Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Red Deer River

Decided to give the River a shot, it seemed to be running quite fast, so I ended up doing a pile of walking, took a few photos.

Learned that my coat wasn't suited for heavy down pours. Ended up soaked right through.

There was almost enough lightening to send me home but I rode it out and kept exploring a new water body, its these fishing nights that I take alone that I enjoy the most.
I was rewarded with a beautiful sunset that lit the entire river valley in gold. Not many Monday nights can compete!
Tried a few spots and had no luck. Saw a few Goldeye rise, but no takers. For now they remain on the bucket list. Next time.

Saw a full flock of Pelicans float down and then take off, wish I had the camera ready as it was an awesome sight. Taking off together then flying by with the wing tips just above the water.

On my return walk I had a beaver give me a good scare as it was hiding in a bush near the water. It ran off with a crash and splash and I continued on my way back to the car. Will need to invest in a head lamp as tearing the rod down in the dark wasn't to much fun.

Already looking forward to my next time out. Promised myself I'd get more trips in this year as I've slacked off over the last three!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 PM

Nice Pic--I have done the same trek up Fallen Timber and Burnt Timber a few times and always enjoy the walk back to camp at dusk the most.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 AM

thats a Awesome Pic. love the solitude of fishing alone with no sign of civilization!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Nice shot.

A small head lamp is a great piece of equipment if you enjoy late nights or very early mornings.

My wife gave me one for xmas a couple years ago.
Works great and is well worth the investment.