
Old 11-30-2019, 03:40 PM

I ask a similar question in the hunting section some of the guys had some great advice and information. Check out my post ( Hunting pack Ideas )
Old 11-30-2019, 03:44 PM

I’m assuming you are breaking down your animals, not trying to take them out whole...for pure hauling capability suggest you look at a metal frame/metal shelf system. Barney’s of Alaska is tops in the world, you can strap an outboard to it and go. If you want a used or low budget option camp trails and cabelas make decent metal/metal pack frames. Eberlestock frames are good, first gen belts kinda sucked but that’s been fixed, their bags are heavy so they lose out to everyone else for backpacking.

https://barneyssports.com/product/fr...eighter-frame/

Stone glacier is my current system and I love it for back country stuff, but no question metal/metal is the way to go for what youve described

Took an entire mulie doe out on my old camp trails pack...heavy but just fine. Couldn’t get near it to use the game cart

Last edited by 3blade; 11-30-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:57 PM

I did mean to say, I need to get my carcasses out whole, not in pieces......obviously gutted.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolopax-munster View Post
I did mean to say, I need to get my carcasses out whole, not in pieces......obviously gutted.
Same answer applies, but a lot less fun. Definitely need a metal frame to tie them to. No carbon or plastic, it won’t hold up to lateral force.

Guessing this has something to do with regulations?
Old 11-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Same answer applies, but a lot less fun. Definitely need a metal frame to tie them to. No carbon or plastic, it won’t hold up to lateral force.

Guessing this has something to do with regulations?
Its a very different situation over here in that we do not need tags, so if we have permission to hunt over the land, all land is generally owned, then there is no limit whatsoever on how many deer we can take. Plus we can sell them, with only minimal requirements provided they are in skin and whole. Once they are broken down and/or skinned, they are processed and regulations are stringent.

If I was hunting 1 or two for my own freezer then it really isn't far to pack out, but this is a regular thing.

I was impressed with this video of a fallow buck being packed out by a pack rabbit frame, looked very sturdy, ok yes it totally is too big for that frame but I am not regularly taking them out that size.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...o0oUQwhEHA_9YL
Old 11-30-2019, 04:46 PM

I see...anyway....That system has very little suspension adjustment, no lumbar padding, no back padding...think you’d regret it. Not to sound harsh, but this rabbit thing isn’t on the radar over here. If it was good, it would be known and in use, guys spend thousands on gear every year. It’s a hard world where every piece of gear is pushed as far as the human body can take it. If i was going to do that day after day, it would 100% be with a Barney’s, not a cheap plastic frame. You only get one body, gotta take care of it.

If you go with it, I’d test the heck outta it before field use....start at 30 lbs and work up. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 PM

Seek Outside Revolution Frame Pack

The advantages of a frame pack, with design and suspension improvements. A few different bag choices to pair with the frame, or use a Talon and just strap your cargo to the frame.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I see...anyway....That system has very little suspension adjustment, no lumbar padding, no back padding...think you’d regret it. Not to sound harsh, but this rabbit thing isn’t on the radar over here. If it was good, it would be known and in use, guys spend thousands on gear every year. It’s a hard world where every piece of gear is pushed as far as the human body can take it. If i was going to do that day after day, it would 100% be with a Barney’s, not a cheap plastic frame. You only get one body, gotta take care of it.

If you go with it, I’d test the heck outta it before field use....start at 30 lbs and work up. Good luck!
Appreciate your reply. Trying to find a second hand barneys is looking like it could be very difficult. Affording one new would have to wait a little while. It does seem like the best option for getting whole deer out. The other frames people have suggested above really are more suited for quartered, not whole deer.