Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 11:45 AM

Default Looking for reasonably priced outfitters for a NZ Tahr Hunt

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Jim at King Peak Guiding is a top operator for free range hunts. Hunted tahr with him twice now for two very different but enjoyable hunts.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:23 AM

Chris at Track & Trail Safaris
Old 10-19-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Chances

The way New Zealand has gone this past couple years with guns, it may be a sketchy place to go on hunts now. Australia is even worse. Will be doing my red stag in Argentina now, or another not so anti gun country, if any remain.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:05 PM

We went a couple of time with Gary Herbert. Not real cheapbut had a great time and a great hunt. He offers firearm rentals in the package.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
The way New Zealand has gone this past couple years with guns, it may be a sketchy place to go on hunts now. Australia is even worse. Will be doing my red stag in Argentina now, or another not so anti gun country, if any remain.
Really, what gun laws in NZ or Australia would prevent you hunting there? Or is it more of a stand based on principles?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James270 View Post
Really, what gun laws in NZ or Australia would prevent you hunting there? Or is it more of a stand based on principles?
A guy I know went to NZ recently and arrived the day before his hunt. He said you have to leave your firearms with the police and produce a letter from the outfitter saying the hunt dates and you can only have your guns between those dates. So he had to check his guns in when he got there, then go back the first day of his hunt to sign his own guns out to go hunting. More BS than it’s worth IMO.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
A guy I know went to NZ recently and arrived the day before his hunt. He said you have to leave your firearms with the police and produce a letter from the outfitter saying the hunt dates and you can only have your guns between those dates. So he had to check his guns in when he got there, then go back the first day of his hunt to sign his own guns out to go hunting. More BS than it’s worth IMO.
Thats certainly different to my experience. Guns cleared at airport on arrival and off I went. The only time I did anything different was when I toured around for two weeks prior to a hunt and stored my rifle at a gun store in Christchurch rather than take it with me.

However, following the recent election result in NZ I suspect the regulations there will get tighter rather than looser in future.