Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Agreed, most things are borderline junk these days.
We replaced our fridge last week, when we bought the old one the sales guy told us we'd be lucky to get 10 years from it, and we got exactly that - a few months shy of 10 years.

Same sales guy this year, now he says expect it to work anywhere from 3-7 years.
Heard the same thing, 7 years. Lol. 50 year old Kenmore garage/beer fridge still works great. Lol
Old 03-04-2024, 07:59 PM

Ihc fridge from the 50's is still going strong...
Old 03-04-2024, 09:42 PM

It’s simply the business model - got to drive revenue. If a quality item costs $100 and lasts 20 years, it’s better to sell a cheaper item that costs $20 and lasts 2 years - and society has been programmed to accept that. The company gets ongoing revenue that way over the 20 years instead of once and then showing no sales. So lower quality, shorter product life, and continual revenue is the goal. It’s almost as good of a model as simply renting you the item for a really low monthly charge - the newest model where more and more things are going.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
I realize that Moen and others have a pretty good lifetime warranty.

But I assume you would probably get the same crappy parts that wear down very quickly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

All I said was my old Moen faucet had a brass nut holding everything together, and lasted 10 years plus. New ones have cheap unknown metal ones...
Get the new parts for your old one.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:51 AM

There are well built products out there no matter what you are looking for. They cost more and the consumer will not spend the money. Companies figured that out long ago, it's why China does so well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-05-2024, 08:04 AM

it's why China does so well.

That's why they are now a threat to our existence, we enabled them.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-05-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
+- $53k USD and front diff explodes (just because).

Guy explains the supply chain debacle and workers enmasse sucking at their jobs/explains really well (2mins in) whats occurring with all manufacturers (ford/chev/toyota).

https://youtu.be/awUeWsm7hbg

A wack of this began when general public started to accept Preordering products before they had been thoroughly tested.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for posting that clip, short and to the point.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:27 AM

Default Fool me once shame on me, twice shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
It’s simply the business model - got to drive revenue. If a quality item costs $100 and lasts 20 years, it’s better to sell a cheaper item that costs $20 and lasts 2 years - and society has been programmed to accept that. The company gets ongoing revenue that way over the 20 years instead of once and then showing no sales. So lower quality, shorter product life, and continual revenue is the goal. It’s almost as good of a model as simply renting you the item for a really low monthly charge - the newest model where more and more things are going.

Except most of the folks we hang with won't repeat buy the same garbage if/when it fails ahead of manufacturer claims-many of those fly by nights won't be in business long enough to see their warranties play out.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-06-2024, 09:24 AM

Disposable society, everything is made with a short lifespan forcing us to replace rather than repair. A bill was passed in the fall for the right to repair but it hasn't been implemented yet. If the Gov doesn't get on this, we'll continue filling the landfills with disposable products that could and should be repaired, including EVs in the future. But hey, banning straws will save us
Old 03-06-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Except most of the folks we hang with won't repeat buy the same garbage if/when it fails ahead of manufacturer claims-many of those fly by nights won't be in business long enough to see their warranties play out.

Creeky....
Sure they will, these fly by nights been doing it for decades. Built in obsolescense is now a science and a fundamental manufacturing business practice. And people still fall all over themselves to gobble it up this junk because it is new, shiny, improved 'smart' product thats efficient and of course 'environmentally friendly'.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sure they will, these fly by nights been doing it for decades. Built in obsolescense is now a science and a fundamental manufacturing business practice. And people still fall all over themselves to gobble it up this junk because it is new, shiny, improved 'smart' product thats efficient and of course 'environmentally friendly'.

Hardly, if they're "fly by nights" they won't have been trading for decades-this from the Cambridge:

"Fly-by-night companies or business people cannot be trusted because they are likely to get into debt and close down the business to avoid paying the debts or satisfying agreements"

Creeky....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology