Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 08:18 PM

What's heritage festival?
Seriously. I've never heard of it until now.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:02 PM

20 years or so ago they had an all out donnybrook at Heritage Days. They've been through this before. You can't bury centuries old hatred by throwing a party. Tribalism on display.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:25 PM

Diversity is our strength!
Old 07-13-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
20 years or so ago they had an all out donnybrook at Heritage Days. They've been through this before. You can't bury centuries old hatred by throwing a party. Tribalism on display.
Hell, there was an article in the Edmonton Journal warning Edmontonians that police cannot guarantee safety on our LRT, so how on earth are we to trust them to secure a battle between the Hatfields and McCoys?

Seems to me there is a lotta naďveté on display in this thread.

It’d be a beauty deal if we could all sing Kumbaya.

To think people in the midst of an active war will do so is Pollyanna in the highest.

But more importantly, in today’s day and age, people should rightly expect festivals and sporting events to mitigate risks as best as they can.

Do you all think that if Israel played Lebanon in a soccer match here in Edmonton, no sparks would fly?

Go talk to the Rabbi’s and Imams and ask em about vandalism and threats.

You’ll get a quick glimpse of the real underbelly of racism and ethnic hatred in a big hurry is my guess.

Last edited by sns2; 07-13-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hell, there was an article in the Edmonton Journal warning Edmontonians that police cannot guarantee safety on our LRT, so how on earth are we to trust them to secure a battle between the Hatfields and McCoys?

To think people in the midst of an active war will do so is Pollyanna in the highest.

But more importantly, in today’s day and age, people should rightly expect festivals and sporting events to mitigate risks as best as they can.

Do you all think that if Israel played Lebanon in a soccer match here in Edmonton, no sparks would fly?

You’ll get a quick glimpse of the real underbelly of racism and ethnic hatred in a big hurry.
Just cancel the entire event, no fights, and nobody gets offended.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

You’ll get a quick glimpse of the real underbelly of racism and ethnic hatred in a big hurry.
Thing is we are not in Russia or the Ukraine... The people here are Canadians. It take two to rumble so if it is going to be an issue, you ban both or neither. Banning one of two sides who are both Canadian based on what is happening on the other side of the world is the wrong answer imho.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-13-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just cancel the entire event, no fights, and nobody gets offended.
Is that you, KAREN???
Old 07-13-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Thing is we are not in Russia or the Ukraine... The people here are Canadians. It take two to rumble so if it is going to be an issue, you ban both or neither. Banning one of two sides who are both Canadian based on what is happening on the other side of the world is the wrong answer imho.
Banning Ukies ain't gonna fly in these parts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
What's heritage festival?
Seriously. I've never heard of it until now.
It a festival they have had in Edmonton above ground for over 40 yrs. Need to come up for air more often I think.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No they're not.

Trudeau said we are hyphens.

This is not a melting pot.

Do you need to go to Bessie's Summer School for Social Studies?

He is teaching on Trudeau Sr for the next few weeks.

Zing

In all seriousness Bob, it takes two to rumble. It only takes one for an assault. I think they are concerned about people caught in the crossfire of angry people.

It should have been approached within both of these communities, and each organizing group should have been given the chance to sit at a table and let them see if there indeed would be issues. I have a really hard time believing that they couldn’t have networked within their communities and been just fine if given a chance to act like adults.

I am quite certain by reading the stories, that never occurred.

It should have. The organizers really messed this up by waiting until such a late date.

And thus cancel culture reigns supreme.

I am going to do some digging with some cops I know to see if they heard anything as to the nature of the threats made that caused the whole unfortunate thing in the first place.

Last edited by sns2; 07-13-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Higher percentage of Ukrainians on the board of directors? Maybe?
Old 07-13-2023, 03:54 PM

an Easy RIGHT decision
Canada / North America...NATO stands with Ukraine as it is being invaded by another country killing peaceful people and destroying infrastructure.

whats equal rights got to do with anything
Old 07-13-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Is that you, KAREN???
Not at all, the Karens want to ban the Russian pavilion. My opinion is either don't ban any pavillion, or if you are too afraid to have a Russian pavilion, the event isn't worth having. This is Canada, it isn't the Ukraine or Russia, if people can't behave, deal with the troublemakers.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Not at all, the Karens want to ban the Russian pavilion. My opinion is either don't ban any pavillion, or if you are too afraid to have a Russian pavilion, the event isn't worth having. This is Canada, it isn't the Ukraine or Russia, if people can't behave, deal with the troublemakers.

Good point. The Russian people are not responsible for this current state of affairs. I have always said. The nations leaders , their families and the wealthy should by law be always sent to the front lines first before any other citizens. Then war would for the most part be non existent.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I think it’s unfortunate that it’s happening, but if there’s one side gonna be banned, as is long ago precedent set (Serbs & Croats), then it is not hard to figure which group should be banned. The side with an overwhelming number of war crimes charges against humanity is the first clue.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I think it’s unfortunate that it’s happening, but if there’s one side gonna be banned, as is long ago precedent set (Serbs & Croats), then it is not hard to figure which group should be banned. The side with an overwhelming number of war crimes charges against humanity is the first clue.
The war is Putin against the leaders of the Ukraine, not the Russian citizens against the Ukraine citizens , there is no reason to ban any Canadian group, because of their ancestry.
And if you must ban a pavilion, ban the Chinese Pavilion, they gave the world a disease that killed many people, and they interfered with our elections.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The war is Putin against the leaders of the Ukraine, not the Russian citizens against the Ukraine citizens , there is no reason to ban any Canadian group, because of their ancestry.
bingo.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
…if you must ban a pavilion, ban the Chinese Pavilion, they gave the world a disease that killed many people, and they interfered with our elections.
Mr. Karen. See image below.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Mr. Karen. See image below.

I was just pointing out, that if you want to ban something in Canada, at least ban something from a country that has recently acted aggressively against Canada. Russia attacked the Ukraine, not Canada.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:39 PM

Got that right!

Quote:
And if you must ban a pavilion, ban the Chinese Pavilion, they gave the world a disease that killed many people, and they interfered with our elections.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Well said, when you accept Canadian citizenship, you are Canadian, and all squabbles originating in other countries should be left in those countries.
Exactly. And for anyone causing trouble they should be on the first plane back to the ****hole they came from.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Exactly. And for anyone causing trouble they should be on the first plane back to the ****hole they came from.

What should and does happen are two different things. And the people that cause trouble damn well know it too.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:26 PM

And we need that (power)! but we do not have any of that! Just show's!
Quote:
What should and does happen are two different things. And the people that cause trouble damn well know it too.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:29 PM

We need to get tough with the law! The Mounties are not failing! Our courts are! Big Time!
Old 07-13-2023, 05:34 PM

They can't even keep the streets clean! DRUGS! is the problem! And they keep feeding them! Unreal! SS&S!
Old 07-13-2023, 05:47 PM

Default You!!!

Quote:
You should be suspended comrade!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-13-2023, 06:32 PM

Diversity is our strength
Old 07-13-2023, 06:55 PM

Ban culture. Shake my head.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:29 PM

Not letting Russians participate is wrong.

Wanna ban someone? Here's a few more options:

Germans (WWI and WW2)
China (covid, Great Leap Forward cost 40 million lives, elections etc)
Italians (see Germans)
Afghans
Pakistanis (gave refuge to Bin Laden)
Iraqis
Iranians
India (they sent us Amarjeet Sohi)
Albania (female trafficking)
Columbians (war on drugs)
Etc etc etc.......

The Russians here are Canadians.

Pretty soon you're standing alone, in your booth, handing out maple syrup sticks and poutine when an indigenous guy shows up and drives an arrow thru you......end of "Heritage Days"......
Old 07-13-2023, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You should be suspended comrade!!!!
Quit trolling. Your sig line line is a dead giveaway to how you are trolling me. Go back to teaching on Pierre salsa dancing with Fidel’s wife, while Fidel and Maggie played backgammon, and discussed winter in the Laurentians.
Closed Thread